Question Recommendation: Nginx-based Wordpress hosting

I would like to set up a small portfolio site to display my work as well as blog. Based on prior experience I'd prefer to use Nginx over Apache, and to avoid Cpanel altogether. I've looked at Linode's plans, however they start at $20/month, which is overkill for my needs. $10/month would be ideal, $15 tops. Features I'd like:
    • Nginx shared or VPS hosting (Webmin UI would be nice, but not required; I'm comfortable with CLI)
    • PHP-FPM
    • Quality SQL server (eg. MariaDB)
    • W3 Total Cache support (or other comparable caching plugin)
    • less than $15/month
    • Tech support

With a VPS you'd be free to install whatever software you like, including Webmin. I am curious, however, about the "quality" SQL server requirement. Do you consider MySQL to not be "quality"?

Centmin Mod would probably be worth looking in to since it auto-installs nginx + MariaDB + PHP-FPM + (APC | XCache) + Memcached.

Quote Originally Posted by WhichGunDotCom View Post
    With a VPS you'd be free to install whatever software you like. I am curious about the "quality" SQL server requirement. Do you consider MySQL to not be "quality"?
    Yeah, that statement didn't make much sense to me either.

Anyway, any standard VPS will suite your needs. It's just a portfolio.. It's not like you'll be getting 100k hits a day. Take a look at ApertureHost.com
    Loop Internet
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet and Colocation
    99.999% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

Go through to link: http://wiki.nginx.org/Resources#Host..._Nginx_Hosting Here you will get name of webhosts which offer Nginx Hosting. Just visit their site and check which one is matching with your requirements.

I believe VPS is what you need exactly. $15/mo is good enough to get a quality unmanaged VPS server, you can install any kind web server software as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by WhichGunDotCom View Post
    Centmin Mod would probably be worth looking in to since it auto-installs nginx + MariaDB + PHP-FPM + (APC | XCache) + Memcached.
    I would do this with a $5-10/monthly VPS.
    Just be aware that it's going to be unmanaged (self-managed) to secure.

Good hosts include VMPort, Evolucix, and quite a few others.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I also recommend centminmod because it is nicely optimized to use the least memory. The only downside with nginx is that the wordpress permalinks will not work out of the box. it is easy but you must have the inclination to mess around with the settings.

+1 centminmod - I have it installed on a few 256M VPS's one one of my low-end nodes and very happy with it.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, especially the nginx.org links. I didn't mean to suggest Oracle MySQL is inferior; I used it for a number of years under Cpanel, did a complete reinstall with Centmin and have grown to love MariaDB since then. That site has much higher traffic than what I'm anticipating this time around, but as it turns out my requirements are about the same, only on a smaller scale. Running an unmanaged VPS doesn't bother me at all, so long as the hosting provider infrastructure is reliable/stable/fast.