Credit card processing (Please Help)

Hi, i am starting up my own web hosting bizz, the next thing i need is a credit card proccessing company to handle my orders.

I was looking at 2checkout.com but my partner says he has heard many bad things about them..

I also live in the UK so it would help if there was a service in the UK, however british services always seem to be EXPENSIVE.

What would you guys reccomend? Also i have a tight budget, so i don't really want to have to pay over $50 signup fee.

Thanks.

Go to the "Running a Web Hosting Biz" there is plenty of places you can check out. I recommend Paypal. Fast, No Sign up fees and extremely secure.
    -Max
    Max

Thanks for your quick reply. We are currently using Paypal however it has a few downsides.

1. People have to sign up to PayPal before they can make a purchase which may put people off considdering that it is time consuming.

2. They take a lot of money from each transaction.

3. They have annoying adds.

4. It just gives a cheap impression and i feel that we need somthing a little better.

Anyway what do you think of www.2checkout.com ? I have seen it used on many websites, i have used it to make payments to others many times and i have never had a problem with it, but i guess that is only client side.

2checkout is good.
    A real merchant might be better though but 2checkout is good to start with.
    Every companys has problems at some point of time but 2checkout has got good support people like Kristin and Tom and they are providing a genuine service and reasonable cost.
    Hope it helps.
    I'm not affiliated in any way with 2checkout though..lol
    AIM: jamesab73.

http://www.paysystems.com/IBA.htm you can even bill using british pounds

2checkout and PaySystems are the big players, but you might want to check out www.worldpay.com out as well

We currently use 2Checkout and think they are great. We have not had any trouble with them. And the few times we had tickets open with them we had quick fast responses.

The only downside is they have a higher % and per transaction fees than a real merchant account. But then again there is no monthly fee. It just depends on how much money you are processing each month.
    ---
    Robert Nelson

What if your on a budget?

Has anyone got experience with Costco Merchant Solutions?
    Their fees are pretty good. 2.03% and 28cents per Visa/Mchg transaction.
    I'm thinking about going that route.

We actually use PayPal.

I haven't seen any of the ads you were referring to though, and we've been using them for quite some time.

While it's true that to some customers, it gives a cheap impression, I assure you it's only because of the headlines PayPal has made for themselves in the past.

We have never had any problems with PayPal. It's easy, free, and secure, and you can get a atm/debit card that gives you instant access to your money (the second a customer pays, it's avail. on the card to use)

PayPal has also been bought out by eBay. So even better things seem to be coming from them.

We too are trying to find another merchant provider to offer along with PayPal, because of some customer perception.

We're just trying to find another InstaBill.com
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

I have heard that PayPal will freeze account when they like. So, if you use them, never have more than $100 on your account.

We have never had that problem. Although we've heard the same thing. We've kept a few thousand in there at a time. They have yet to freeze our account, since we've signed up (it's been a few years)
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

Pay Pal does not have any ads on merchants payment pages. They have ads on their main page only. A customer will not see those pages when they spend money at your site. Pay Pal is no different than any other merchant account or third party processor. ALL will freeze your money if they suspect fraud, you will not be able to pay fines, fees or chargebacks.

In addition to the MC debit cards, free bank transfers, and immediate reconciliation (which you can't get with a "real" merchant acount) PayPal also does a better job at scrubbing than other 3rd party billing. Plus they do it all this for less than a"real" merchant account would cost.

There is no application fee. This alone saves you $50-500.00.
    There are no terminal fees. Generally $49/mo or $750.- 1200.00 one time.

We are discussing "business" here rihgt? I'd rather have a sound engine and transmission in a beatup/dirty body than a faulty/costly engine and transmission in shiny car.
    • Ddos, DOS, Brute force protection • White Label Reseller Hosting. • Proactive Server Management
    • 20+ years experience! • sales@uncensored-hosting.com
    Uncensored-Hosting • X @UncensoredHost

I recommend Paypal.

Paypal might be ok if you target the US or Canada market... but if you intend to target the international market as well go for a real credit card company - it will also provide you with a more professional business image. Many people outside of the US and Canada no nothing about Paypal and you would certainly loose customers. We would never use paypal alone but might consider providing it as an extra payment option.

John

I recommend Paysystems. Paypal does have its issues and it's not an urban myth, because I know of people who had been screwed by them.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

Originally posted by nogi
    I recommend Paypal.

Paypal might be ok if you target the US or Canada market... but if you intend to target the international market as well go for a real credit card company - it will also provide you with a more professional business image. Many people outside of the US and Canada no nothing about Paypal and you would certainly loose customers. We would never use paypal alone but might consider providing it as an extra payment option.

John
    well said...
    and this is more important for your business site outside of the US....
    I recommend worldpay if intend to target the international market ..
    ok done

Originally posted by Ankit
    2checkout and PaySystems are the big players, but you might want to check out www.worldpay.com out as well
    I would have said worldpay where a bigger player than either of them.
    worldpay is well above the $50 setup you require, best price i have had from them is £380 setup inc future pay.

if you think paypal fees are high then you may have problems both paysystems and 2co charge similar fees and high transfer fees to uk.

worldpay charge only 35 pence per transfer to your bank. so the setup fee could be saved when compared to wire fees you pay with 2co and paysytems.

Freechariot.co.uk is a cheaper alternative £135 setup but i don`t think they offer monthly billing , this may have changed .
    If you absolutley can`t go higher than $50 setup it kills me to say it but go with paystems they are probably the best in that price range , then in a few months when cashflow improves go to worldpay.