What software is needed to stream video on a Linux server?

I want to setup a music video streaming website for indie bands and my question is what software do I need on my Linux server to stream all the most popular video formats? Ideally I would like to use free or low cost streaming solutions. The formats I need to stream are...

WMV
    MPG
    AVI
    3g2
    MOV
    Real
    Mp4
    Flash

2. Will it be an ondemand thing? Or will you be streaming it live to a media server?
    Main Choice Media
    Web Hosting | Shoutcast Hosting | Media Streaming
    http://www.mainchoicemedia.com

Sorry, should have said 100% on demand...

Is a windows server better than a linux server for streaming? I see alot of people recommending windows. What is the benefit of linux or windows for video streaming?

darwin ss is always good to use, it can do videos of quicktime and mp4, good stuff

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/streaming/
    Have a GD / WWD question? PM Me!
    Domains and Hosting at Airdepth.net - Free Web Software Install
    Go Daddy / WWD Reseller Stores for less at Metrodatacenter.net with Personal Support

looks like darwin doesn't stream windows media formats, avi, mpg, wmv, etc? What softwre would be needed for these formats and could it be run in combination with darwin?

What about helix? Does anyone have any experience streaming with helix? https://helixcommunity.org/

Do you even need any special streaming software on a linux server? Or can you simple upload the video files and embed them in your page?

i dunno, i haven't looked into it, maybe there is one streaming server software that sreams everything, anyone know?
    Have a GD / WWD question? PM Me!
    Domains and Hosting at Airdepth.net - Free Web Software Install
    Go Daddy / WWD Reseller Stores for less at Metrodatacenter.net with Personal Support

Do you even need any special streaming software on a linux server? Or can you simple upload the video files and embed them in your page?
    By definition, streaming is like watch TV or listening to online radio. If you are streaming content which is constantly changing then you need streaming software. As stated above, you need Darwin or Mac OS X Server for QT streaming and I would imagine Windows for WMV streaming. However, if your content isn't constantly changing there is no reason why you can't just embed a QuickTime movie etc into a page on your website.
    TJR Networks - Quality web hosting for everyday people...

you can use shoutcast server
    Comcities.com| provide hosting solutions – Since 2002
    Icecast Hosting | Shoutcast Hosting | Mobile Streaming | Live TV Streaming | Live Radio Streaming
    CPanel Hosting Solutions | Dedicated Servers | Wowza Media Dedicated Servers | CDN Solutions