How to host a website on Plesk10

I'm an experienced web developer, hosting most of my project on localhost or on shared webhosting, I know have around 5 sites that I would like to host so I purchased a VPS from 123Reg with Plesk10 Panel, however I have no clue or have seen no tutorials on how to host a single website using Plesk10. I have created the client with the domain but the clients webspace, but have no idea where to get DNS information from or where to place the files in the directory as the client is set up to use the root hosting director 'httpdocs' or something like that, can any one point me to some tutorials on it?

-Marinello12, all help is much appreciated

Are you hosting your DNS on the server or at your domain registrar? If you are hosting the DNS with your registrar you will simply point the domain to the IP you assigned the domain to in Plesk.

If you are planning to host the DNS on this server you will need to go to the registrar and create custom nameservers-- ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com. You will create these using the IP of your server. You will then point the domain to your server using these two nameservers. On the server you will need to make a couple changes to the default DNS configuration. You will need to add A records for NS1 and NS2 that use the IP of your server. You can add the DNS records using the steps below.

1) Log into your Plesk control panel as admin.
    2) Click on Domains in the left hand navigation bar..
    3) Click on the Control Panel link for the domain you want to modify.
    4) Click on the Websites & Domains tab.
    5) Click on the DNS Settings button.
    6) To add a DNS entry, click the Add Record icon and fill out the record information on the next page.

Slight differences exist between different versions of Plesk 10. If you cannot follow these please post the exact version of Plesk you are using.
    Mike

Also, if you're only hosting the site for yourself (and you don't plan to sell shared hosting services) probably you should be using Plesk in "Power User View" (as opposed to Shared Hosting View). Doing this will simplify the interface and remove aspects you don't need (like billing, customers, service plans, etc):
    http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk...Name=about.htm

I have switched to power user mode, created a new site with a directory and I have currently tried to forward my URL to my hosting...not sure if I have done it right though. I have just pointed my 123reg URL using an A record to the IP address of the VPS...Is this right?

Hi Marinello12,

Yes, this is a good start. Depending on a few technical factors (TTL, ISP caching of DNS records, etc), your domain name should start bring up your new VPS hosted site in about 24 hours.

That said, just to give you your options available: it sounds like you're current using the DNS services (i.e. "mapping" of domain names and sub-domain names to IP addresses) of 123reg. Which, is fine - but if go in this direction, I'd recommend to disable the DNS functions of Plesk (because you're managing these via 123reg). Further, it would be a good idea to double check your DNS configuration at 123reg and make sure that any sub-domains you need (including "www") are forwarded to your new VPS server. You may want to check with their support team and even see if they can help you setup a "wildcard" direct to your VPS server (i.e. any sub-domain of your website will forward to your new server) to just make everything automatic in the future.