Thread: Idiotic CGI

Idiotic CGI

Hey all,
    Whenever I install a cgi script, and point to it in my browser, i get a 404 error even though IT IS THE RIGHT PATH and THE FILE EXISTS. This makes no sense to me. It's like my server thinks it doesn't exist or something. Any ideas as to why? This is frustrating as hell!

Put an HTML file in the same location and see what it says

I'd suggest checking your spelling and capital letters.
    File.CGI is not the same as file.cgi
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

i'm very aware of my capitals, and an html file doesn't show up either. I kept it simple by putting a.html in there. Nope, no good. This is truly puzzling.

i've installed this script at least 30 times before on other servers, including on another domain on the same server i'm using right now, and it works just fine. VERY weird I just tried to install a different script and it's not working either, this time in the base (/cgi-bin/) cgi dir, instead of /cgi-bin/directory/blah.cgi...

A 404 error is definitely a 'wrong path' error. Now if you were getting a 500 error then at least your script would using the right path.

Care to share more details on the situation? From what is posted I would agree it doesn't make sense but as they say, an extra pair of eyes never hurts when troubleshooting.

Also, is it safe to presume file permission is correct?
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

If your running IIS in Windows and I'm not sure if you are or not, ensure your ISAPI is set correctly and is enabled in permissions. Otherwise, the web server won't recognise the file type and display 404.

Originally posted by distincthead
    i'm very aware of my capitals, and an html file doesn't show up either. I kept it simple by putting a.html in there. Nope, no good. This is truly puzzling.
    It's very likely a wrong path you've got there.

Trust me it's not a wrong path, I've entered it correctly many, many times.

The URL is http://****meister.com/cgi-bin/awgtr...min/trades.cgi
    the other one is
    http://****meister.com/cgi-bin/at/admin.cgi

404 errors all the way.