Preferred Layer 3 Switch, and why?

I would like to know what some of you like to use for a Layer 3 switch, and why? In the process of buying some switches but would like to know what some of you think about the switch(s) that you have. I'm mainly looking for switches that have 10G Uplink(s) capacity with 24-48 available ports. Also let me know if the switch has a nice web interface for remote managing.

So far I have looked into the Netgear GSM7352S series and they look pretty impressive. Has built in 4x10Gig ports. Do any of you use those switches?
    www.opticip.com - Optic IP LLC

If you need 10G uplinks, there are some new models in the Cisco 3560E and 3560X series that take X2 or SFP+ modules. If you only need GigE uplinks, the 3560G is widely used in data center environments.

We're currently testing a WS-C3560X-24T-S with an IP Services upgrade. It will be taking default routes with BGP, as well as routing IPv6. If anyone wants to know how it goes, feel free to follow up with me by email.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Netgear's normally do have some ok, and possibly impressive features. However at the end of the day their still just a Netgear.

Personally I just wouldn't use them for a public facing network, especially not if I were going to push 10Gig+ through it.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

Quote Originally Posted by DMEHosting View Post
    I would like to know what some of you like to use for a Layer 3 switch, and why? In the process of buying some switches but would like to know what some of you think about the switch(s) that you have. I'm mainly looking for switches that have 10G Uplink(s) capacity with 24-48 available ports. Also let me know if the switch has a nice web interface for remote managing.

So far I have looked into the Netgear GSM7352S series and they look pretty impressive. Has built in 4x10Gig ports. Do any of you use those switches?
    I have some H3C S5600 (also relabeled by 3com) 24port models. They have a 2 10GE uplinks I'm not currently using. They seem to have huge issues with jumbo frames.

If I were looking for new ones with the same parameters (lower-than-cisco price, but high feature set) I might look at Allied Telesyn.

If I needed to know they'll run stable at full 10ge load and have well-implemented features I'd go with juniper ex or extreme.

For you it depends, is the switch just supposed to route a few subnets that are not their own AS? if yes then the netgear might be enough. If it's really internet-facing then you might wanna stay away from it. The datasheet doesn't really shine in the routing features.

Best? Juniper ex4200, cheaper? Go the cisco route mentioned above. Also in the mix a brocade CER it runs the same code as a mlx and iirc it can handle 512k routes in fib orrr the ces line which only handle 32k routes but still has bells and whistles.

I donīt know whether this one is true:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...yer_3_switches

But there are obviously differences.

Update: And no, donīt buy a Netgear for real business!
    Last edited by snoms; 02-05-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMEHosting View Post

If you need 10gbe ports, then the dell 6248 is a good option, assuming that the features on them match what you're looking for (ip address table size, routing protocols supported, etc). It's pretty easy to configure something like this with 4x10gbit ports and optics via ebay for under $2k, and they've performed solidly for me.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

We use a Cisco 3560G, but if you need 10Gig ports, a 3560-E will do the trick.

We had used HP and another brand i can't quite remember before trying Cisco, and i must say that Cisco has been the best out of all 3. We actually had problems with the other switches, he HP one died after 1 month of basically no usage. And the other one had some weird speed problem..