theplanet (ev1domain) domains price increase?

I just notice the price of domain renewal increased to $8.95 instead of $6.49 when I went to renew a domain today. That's a big jump in price for a .com domain, was it just me or this is normal/old news?

Wow. Yes, Resellone (theplanet)increased their prices.
    http://resellone.net/prices.aspx

You shouldn't really bother too much about this change, as they would be making a loss of ~0.50 USD, if they sold at $6.49.

They (Resellone/EV1) have been selling domains at loss for way too long. It's time to get real (closer to the market).
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

If you register with ICANN you pay 80 cents for a domain, am I correct? How can selling a domain for $6.49 be a loss. If a big company is selling through someone elses reseller, sounds like stupidity rather than loss.

Quote Originally Posted by coreymanshack View Post
    If you register with ICANN you pay 80 cents for a domain, am I correct?
    No, you're NOT correct.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by nameslave View Post
    No, you're NOT correct.
    Ok then how much do you pay? I figured it would be a very low price since they require you pay thousands of dollars for an "application" and then have proof of having 10s of thousands of dollars saved somewhere.

ICANN fee is just small...the real fee is what Registrar's pay the registries, such as Verisign for .COM and .NET, AFILIAS for .INFO, etc...

Right now I believe the .COM price is $6.86 and ICANN fees are $0.18, so thats $7+ right there. So any pricing above $7.50 and below $10 is reasonable for registrars to charge.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

I think their (ResellOne) prices are still very competitiv, but I do think they've done a poor job communication the price rais to their existing resellers. The only place where this was announced was their almost userless spam flooded forum. The OpenHRS Plattform they are using has a newsletter feature for communicationg such things.

Resellers just logging in to http://resellers.resellone.net/ and not checking their balance regulary, meight not even have noticed it up to today.

Also quite strange, on their login screen they announce a totally different price rais: https://resellers.resellone.net/rese...ller_login_msg

I'd really like to see more effort brought up from ThePlanet towards their reseller brand. There are tons ouf deadlinks and outdated manuals on their homepage. Features like Subresellers that are supported by the OpenHRS plattform are still not available.

I'm totally convinced that a domain is a commodity item and that price is the most important factor when dealing with resllers, but in order to grow, you can't expect resellers which are used to feature rich offers, to downgrad their customers to your rather bare-metall offering.

Looking forward to a statement of ThePlanet/ResellOne here.

Quote Originally Posted by HNLV View Post
    ICANN fee is just small...the real fee is what Registrar's pay the registries, such as Verisign for .COM and .NET, AFILIAS for .INFO, etc...

Right now I believe the .COM price is $6.86 and ICANN fees are $0.18, so thats $7+ right there. So any pricing above $7.50 and below $10 is reasonable for registrars to charge.
    wow and this whole time I thought you had to go through icann!

Indeed... the price increase is fair but it really does need to be communicated to resellers better. It certainly is not fair for them to be selling domains at a loss, however if clients are not informed properly then all of a sudden THEY will be selling domains at a loss.
    █ CanSpace Solutions - www.canspace.ca - Canada's leading domain registrar and web hosting provider
    Premium Canadian Web Hosting and .ca domains. Trusted by Canada's largest corporations
    Affordable Web Hosting | 24/7 Support | CIRA CERTIFIED | Proudly Canadian