The Fenix Guest

Question

Hello, im looking hosts (dedicated), but well know providers, what you thing about dellhost.com?

I can't give you any first hand experience, so don't put too much weight on what I say. I do know someone who has had a server with them about 3 months now. He has a RAID array and was paying about $500 monthly. He called me a couple of days ago and mentioned that they had dropped his price by $100 a month since they were now offering a more powerful processor at that level.

He has been happy with the service and uptime so far. It does seem like Dell is out to make a really good name for themselves in hosting to match their reputation in computer hardware.

Note, however, that they give less bandwidth (and charge more for it) than other companies (like DI for one) so they may not be as inexpensive as they seem. They also charge for additional IP addresses (though I think they give you 16 to start). I found out about them just as I was ordering my server from DI and decided against Dellhost for a few reasons, total cost being one of them. Still, it seems it wouldn't be a bad choice. This is a company that cares about their reputation and has been doing well with customer service in hardware sales, so they certainly have the right attitude as well as integrity.

That is more important than anything else and should be the first thing any serious webmaster considers, especially for a business site.

One good thing... They give you true bandwidth, not the 95% crap like Dialtone.

Once bad thing... They lock you into a 12 month contract so if you are dissatisfied with their service you are still stuck with them for the remainder of your contact.

Also, look at their tech support charges. For the best support and service without contract and no 95% bandwidth I would go with Rackspace.com. Once my contract with Dialtone expires I will be moving over to them.

Scott

racker Guest

I called rackspace @ 1:00am PST to test there 24hr tech support, I had some questions about RAID1 and the guy new what I was talking about and answered all my questions.

Scott
    I develop and host ecommerce sites for people, I was looking to move to better dedciated server provider and was looking at rackspace, the only thing that id holding me back is the fact that it is almost impossible to move servers without any downtime. Can you tell me how you plan to do it?

Scottlaw,

I went to rackspace and this was the cheapest server configuration I could find:

500 mhz (they don't specify what cpu?)
    128MB RAM
    10GB IDE drive
    8GB IDE Travan Tape drive
    Redhat linux 6.1
    ***1 ip***

$271.80/month

I used the online system configurator and entered a similar system to mine (other than the processor which was a 500mhz, again didn't specify which type of processor, and mine being a Celeron 366) and received a quote of $619.80/month. That included only 128 ip's while I have unlimited from Dialtone. I also have a server interface with Dialtone that automates setting up accounts on the server, not to mention the fact that almost everything is already nicely configured for you at Dialtone. I barely had to make any changes to the server configuration. They also installed all security patches and updates that were available for RedHat 6.1 during setup.

I don't doubt that Rackspace is an excellent company but they are not even close to competitive when compared to Dialtone. I know you'll say that dialtone uses the "95% crap" (called the 95th percentile rule) which substantially reduces your actual bandwidth allowed, but at $3/gb I am not that worried.

Your only complaint with Dialtone is that they use the 95th percentile rule for calculating bandwidth. Here are a list of my complaints with regards to rackspace:

1)Too expensive - nearly 3 times the price
    2)No server interface
    3)You pay approximately $2/ip/month

I don't doubt that you will be very statisfied with Rackspace since I have heard a lot of good things about them, but their prices are extremely high for what you get.

Racker,

moving all your sites to a new server with very little downtime is not that difficult. You have to duplicate all accounts on the new server, including email aliases, etc... Take your time and make sure everything has been duplicated. You'll have to have both servers active during this transfer. So don't cancel your current server until the transfer is complete.

If you are setting up your own DNS on your server than again make all the entries for all of your domains with the "new" ip addresses assigned to you by your new provider. Once that is all done you make the neccessary changes as Network Solutions, such as the new ip address for your nameservers (if you already had your nameservers registered, if not then register your nameservers). The last step is to make the dns changes for all of your domains at Network Solutions. Once the DNS changes propagate (about 24 hours) then your domains will now point to your new DNS servers which will in turn point to the duplicated accounts on your new server. This way the transfer will appear transparent to your clients. I have done this twice now and experienced 0 downtime.

What happens is that you have 2 servers running exactly the same thing, and once Network Solutions (or your registrar of choice) activates the changes you made, your domains will just change which ip, and hence which server, they are resolving to.

Hope this helps. I'm not sure if I was clear, if not, please feel free to email me.

------------------
    "I AM!"

Ok... You want a comparison and the reasons who I do not like dialtone..

- Dialtone uses the 95%, Rackspace doesn't. Both companies charge the same price per extra GB, $3.00. This is no contest, Rackspace is better on bandwidth. The main thing that pissed me off with dialtone is that they do not tell you they charge this way until AFTER you signup for an account.

- Rackspace does not have any contracts. Dialtone locks you into a 6 month contract. So what happens if you situation changes or you are not happy with their service? You are stuck with them. You cannot even buy out your contract with them.

- Dialtone charges you for support, voids your 30 days of free support if you make any changes. Rackspace provides free support for most things and diagnosis the problem for free on others so you can fix it. They will install updates, will install most modules, install Qmail ect (just look over their support page). Rackspace also has 24/7 toll free phone support support.

- Rackspace also has a control panel to add sites. They also train you on how to manually add sites, users, DNS ect...

- The exact same system as Dialtone's 275.00 system costs 350.00 at Rackspace. That is with 20 GB (which will equal about 60 GB using the 95%). Yes, they charge you for IP's but for not having contracts, free tech support, and true bandwidth charging I would gladly pay that extra amount and I will when my contract is finally up with Dialtone.

I will be completely host, I do not like Dialtone or their business practices and I do not hide it. However, the above is a fair business comparison between the two. If I missed something let me know...

Scott

racker,

To have almost zero downtime you need to duplicate the sites on the new server... Not a problem, just tar up the site and ftp it over via telnet. If you go with Rackspace I am sure they will assist you with this.

But the most important thing is the DNS. I would not do what was suggested above and rely NSI to switch the nameservers. Instead, set the TTL on the domains to a low value on the old server. Once you are ready to move, point the DNS on the old server to the IP of new server (all users will now be sent to the new server even though the old server still controls the DNS) then go to NSI and update the nameservers. This will result in almost no downtime. I have done this 2 times in the past 6 months. We are responsible for over 10,000 domains and hundreds of online stores. No one even knew we moved the last time.

Scott

well i have been with rackspace for 1 1/2 months on a dedicated linux server and am very happy...

what i got was

P3 500
    128MB
    10GB EIDE
    8IPS
    50GB/Month
    for
    US$405/month free setup special in May

now the same system costs only US$379 at rackspace.com

I use webmin to admin the server and run my own dns servers.... and they installed php3/mysql free of charge and answer support tickets timely

------------------
    Australian Neon Genesis Evangelion

I know dellhost is very good from previous comments, but ther price are too high. I would love the chance to talk to you about colocating it at our facility for as low as $99.00 we too offer 24/7 live support except a actual technician answers the phone everytime. If you have a interest in a custom quote email me at charles@eazyaccess.com or call our sales office at (316) 618-6923.

------------------
    Web Works
    Charles Baker
    (316) 618-6923 Ext 101
    "Were making the web work for you"