Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTorch View Post
    I got $1500MRC for a 100Mbps commit in the Omaha Metro area. Not the best price for Cogent, but considering the average Mbps price in Omaha, it's pretty darn good. I was quoted at $330/Mbps by one Omaha datacenter (which will remain unnamed to prevent humilation) on a Level3/ATT/GlobalCrossing/Savvis mix.

yeah I got a $300 per Mbps quote from Qwest (not including space or power). Then I got 5Mbps for$600.00 Per Month from D&E Comm. When I asked the sales rep who they where connected with he told me everyone. I guess that is true but not what I was asking.

When we contacted Cogent, they were $10 MBPS, but that required a minimum of 100MBITS commit. I too would not recommend them as your only uplink and would recommend them as a mix to lower your costs of bandwidth
    | ServerHub | an INC 500 Company | Enterprise Dedicated and Cloud Solutions Built for Scale |
    | AS62904: Dallas TX, Chicago IL, New York NY, Seattle WA, Phoenix AZ, Los Angeles CA, Miami FL | AS49532: Frankfurt DE, Amsterdam NL | sales@serverhub.com |

Quote Originally Posted by infinitienet View Post
    When we contacted Cogent, they were $10 MBPS
    $10 for 1 MegaByte a second sign me up!

Last month Cogent was running amazing deals I've never seen them do before. For those who snagged them, you better hold onto them!!!

I posted my sales rep's contact earlier in this thread...if you're in the market for great bandwidth value, I recommend pinging him in case he can still pull strings this month.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

It's usually $10/Mbit on a 100Mbit commit, if you commit more, they will go down ot $8/Mbit

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    For those who snagged them, you better hold onto them!!!
    that`s what many sales reps say and if you talk to them months later the deal is still available. Money talks !!!! :-)

when the bandwidth prices hit new low they stay that way and other competitors try meet or beat that pricing. Bandwidth prices keep going down every year and that will be the trend for years to come.
    Petr Kral - FDCServers.net 50+Tbps of internet connectivity https://www.epyc100gig.net/
    10Gbps, 100Gbps, 400Gbps Bare metal servers, VPS, CDN in 24 countries and 36 geo diverse locations
    10Gbps & 100Gbps IP transit in hundreds of locations at best market price

Quote Originally Posted by bummer6666 View Post
    that`s what many sales reps say and if you talk to them months later the deal is still available. Money talks !!!! :-)

when the bandwidth prices hit new low they stay that way and other competitors try meet or beat that pricing. Bandwidth prices keep going down every year and that will be the trend for years to come.
    Especially the case for most providers at the end of a month, when quotas need to be met.

This is so true. However last month certainly marked a change in the way cogent make deals. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    This is so true. However last month certainly marked a change in the way cogent make deals. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come.
    Actually there have been couple other carriers that came with same or even better deals than Cogent`s last month promo. I am pretty sure sure the way things are going we`ll see $1-2/Mbps bandwidth in 12-24 months.
    If you have large commit to swing around you can get Cogent like pricing or even better from other carriers and their bandwidth will be more marketable. If you can not do high commits and Cogent is not your only upstream provider they certainly can help to lower your overall bandwidth cost
    Petr Kral - FDCServers.net 50+Tbps of internet connectivity https://www.epyc100gig.net/
    10Gbps, 100Gbps, 400Gbps Bare metal servers, VPS, CDN in 24 countries and 36 geo diverse locations

(...) I am pretty sure sure the way things are going we`ll see $1-2/Mbps bandwidth in 12-24 months (...)
    Totally agree
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    Totally agree
    I've been hearing the $1-2/mbps for 5 years now. I'm not holding my breath, and you shouldn't either.

Regards,

I contacted the cogent rep that contacted me originally...

I want to drag him into this thread to see if he can address some of this pricing...

Just got word back... looks like this:

How timely; Cogent’s standard pricing has just been amended; for tiered GigE service, 100MB increments, we now will charge: $8/meg on 1 YR term; $7/meg on 2 YR term; $6/meg on 3 YR term.

For full GigE service, 1,000MB dedicated, pricing schedule is: $7/meg on 1 YR term; $6/meg on 2 YR term; $5/meg on 3 YR term.

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    I've been hearing the $1-2/mbps for 5 years now. I'm not holding my breath, and you shouldn't either.

Regards,
    ehhh I guess there is a difference between what you`ve been hearing and what others have been seeing.

If you want to use last 5 years you could see prices going down from $30/Mbps to sub $5/Mbps . So $1-2/Mbps bandwidth is not that hard to imagine

Quote Originally Posted by tnndotnet View Post

How timely; Cogent’s standard pricing has just been amended; for tiered GigE service, 100MB increments, we now will charge: $8/meg on 1 YR term; $7/meg on 2 YR term; $6/meg on 3 YR term.

For full GigE service, 1,000MB dedicated, pricing schedule is: $7/meg on 1 YR term; $6/meg on 2 YR term; $5/meg on 3 YR term.
    You don`t want to do contract longer than 1 year. Not when bandwidth pricing goes down every year by %30-%50

But those prices are friggin insane at this time.

With some of our other carriers 3 year commit is the minimum to get decent pricing.

EDIT:

I need to add in that still, you dont want to be switching carriers every year.

But those prices are friggin insane at this time.

With some of our other carriers 3 year commit is the minimum to get decent pricing.

EDIT:

I need to add in that still, you dont want to be switching carriers every year.
    couple scenarios why no to do a long term contract with any carrier

#1 do the math. If they are quoting you $5/Mbps (that price has been around for last 6 months) and prices drop to $3/Mbps 1 year from now and to $2/Mbps 2 years from now. How much money could you have saved ?

#2 Beware of Cogent`s abuse dept - gigE customers are small potatoes for Cogent. If you have a problem on your network (could be you or your customer) and Cogent feels like shutting you they`ll do it and they`ll go after you for the remainder of the contract

You don`t want to do contract longer than 1 year. Not when bandwidth pricing goes down every year by %30-%50
    Our contract allows for changing "standard" rates. Cogent isn't out to get you locked into a bad price, they just want to keep your business.

I just verified this, it's true. The rates are even better for 10ge.
    Last edited by FastServ; 06-02-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Its not the greatest for gaming... but I may have to invest some money into a rack of servers and start a little subsidiary providing very cheap servers...

Wow, I didn't realize they would go 5-6 per mpbs, I would assume that is on a full 1000mbit commit.
    | ServerHub | an INC 500 Company | Enterprise Dedicated and Cloud Solutions Built for Scale |
    | AS62904: Dallas TX, Chicago IL, New York NY, Seattle WA, Phoenix AZ, Los Angeles CA, Miami FL | AS49532: Frankfurt DE, Amsterdam NL | sales@serverhub.com |

Quote Originally Posted by infinitienet View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize they would go 5-6 per mpbs, I would assume that is on a full 1000mbit commit.
    I cant believe it either... and for tiered GigE, 100mbps increments. Almost... too cheap to be true...

Yeah that truly is insane. I mean in our VBC datacenter we have a cogent mix and they have hardly gone down. But then in our Toronto Datacenter Cogent maintained a 96% uptime. Go Figure.

I am sure people have been in contact with Cogent regarding connectivity...

They gave me a price for a 100 Megabit and a 1 Gigabit connection. So I wanted to see what people were quoted by Cogent.

He claims they have re-structured their entire business over the past 12 months.

He quoted $10/Megabit... How does this compare to anyone else?

Also is even getting a connection thru Cogent worth it?

Thanks!
    What facilities are you in? You may be better off buying from a company that buys Cogent and/or other networks. Many would be willing to match or beat Cogent's pricing and probably be a bit more flexible with the term. You'd also have the benefit of utilizing their other network providers should Cogent have any peering issues or downtime.
    Sitelutions: www.sitelutions.com -- Reliable Hosting, Low-Cost Domains, Dynamic DNS
    IFlex Data Center.: FlexData.Center
    Northern Virginia & Washington DC Area Data Center Colocation

LOL. It seems someone from Cogent is monitoring this forum, as I was looking through our Live Chat logs and someone from Cogent, was referred to our site by this forum. The Cogent Eyes are watching

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast