Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So FED UP with webhost from HELL! Need a new one!

I have been with my current web host for YEARS, and they were great - perfect, maybe! - up until about a year ago. It's been nothing but problems since, and I'm just exhausted. Too much stress while I'm trying to run a business. I'm not a computer person, I know just enough to get by on the basics.

I am NOT looking forward to searching for a new host, so was hoping for some recommendations. Here's where I'm at:

I currently have 10 domains & 15 email addresses, (mostly small personal sites, family and friends on my account) but that tends to creep up, so I wouldn't want to be restricted to just that.

I am currently using 550 MB disk space. Again, don't want to be restricted to just that.

My current plan is: 5 GB disk space, 50 GB Bandwidth

My main website (FAR more traffic than all the others combined) uses 7-18 GB transfer/month

I Need Direct Admin & Installatron (through DA).

Concerns:

- My biggest concern is my blog. I am running a WP blog, hosted with my webhost. I have NO idea how to transfer it over. I have no idea how databases work, logistically. I will definitely need help with this.!

- Current host was great for spam blocking at one time, running EAS and Spam Assassin. Now it's only Spam Assassin, and I get over 100 spam emails daily. Would LOVE a host that is better about managing that.

- Current host's shared IPs have landed on many, many spam lists, which has given me a huge headache when it comes to returning emails. I need a host with a CLEAN reputation on black lists

- Current host HAD great customer service : an IRC support channel, live chat support through their site, and responded quickly to support tickets. In the past year, I've gotten completely burnt out on unresponsiveness. I need a host that responds.

- Current host expects clients to keep an eye out on their forum in case of any upcoming outages, etc. I would definitely prefer a host that values communication, and actually emails clients a bit of a heads up if they are planning maintenence, outages, etc.

- I would love uptime better than what I've been getting lately : it seems like web and/or email goes down every other week!

- Obviously, I don't want to pay a fortune!

Any thoughts? Host recommendations? I'm so stressed out by this whole ordeal. My blog has been down for 17 hours now, as many of the host's domains were hacked yesterday. Of course, I have NO idea when they'll have it fixed, all they'll say is "we're aware of it and are working on it" in a canned response.

Thanks in advance!

Marie

Quote Originally Posted by BurntOut View Post
    - My biggest concern is my blog. I am running a WP blog, hosted with my webhost. I have NO idea how to transfer it over. I have no idea how databases work, logistically. I will definitely need help with this.!
    Databases are simple - you would just export them using something like phpMyAdmin and then re-import them on the new server. Many providers will do this for you, but you will want to ask about that before you sign up.

- Current host expects clients to keep an eye out on their forum in case of any upcoming outages, etc. I would definitely prefer a host that values communication, and actually emails clients a bit of a heads up if they are planning maintenence, outages, etc.
    One thing you could do in any situation where this is the case, is *subscribe* to that forum or section. Most providers keep a separate section in their forums for announcements and outages and getting an email that there is a new thread and it's subject would be helpful.

I wish I could recommend a provider, but I honestly don't know of any DirectAdmin providers.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Direct admin has a backup option that can be used to transfer all your sites to another host that uses the same control panel. So its very convenient and most hosts you sign up with will help you do that or do it for you.

As far as spam filtering goes you could use the free google apps for domains. It has better spam filtering than commercial hosting providers. You could ask your new hosting provider to help you set that up.

Here's the shared hosting offers section where you can find suitable providers:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

You mentioned that your current host's shared IP's have landing on many blacklists...I assume you've also tried making your IP dedicated? I would also assume that you need more than one IP under a single account?
    Award Winning Web Hosting
    AN Hosting: http://anhosting.com/
    http://anhosting.com/hosting/

Hi

is DA a must? would you not consider cpanel? cpanel often comes with apps s Softaculus or installatron where it can manage your wordpress installations and notify you when you need to update wordpress.

Also your new host may transfer your wordpress sites for you or guide you with how to do it.
    The Hosting Heroes Ltd - over 20 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com

Hi,

To be honest with you I can't recommend any hosts with DA.. most hosts I know use cPanel, which I consider to be superior. A web host would definitely be able to help you transferring your files over.

You might want to switch to cPanel as there are much more hosting providers using it. It also makes it much easier when you want switch hosts.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

What... have any of you guys tried Directadmin at all? Like actually use it instead of judging it by its simplistic theme? Directadmin destroys cPanel in terms of usability from the enduser point of view. The minimal interface loads quickly and does everything you can possibly need and more in a shared hosting environment.

I'll save you the troubles of researching new hosts, just look at medialayer. Its probably the only big Directadmin host now that hasn't changed ownership, and holds a solid track record.

To migrate, use the "Create/Restore Backups" function that will produce a backup file that you can upload it to the new host and walla done!

Tuxlite.com Complete LAMP and LNMP script for Debian and Ubuntu.

Heh.. I know exactly which host you have now.
    Not sure if I can say, but it rhymes with "Post kiwi".

I have them too. I posted here not long ago with a very similar dilemma. Be sure to let us know (and even PM if you remember!) where you end up. I'm very interested.

That IRC channel was awesome, btw. I miss that.

Whoa, lots of responses.. lemme just cover everything in one post!

One thing you could do in any situation where this is the case, is *subscribe* to that forum or section. Most providers keep a separate section in their forums for announcements and outages and getting an email that there is a new thread and it's subject would be helpful.
    That'd work if they were even good about keeping up with their forum, as far as announcement go. They usually just seem to wait for people to post that they're having problems. Seriously, the customer service is nonexistent.

You mentioned that your current host's shared IP's have landing on many blacklists...I assume you've also tried making your IP dedicated? I would also assume that you need more than one IP under a single account?
    I have NO idea how it goes. All I know is that when I looked on the forum, many other people across several of the servers are having the same problem. The host's response is usually something to the effect of "It's hard to get off black lists, so YOU can try if you want". It's felt very hands-tying.

Re all the Direct Admin vs Cpanel comments: Direct admin is all I've ever used, and it's idiot proof enough that I can handle it. I know how to use it, I'm comfortable with it.. I just don't want to relearn everything when there is something I know I like.

Fizzter: sounds like you've got it! Were you one of the sites that got hacked yesterday? It was the last straw for me.

Re all the Direct Admin vs Cpanel comments: Direct admin is all I've ever used, and it's idiot proof enough that I can handle it. I know how to use it, I'm comfortable with it.. I just don't want to relearn everything when there is something I know I like.
    Fiar enough! PowerMonster is supposed to be good ( http://powermonster.net )

You can check reviews using http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Ok, well I know that if your using a shared IP, you can switch to a dedicated IP for usually around $2 extra per month. It's worth it so that you can start on a new clean slate...unless they are handing out unlcean dedicated IP's as well.
    Award Winning Web Hosting
    AN Hosting: http://anhosting.com/
    http://anhosting.com/hosting/

Quote Originally Posted by lweeks View Post
    Ok, well I know that if your using a shared IP, you can switch to a dedicated IP for usually around $2 extra per month. It's worth it so that you can start on a new clean slate...unless they are handing out unlcean dedicated IP's as well.

They've been claiming that the new IPs were clean, but they aren't.

Seriously, I'm just done with them. I'm past the point of even being open to staying with them. Not only did they allow my sites - and OTHER people's sites to get hacked from THEIR side, they handled it horribly. I'm just sick of being stuck wondering when my site will be up.

Check signatures in the forum. Contact hosts to test their support time. Check their IP for blacklisting. Any good host will have no problem helping you move everything over.
    I'm sure your new host is closer than you think.
    Bayouspace Hosting
    Reliable, Full Featured cPanel Shared Hosting, with REAL 24/7 SUPPORT
    Established 11/2009, WHT member since 2003
    http://www.bayouspace.com

Just out of curiosity, would you mind sharing who you are currently hosting with and some of the problems you have been experiencing?
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Scientist View Post
    What... have any of you guys tried Directadmin at all? Like actually use it instead of judging it by its simplistic theme? Directadmin destroys cPanel in terms of usability from the enduser point of view. The minimal interface loads quickly and does everything you can possibly need and more in a shared hosting environment.
    I think the point was not regarding which is better, but with which is more commonly used. Since cpanel is more or less the industry standard, it makes more sense for providers to go with cpanel (the same goes for users).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

OK!

I did a LOT of reading today, and ended up going with powermonster.

Already, I am SUPER impressed with the customer service. Super quick responses, very polite, - even got a phone call - and they're going to transfer EVERYTHING over for me!

I only wish I'd known that a new host would do that. Stress over the scope of changing hosts has prevented me from doing it for the past 6 months. I would have switched LONG ago, if I'd known how little hassle it would end up being.

I'm glad you found a new spot!
    Can I ask why you went with them over some of the others you previously posted? (Especially since they seem to be more expensive!)

I posted about some of my experiences and search for a new spot here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1003988
    Not sure if you're interested in reading it.

I don't *THINK* my site was one that got hacked? Frankly, I'm not privy to those details. Were the sites defaced? Just information harvested? How can I know?

It's $5/month, not sure how much cheaper I need to go, lol!

I went with them because the reviews were good, and a lot of their site attracted me. For instance, they seem to be VERY anal retentive about keeping their ips off blacklists. After dealing with the **** from HostPC for so long.. I really need that.

Also, a lot of what their customers were saying (on sites OTHER than theirs) sounded like what they loved about powermonster were all things that I miss from my earlier days with HostPC. Responsiveness, etc.

For instance, we've gone back and forth on my ticket a few times in the past hour or so.. contrasted with submitting a ticket for hostpc... waiting.. waiting... getting a non answer a day or two later.. they close the ticket without fixing the issue.. etc.

I'm really happy already. In describing my HostPC experiences to a friend, it really felt like trying to leave an abusive husband. Wishing it was how it was, giving a lot of chances.. swearing I'll leave when it gets bad, but then forgiving and hoping it'll get better...

Well, now I feel like a handsome man with a sexy accent just whisked me outta that hell hole, and off to somewhere sunny and PEACEFUL.

Sorry, I've been very, very frustrated with HostPC for a VERY long time, and really hate feeling like my hands are tied. CANNOT believe the weight that was lifted from my chest when these guys emailled to say that they've started transferring everything over.

Hrm, I dunno.. I mean it really depends on your needs. If you checked out that thread I posted, I am paying $15 a YEAR. ($1.25 a month)

Sounds like you use your hosting for something a lot more "real" than I ever have in my casual use though.

Well, I was on a similar price with HostPC, grandfathered in from a plan from years ago.

The difference between $1.25 and $5/month is.. a COFFEE. Much cheaper than any price I'd put on my mental health (which HostPC has been messing with!!)

The different between $15 and $50 a year. That's over a 300% increase!

Yeah, $35 / year difference. That's a nice meal out.

Sorry man. I get what you're saying and all, but $5/month is nothing. I have NO idea how they can do it that cheap, aside from equipment costs, geez, 1 decent trouble ticket/month, and they're losing money on me, labor wise.

Glad to hear you found a new web host.
    I started my company because I had problems with hosts and I know what you have went threw, As to moving over your account all they will do is copy the account from the server you where on to there server witch makes it less hassle.

For backup, if you are using cpanel or something similar backups should be very easy, one to three clicks and you have everything. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast