The Best Free Control Panel? Or the best cheap control panel?

Hi guys, I'm just wondering what is the best free control panel at the moment, I had a look at VHCS, it is really nice except I heard development has halted?

If no free good panels are out there I wouldn't mind paying for a cheap commercial one, Plesk & Cpanel is out of the question unless I can get a cheap license for only 10-20 Domains? Thats all I need.

Thanks in advance

You can try directadmin, either purchase or lease. I think lease is US$29/mth for unlimited domains. You can also sign up as their reseller for cheaper pricing.

direct admin would be around $20/mth and it's unlimited domains
    HalfDedi.com • Half Dedicated Half Price
    We provide affordable VPS hosting solution Singapore datacenter

Here is a list you may like to refer http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/H...control_panels
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Yes, VHCS developments stopped in early 2006, with no signs that it will start again.

Have you ever tried either ISPConfig, or our DTC control panel? I think these 2 are the leading open source solutions. Best option for you is to simply install them and try, as it's free. Maybe you can try in a virtual machine like VMWare if it's only for testing. You might as well want to try web-cp and syscp if you have time.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

I think DirectAdmin is a pretty good panel for a cheap price. It's features are similar to cPanel, it uses less resources, it's very simple, and the pricing is a lot cheaper compared to cPanel.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

Try ISPconfig its a decent FREE control panel. I am a big fan
    Seeksadmin.com Owner: Providing Security, Administration and Optimization since 2001

Now Offering Windows Serivces.

servercp from zervex.com is the best bet, but its free edition gives you only root login, all domains under root.
    Its better then vhcs/ispconfig lot.

DirectAdmin is by far the best "cheap" hosting control panel out there.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

I had a look at DirectAdmin pricing, at $29/Month its almost as expensive as CPanel? My host also offered me Plesk 30 Domain license for $18, is there somewhere where directadmin licenses are cheaper or something?

Quote Originally Posted by lolmannz View Post
    I had a look at DirectAdmin pricing, at $29/Month its almost as expensive as CPanel? My host also offered me Plesk 30 Domain license for $18, is there somewhere where directadmin licenses are cheaper or something?
    CPanel external licenses cost much more than $29; you can get cPanel licenses cheaper only if they are internal (i.e. work only at one datacenter). You can get internal DirectAdmin licenses for only $9.99 a month.

However, if you found some place that sells external cPanel licenses for $29 a month, please let us all know where
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

I found something for you while surfing on net ...
    A web hosting control panel is a web interface provided by hosting providers to enable their clients to manage their hosting accounts. Simply called control panel by industry players, it empowers those without a technical background to effectively administer their websites without recourse to a provider’s help.

Web hosting companies pre-install control panels. Some web hosts have invested into their own control panels, while others offer off-the-shelf control panel solutions. There are many different control panels available on the market today. Most of them are known for their unique features and ease of use. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/H...control_panels
    Looking for someone to manage Link Building? Have a look at BlognList link building.Also join, attractive
    Link building affiliates.

I searched for many years for a good admin panel to use and eventually came to decide on DTC. The only drawback it had for me was that it is based on Debian (though it "can" be installed on a variety of Linux distros). The folks responsible for its development are very helpful and their support forums are active (including the developers).

Thanks for what you are saying about DTC, and about us.

But what do you have against Debian? Also, if it was true that DTC didn't support well other distro, now we have a CentOS port, and I think it's quite production ready. We didn't have enough returns on it, most people seem to choose Debian anyway. If there was any issue on CentOS, we would fix them asap, but it seems that over the last 6 months, we fixed most (if not all) of them.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Debian....and DTC

I don't have anything "against" Debian-- I simply had never used it and it has taken some getting used to as I've worked with it. We all have our preferences and we're all "right" in our own corners of the universe. :-)

As for you and your staff, I will gladly provide a testimonial about the progress made and the high level of support and competence of Thomas and his folks. His company is an example of what an open source developer *should* do. They have an awesome control panel which they've released as open source-- but they make their money on hosting (and I'm among their satisfied customers).

Free panels
    * AlternC
    * ASM
    * DTC
    * ISPConfig
    * ISPcp Omega
    * RavenCore
    * SysCP
    * VHCS
    * VishwaKarma
    * web-cp
    * Webmin
    * ZPanel
    * GNUPanel

thanks for the link 'RICK22'

Dose any one know of any free CP that support cluster servers?

free CP would be awesome (would save me 1000's)