Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does SEO Hosting actually exist?

I dont think there is such thing as SEO Hosting, but on these forums alot of people seem to have brought it.

Am I right in saying there is no such thing? Or is there hosting which really helps SEO?
    Unhappy with your current host? Take at look at The Pro Host
    Daily Backups|Guaranteed 99% uptime|Friendly support
    What else do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pro Host View Post
    I dont think there is such thing as SEO Hosting, but on these forums alot of people seem to have brought it.

Am I right in saying there is no such thing? Or is there hosting which really helps SEO?
    By "SEO hosting," are you referring to hosting providers which may include specific SEO management, marketing, and/or analytical services with their packages? Or moreso hosts that provide a vast range of IP's on demand for various pages/websites associated with a single client or account?

NO! is your answer to the question .

Of course it does. Get hold of a marketing book and go to chapter "gimmicks".

It depends on how they define SEO hosting. If it's just hosting that they are providing you calling it SEO then yea pretty much it's b.s and you shouldn't fall for it in any type of way. Or more less it's hosting with additional features like keyword optimization , back links , or even if they build meta tags and other stuff for you then yes I would consider that SEO hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by gingir View Post
    Of course it does. Get hold of a marketing book and go to chapter "gimmicks".
    Exactly!

SEO Hosting is based on the (false) belief that spreading out your IP addresses will increase your rankings. For some reason, there are a fair amount of people who actually believe this. Google has come out and said that it has no effect on rankings. But people will believe what they want.

It's just another tool in the arsenal of mickey mouse SEO executives around the world who learn everything they know from a blog. For such types, anything they can't be bothered to metric themselves they do anyway 'just in case'. I think the fact that website ranking changes take a relatively long time to happen makes it easier for such types to perpetuate the belief that it's all some mysterious art. 'Snake oil' is a better term for most of it, as 90% of what they do (and get paid for) makes no difference.

Just run a sincere enterprise with a genuinely informative and useful website, make sure the site is developed by someone who knows what they're doing, and get involved with your target audience. That's all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pro Host View Post
    Or is there hosting which really helps SEO?
    There is, but it bears no relation to hosting marketed as "SEO Hosting". (Actually, there may be an inverse relationship in pratice).

Search Engines will tend to prefer sites that load quickly, and that do not have any long periods of downtime.

So the best hosting to help with SEO is hosting that avoids slow and overloaded servers. In short, find the best quality hosting that you can. It helps your site run well, and it will help SEO indirectly because search engines like good websites.

What that actually means is that the hosting setup is a tiny factor in how good a host is for SEO. The quality of the site is much more at issue. However a bad host, with slow servers, may well hamper the good SEO value of good and original content.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

SEO hosting originated as what is today called Wordpress hosting, Joomla hosting.

Onlike the others which are CMS, SEO hosting makes no sense.
    IP's may increase your site rankings, but it is not just the IPs. You need to do a lot of other things put together.

Real SEO hosting involves building a custom package for client based on his needs, and is not a stand-alone product.
    █▌ Cheapest Domain Registration Service & Shared Hosting Solutions .
    █▌ Skrill, Perfect Money, AdvCash, Webmoney,Monero, Neteller, BitCoin, Payeer, Crypto.
    █▌ Instant Domain Name Registration - Over 700+ Extensions x3reg.com!

SEO is SEO. Hosting is hosting. There really is no crossover. A host may also offer SEO services, but it's has NOTHING to do with hosting.

The idea that "SEO" has anything to do with IP addresses is utter stupidity, a complete lack of knowledge of online technology. It's snake oil for the gullible and ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by hostnesta View Post
    SEO hosting originated as what is today called Wordpress hosting, Joomla hosting.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by hostnesta View Post
    Real SEO hosting involves building a custom package for client based on his needs, and is not a stand-alone product.
    No.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

+1 - it's like saying "Fast Car Hosting". The two things are entirely unrelated.
    █ CanSpace Solutions - www.canspace.ca - Canada's leading domain registrar and web hosting provider
    Premium Canadian Web Hosting and .ca domains. Trusted by Canada's largest corporations
    Affordable Web Hosting | 24/7 Support | CIRA CERTIFIED | Proudly Canadian

Most of the benefits advertised by purported SEO hosts is nonsense. The myth that a dedicated IP for each of your websites from different ranges will improve your SERPs or that a shared IP will harm your SERPs has been explicitly debunked by Matt Cutts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4peSUa2FKvk
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrianHarrison View Post
    Most of the benefits advertised by purported SEO hosts is nonsense. The myth that a dedicated IP for each of your websites from different ranges will improve your SERPs or that a shared IP will harm your SERPs has been explicitly debunked by Matt Cutts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4peSUa2FKvk
    True! But the specific question asked/answered in that video doesn't really touch on any of the reasons why black hats once found advantages in SEO hosting. The old tactic was basically to create a web of cross linked sites that would appear unrelated from each other. This tactic did work very well for a while, hence, why Google spent major $$$ developing algorithms that could decrease the effectiveness of these types of tricks.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    The old tactic was basically to create a web of cross linked sites that would appear unrelated from each other. This tactic did work very well for a while, hence, why Google spent major $$$ developing algorithms that could decrease the effectiveness of these types of tricks.
    ... and that was years and years ago. The myth is long-since dead.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    ... and that was years and years ago. The myth is long-since dead.
    I knew someone that was still earning 7 figures with this setup as late as the "Panda" update in 11, this has been killed now, but not for that many years. The Panda update is really what changed the black hat landscape.

As an SEO myself, I will tell you that you guys are mixing things a bit. SEO hosting refers to hosting companies that allow you to host multiple domains with different IP addresses.

The idea is to buy several aged domains with high PR or domain authority and create small websites on these domains with links to your money site. Google devalues such links that are hosted on the same IP since that makes it pretty clear that the webmaster is using the domains to game the system by linking to his own site. An SEO hosting company aims at making certain that the different websites appear to belong to different people, thus preventing Google from inflicting penalties.

My thoughts: it works today, but it's only a matter of time before Google does its thing and blasts the heck out of all SEO hosts. If you want your personal link network, use several cheap hosts for each domain. It's cheaper and safer.

To clarify further: SEO hosting does not mean a host that automatically makes you rank better in Google.

I think some clarity is needed. The myth that most people are familiar with is the assertion that a link from a website with a dedicated IP will carry more weight than one with a shared IP. This indeed a myth, and has been debunked by Google multiple times. A lot of mickey mouse SEO executives believe this to be true and it's probably responsible for a fair amount of IP purchases.

The other myth is that lots of sites on the same IP address linking to each other will be less effective than those on different IP addresses linking to each other. This is actually kind of true, however all personal and external evidence I've seen over the years indicates that this only becomes a factor once you hit a level that Google considers spammy. For example, if Google can see 30 sites on a single IP all linking to each other than the chances are someone is playing games. A few? Could just be different sites on the same Dreamhost or GoDaddy.

Personally, I despise all things that involve gaming search engines including this behaviour. Nothing brings me more glee than seeing SEO executives crying over Google's algorithm updates messing up their carefully planned manipulation. After all, as a user my search results have only increased in quality over the years. The fact that this 'SEO hosting' is eating up valuable IP ranges only adds to my distaste.

@Arthur_Burlo, in your opinion then, this type of thing is still functional after the Panda update? The guy I knew that was doing it quit after the Panda update (bought a few apartment complexes instead), so I had assumed that this was no longer possible.

Although, he wasn't marketing his own "Money Site", he was getting paid big $$$ for "SEO services" via his link network (all boating or automotive related). He even had a contract with GM (for the Cobalt launch). Maybe his type of clients got more nervous about the changes than others.

@Ryan Williams, I hear you, personally I want search results to be manipulated as little as possible. It was hilarious when so many webmasters were crying because they were suddenly penalized for all the spammy links they had built up.

Ultimately, I think this will be a never ending chess match with new black hat tricks being developed, followed by search engine updates.

I find the term "money site" to be completely stupid. It means nothing, really.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

@ Ryan: Even TWO sites on the same IP would turn on a flag. None of the sites would be penalized but the links themselves will be devalued and no link juice will flow from one to the other. I tested this a number of times.

@ DWS2006: It still works. But you have to be extremely careful. It's not just a matter of using the same IP. You also don't have to use the same Google Analytics and AdSense accounts, you must not register the domains at the same registrar, you must not put too many links on the site, you must not link to different niches, you must not include links to sites that are known to buy or sell links... In other words, you must make it look 100% natural. If you do, there is really no reason why it should not work and it still does. I know of a blog that today (not three years ago) is outranking Wordpress.com for a super-popular search phrase related to blogging tutorials and Wordpress! And the owner is using nothing but a link network.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Burlo View Post
    @ Ryan: Even TWO sites on the same IP would turn on a flag. None of the sites would be penalized but the links themselves will be devalued and no link juice will flow from one to the other. I tested this a number of times.
    Nope. Not true at all.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Burlo View Post
    How exactly did you test it?

The problem with all the SEO claims I've seen is that it's very hard to do a controlled experiment, where one variable is changed and no more. I can't see how it would be possible to create two "networks" of sites that are identical in every respect except that one has the links in pairs (with two sites on each IP) and the other has totally distinct links. It's Schrodinger's cat: If the two networks of sites were truly identical in every other respect, Google would penalise you for having identical content, and your experiment would be invalidated by the fact you're running an experiment.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

James, I am not talking about link networks, just two sites linking to each other hosted on the same IP. I tested it by having two sites on two different IPs, one of them linking to the other. The site being linked to was new and that was the only link it had. The link came from a PR5 website. While I did this test when PR was not being updated, the SERPs showed clearly that the link had a positive effect. Impressions increased from 0 to 500 per day and the site was on page one of Google for a low competition keyword. Then I moved the new site on the same server as the linking PR5 site and within a week impressions dropped to 10 and it went to page ten of Google from page one. I repeated the experiment with the exact same outcome. No penalty was applied, but the link's effect was gone for good. Also moving the sites back does not help.

The "PR" shown publically is months out of date, and is NOT the internal PR. So your test is thus invalid.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    The "PR" shown publically is months out of date, and is NOT the internal PR. So your test is thus invalid.
    Not that I'm entirely convinced by the test because of numerous other factors that could lead to a site picking up during one period but not the next, the observation claimed is that traffic and search result positioning changed dramatically. The fact that one site was PR5 was largely incidental, apart from indicating that it clearly was a more senior site.

If the test were indeed repeatable and results measured properly then I'd certainly be willing to accept it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast