Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Can anyone tell me why nobody is considering the opensource alternatives, specifically PunBB? It loads and feels faster than vBulletin and IPB.

Because you're on the safe side when you use software that's proven and which has tech support in case something goes wrong. And to pay $150 / $200 for forum software for a website that earns you over $1000 a month is nothing. Open source forums are ok but since it's not proven effective on variety of sites, people won't trust it.
    Would you run site of WHTs magnitude on an open source (free) forum?
    Dyslexics Have More Fnu

vBulletin has better support,thats what i have confirmed in last few weeks.
    Anyone has a perfromance comparision chart ?
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

Well, I figured I'd chime in on this issue.

I have owned numerous forums. Lately all of them being on vBulletin. I perfer them over any forum software, by leaps and bounds.

I started with Proboards, where you get what you pay for. Nothing.

Then I tried IPB which is nice. But vBulletin's features out do it by far.

vBulletin is just the way to go. It handle thousands of members and visitors. It can be upgraded. It can be modified and customized to fit your needs perfectly. Anything you want for vB, can be done.

Never have I experienced a problem with overloads or anything with vB either.

Quote Originally Posted by damier
    But in the end they did the right thing.
    Yes, but only after heavy intervention by the owners and members. However whatever the outcome was, only the fact that such an issue arose should be a huge warning to go with them. One day you might end up with a revoked license for a product you actually paid real money for because the developer did not like the topic of your forum.

Quote Originally Posted by damier
    Vb people are just on a power trip.
    Correct and thats the thing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by maxymizer
    Because you're on the safe side when you use software that's proven and which has tech support in case something goes wrong.
    Right, but this doesnt mean it has to be a commercial application.

And to pay $150 / $200 for forum software for a website that earns you over $1000 a month is nothing.
    Correct, but not every forum makes that much money a month.

Open source forums are ok but since it's not proven effective on variety of sites, people won't trust it.
    Are you talking of punbb in particular or of open source forums in general? In the former I might agree with you, in the latter definitely not.

Would you run site of WHTs magnitude on an open source (free) forum?
    Sure, why not. After all its most probably running on an open source operating system as well.

I used to use IPB, but eventually switched over to VB. Both were good but in the end I preferred VB especially because I liked how the template system was set up much more.

Quote Originally Posted by zoid
    Yes, but only after heavy intervention by the owners and members. However whatever the outcome was, only the fact that such an issue arose should be a huge warning to go with them. One day you might end up with a revoked license for a product you actually paid real money for because the developer did not like the topic of your forum.
    If your hosting a forum for the right reasons and are not stepping or walking a fine line between right and wrong you will never have to worry about your license being revoked. If you hosting a forum that s borderline of what it right and wrong then you should not be hosing it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    If your hosting a forum for the right reasons and are not stepping or walking a fine line between right and wrong you will never have to worry about your license being revoked. If you hosting a forum that s borderline of what it right and wrong then you should not be hosing it at all.
    Thats exactly the question. Who is in the position to determine what is right and what not. In this case a customer purchased a legal license of a product but got this license revoked just because the forum's topic is not appreciated by the developer although it is completely legal. Correct me if I am wrong but such actions border to fraud.
    And this doesnt even take into account that such a decision would not be even up to the developer if it were illegal content. In such a case the owner could be prosecuted by the jurisdiction but this could never be a reason to revoke a paid license.

Thats exactly the question. Who is in the position to determine what is right and what not. In this case a customer purchased a legal license of a product but got this license revoked just because the forum's topic is not appreciated by the developer although it is completely legal. Correct me if I am wrong but such actions border to fraud.
    And this doesnt even take into account that such a decision would not be even up to the developer if it were illegal content. In such a case the owner could be prosecuted by the jurisdiction but this could never be a reason to revoke a paid license.
    You are absolutely correct in what you are trying to point out, they should not have done anything and I think they have learned from there mistakes.

What I was trying to point out was that if you are trying to run a ligament forums that is not in question morally or ethnically then you should have nothing to worry about from any direction.

Other then that, in my honest opinion vBulletin is far superior then any other forum software and if you read all the reviews on this site most every that ran other software that switched to vb do not regret it. You do not hear much about users that stopped using vb going to other forum software.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    You are absolutely correct in what you are trying to point out, they should not have done anything and I think they have learned from there mistakes.

What I was trying to point out was that if you are trying to run a ligament forums that is not in question morally or ethnically then you should have nothing to worry about from any direction.

Other then that, in my honest opinion vBulletin is far superior then any other forum software and if you read all the reviews on this site most every that ran other software that switched to vb do not regret it. You do not hear much about users that stopped using vb going to other forum software.
    I wonder however whether they consider this as mistake and didnt just reactivate the license due to the many complaints and negative publicity. Somehow I doubt it.

Also it would be interesting where their moral and ethic starts. Next time they revoke a license perhaps because the forum is about a particular political direction, animal rights or some other topic not appreciated by them.

The technical point of view is of course another matter. I have to admit I do not know the internals of vbulletin, therefore I cant make definite technical statements but considering its popularity especially on high-traffic sites I guess one can assume its code quality isnt that bad. Again this statement is based on an assumption and not a code review.
    But saying this only applies to vbulletin would be probably a bit biased.

Considering their apparent business practices I would stay away from vbulletin as far as possible.
    And how quickly have we forgot about how IPS bluntly abuse their free users for testing their 2.0, claiming it will be free, and then take it off within 24 hours of release only to announce commercial license, no downgrade path, and no future bug fixes for those that upgraded and helped tested their software the whole time...
    Warning: include('signature') [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in eval'd code on line 38
    Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'signature' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in eval'd code on line 38

Quote Originally Posted by HostingFroggy
    vBulletin is just the way to go. It handle thousands of members and visitors. It can be upgraded. It can be modified and customized to fit your needs perfectly. Anything you want for vB, can be done.
    And every other forum software can do that. Thats nothing Vb specific.

And scripters charge more to do vb then they have when i asked for the same thing on IPB or PHP.
    Upfront Business Solutions
    A Cloud & Microsoft SaaS provider
    "Creating you a online web presence"

Quote Originally Posted by NE-Andy
    And how quickly have we forgot about how IPS bluntly abuse their free users for testing their 2.0, claiming it will be free, and then take it off within 24 hours of release only to announce commercial license, no downgrade path, and no future bug fixes for those that upgraded and helped tested their software the whole time...
    Great point Andy. I was one of those who used their 2.0 unlimited trial version and it was such a pain to upgrade it to the current version..

Both of the mentioned (vB and IPB) are really good but since I've read what vB have done to hongfire.com, it made me think a bit more about forum software as I was planning to use vB on one of my client's sites. I think I'll give PunBB a try
    Dyslexics Have More Fnu

i need your opinion for vbulletin vs inviosn about Server Load.

There are generaly the same
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

I find IPB more readable (code wise) than vBulletin. Almost everything is based on classes which makes the code a little more organized. than vB.

I've to admit that vBulletin has better template management than IPB, better plugins/mod manager as well.On the contrary IPB has an improved template cache system which makes it behaves a little faster than vBulletin when printing out the page.

Ah, the last thing.. vB has its years, dedicated community, people working daily for mods/hacks at vb.org. IPB doesnt or its not as big a vBulletin, being a reason of why arent there a variety of mods unlike vBulletin.
    Last edited by dzv3; 03-18-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Yeah, IPB does have a more friendly feel to it,

Frankly I'd be happy with any of them.

If your wanting a good fast bulletin board, then i suggest PunBB
    its low on server load but it does not have all the features on it such as private messaging, poll ect, but there is another site for it that has all the modifications on that you will need.

been using it for about 2 years now and loving it, good community there that will help out alot.

Correct,get punbb if you want lower server load and less features
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

i recommend vb any day, its great. I recently bought it, its amazing

Quote Originally Posted by freak
    IPB probably costs too much. The fact that most big sites are using vBulletin should mean something
    i agree with you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123