tech support via telephone

Hello.
    I just joined a webhosting company and I've found out (too little too late) that they only offer tech support by email only.....not by telephone.
    That's kind of frustrating because I'd much prefer talking with tech support by phone. It's my fault because I should have done better research before choosing a webhosting company. I didn't know about this site at the time.
    So, could you please recommend some good hosting companies (shared hosting) that offer tech support by telephone?
    Thank you.

You could start looking into those that advertise that. However please be aware that most of them will probably want you still to submit a ticket for complex problems so they can keep a record and better keep things organized.

Just to help you get some recommendation:

1. Where do you want your host/servers to be based?
    2. Do you require anything specific or just a standard shared account?
    HostedHere.co.uk
    24x7 Support | Fully UK Based | Uncrowded Servers
    Premier UK Based Shared & VPS Hosting at Affordable Prices

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMine View Post
    You could start looking into those that advertise that. However please be aware that most of them will probably want you still to submit a ticket for complex problems so they can keep a record and better keep things organized.
    This was a pretty big surprise to us when we first started out years ago on our reseller account. The hosts we picked all offered phone support, but only for "level 1" issues. The exact definition of what constitutes "level 1" varies from host to host, but at the time it seemed to be only for the easy things like "what's my cPanel URL" and "what's my FTP server name". From the research I've done since, it seems like this is common.

OP, be sure to ask any prospective hosts to tell you exactly what is and is not covered by phone support. Also, call that phone number and make sure someone actually answers in a reasonable time. Some "phone support" just goes to a voicemail box.

Unless you pay a premium, very few people will do it. I don't offer it except in very special instances where I feel that initiating the call will make everyone's life easier.

Even for clients paying $50/month, it is not worth it to be taking a bunch of phone calls to help with something. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it is the truth. If the client keeps me on the phone for an hour or two while I fidget with an issue for them, it is a big distraction and I can't multi-task anywhere near as easily. When you factor that in for a $10/mo or less shared hosting account, your time is worth $0 essentially.

@OP - good luck finding someone to take good care of you! I wish you the best

There are tons of web hosting companies out there with telephone support. Simply search Google for web hosting companies and then call the ones that you are interested in to gauge what kind of response time you can expect.

Sometimes, it does make sense to email your questions to a company so that you have something to track.

Personally, I use email if I don't need an urgent response. I use live chat if I need urgent responses or I use the phone if I expect a lot of going back and forth and need an urgent response.
    EmailHosting.com
    http://www.emailhosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by FRH Lisa View Post
    The exact definition of what constitutes "level 1" varies from host to host, but at the time it seemed to be only for the easy things like "what's my cPanel URL" and "what's my FTP server name".
    It's even dumber when providers say that they have "live support" when all they do most of times for issues say "please submit a ticket here <URL here>".

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane1 View Post
    I'd much prefer talking with tech support by phone.
    May I ask why? As others have said, phone and live-chat support, where it's offered, tends to be very low-level. And this is for good reason: it's just not good economics to have knowledgeable (ie. expensive) techs wasting their time hanging around waiting for phone calls or chatting with clients.

For real issues (not "What's my control panel url?" ) a ticket is a far better way to get support. Both the client and the tech have time to consider and write exactly what the issue / resolution is, and everything's recorded in case further action's required.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Tech. support via telephone?

I will prefer to get tech support via Live chat or email and this will be so easy for both.
    Dewlance® Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller - US/UK/EU/FRK/CA - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    DemoTiger.com - Buy Demo Videos for your Hosting Company

There are many companies who offer Telephone support. However, in practical world scenarios, almost every provider (even big names like Godaddy, etc) have very limited scope in their phone support services. Most of them have phone support for pre-sales and others who offer technical support via phones cover level 1 support only. The fact remains that if a level II/III admin is ever available on phones, clients just won't hang up the phone until and unless the issue is fixed this not allowing time for the techs to work on the issues. We have seen many examples of such cases. And if a host offers a toll-free number, this increases the running cost for the host as well.
    || Tecsys Solutions LLC | Outperforming the Performers!! ||
    || Outsourced Server Management and Technical Support Solutions ||
    || Now Offering Secure Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers specially setup for Hosting Providers ||
    || https://www.24x7TechnicalSupport.net || https://www.mxv.net ||

Wow. I just got 10 intelligent, insightful and valuable responses. Thanks to all of you. I now understand why companies do that. Makes sense. I'll just create a ticket.

Have a nice day....and thank you again.

Many company's that offer telephone support i would recommend hostgator

Quote Originally Posted by VPS4ME View Post
    Many company's that offer telephone support i would recommend hostgator
    Someone is actually recommending Hostgator? That's something new..
    █ ♥ █ PoppenWorks, Canadian web design, development and hosting. Now with 24/7 support.

I just switched to LiquidWeb shared hosting. It's SSD and they offer phone support! It does cost $14.95/month though :-( $12.95/month if you pay in full for 1 year and you'll receive 2 months free.

Hello.
    I just joined a webhosting company and I've found out (too little too late) that they only offer tech support by email only.....not by telephone.
    That's kind of frustrating because I'd much prefer talking with tech support by phone. It's my fault because I should have done better research before choosing a webhosting company. I didn't know about this site at the time.
    So, could you please recommend some good hosting companies (shared hosting) that offer tech support by telephone?
    Thank you.
    What level of support are you expecting over the phone? If you are referring to basic support then it's fine, but for critical issues phone isn't usually the right medium to seek support. You'd need to communicate with the engineer via. chat or tickets.

You might want to check on this with the other hosts here, I'm sure they'd agree on this. What say guys ??
    WebHosting.UK.com - WHUK :: cPanel Hosting | Windows Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Cloud Hosting
    Dedicated Servers in UK by WHUK - Fully Managed UK dedicated servers with 24x7x365 Support.

I don't think a host should be Judged based on weather he provides Telephone support or not. Most of the time, Technical issues cant be communicated to the client over the phone since the client has no idea of how hosting works. And its easier to keep things organized through tickets. Though I do offer telephone support but its just to help us keep up with the competition.

I wouldn't migrate just cos my host doesn't provide a telephone support until and unless am unhappy with there hosting. If the OP is still looking for a host who provides telephone support, A simple search would give you a list of hosts but remember to call them and verify yourself before you finalize on your host.
    Crypracks.com | Premium Bare Metal Servers at Budget
    Powerful Dedicated Servers and VPS servers | Instant Setup
    Quote ? - Sales @ Crypracks.com

Support desk would be the right medium when it comes to technical support, its better for communication and keep to a proper log.

You can also referrer back to an old ticket or email if you run into to that issue again, if you did it over the phone not so much.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Usually tickets and email are a lot more efficient. They also provide the bonus of leaving a record to refer to if something comes up down the road. If someone really wants to talk over the phone and they ask via a ticket I provide them a phone number.
    critihost.com - Business-Class Professional Hosting
    Premium Shared & Reseller Hosting at Affordable Prices
    100% Uptime Guarantee | 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
    ✓ Follow: Twitter: @critihost | FB: Critihost | Get Started Today!

Hello.
    Thank you.
    GoDaddy offers, only toll (remember you pay for the call on hold as well) phone support but trust me that's there for them not you, remember you cannot legally record a call and there is never a record of what was said other then if it helps them, I was told over the phone to revoke a ssl cert, should that have been conveyed in a email ticket, I..
    A - WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN TOLD TO DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE
    B - I WOULD HAVE HAD A RECORD OF BEING TOLD THAT.

maybe some can weigh in with horror stories of their own, so be careful what you wish for...

So, no "I would not worry the slightest bit" if a host did not offer telephone support, The fact any host is willing to put support advice on record in a email, in fact it's the complete opposite they should be highly respected for that.
    regards SonnB
    removed sig, got creeped out

Quote Originally Posted by tecsys View Post
    There are many companies who offer Telephone support. However, in practical world scenarios, almost every provider (even big names like Godaddy, etc) have very limited scope in their phone support services. Most of them have phone support for pre-sales and others who offer technical support via phones cover level 1 support only. The fact remains that if a level II/III admin is ever available on phones, clients just won't hang up the phone until and unless the issue is fixed this not allowing time for the techs to work on the issues. We have seen many examples of such cases. And if a host offers a toll-free number, this increases the running cost for the host as well.
    I noticed you mentioned GoDaddy, they have a great system set up for themselves that is, for one you pay for the support call, and 2 there is no email support at all period. as far as limited scope goes, some techs know more then others that's just life at any host, I have had some great GoDaddy techs and some really bad ones, but having just the phone support method is bad for the customer, especially if its a server thing and needs to be bumped or you draw the moron card, either way you wind up holding.

I'd take a ticket only host, over a phone only one, any day.
    regards SonnB
    removed sig, got creeped out

This depends on the complexity of the issue. Most shared hosting providers would offer L1(definition would vary across providers) level support on call and would advise customers to raise tickets/email if the issue is complex. However, for enterprise level customers, who have dedicated servers, hosting providers may offer dedicated phone lines for support

However, in practical world scenarios, almost every provider (even big names like Godaddy, etc) have very limited scope in their phone support services. Most of them have phone support for pre-sales and others who offer technical support via phones cover level 1 support only.

I had to chat with a clients host last week.....I lost some of my hair at the end of it. Very very painful. Only because I needed a quick answer why I even bothered.......quick as in 20 minutes of questioning to get an answer. It was below Level 1 standards....but for some companies, their L1 has the skills of L2 and will resolve an issue quickly. Ah the perfect world.

phone support only best for customer to knowing whats happend with the server, is it down or not
    beside from that you wont be much like phone support because its for your own account security, many people was trying to pretend as he is the owner of account and request for pasword , terminaton ...ect

so my conclusion would be find provider with good handling ticket support with average respon time at least 15 minute guarante no cans answer, for the live chat is for urgent issue
    for the phone is optional just make sure phone are not just voice mail

from my history dealing with webhosting provider in 6 years i never call their phone support, my asumption if they answering ticket respon fast, helpfull and honest then this will be a good provider for me.
    I Love Web Hosting Industry

A *good* host will offer phone support, staffed with high level employees that can solve issues over the phone, and be trained enough to log important details in a CRM system for future reference by other employees or via email, etc...

But don't expect to pay a few dollars per month for this. Think $20-$100 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    May I ask why? As others have said, phone and live-chat support, where it's offered, tends to be very low-level. And this is for good reason: it's just not good economics to have knowledgeable (ie. expensive) techs wasting their time hanging around waiting for phone calls or chatting with clients.

For real issues (not "What's my control panel url?" ) a ticket is a far better way to get support. Both the client and the tech have time to consider and write exactly what the issue / resolution is, and everything's recorded in case further action's required.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    Unless you pay a premium, very few people will do it. I don't offer it except in very special instances where I feel that initiating the call will make everyone's life easier.

Even for clients paying $50/month, it is not worth it to be taking a bunch of phone calls to help with something. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it is the truth. If the client keeps me on the phone for an hour or two while I fidget with an issue for them, it is a big distraction and I can't multi-task anywhere near as easily. When you factor that in for a $10/mo or less shared hosting account, your time is worth $0 essentially.

@OP - good luck finding someone to take good care of you! I wish you the best
    That pretty much sums it up