Exclamation How to setup Game Server Hosting

Hello guys,
    I am willing to start my own game and website hosting business. I wanted to know what would be the system requirements for gaming servers and for web hosting purpose.

And please guide me to setup counter strike 1.6 game server on the hosting

What should be the net plan?

And I am going to provide servers for others so I want some free game panel through which my clients can modify their server as per their requirements.

Which OS will be best for game hosting ?

Please clarify my doubts
    Thank U in Advance

You may need a control panel to easily administer and run the game..

If you want to do it all over SSH, then see :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkJCDHfEuOA

Hi,

It's a very rough market to get into. If you already don't know how to do any of these things yourself, then I would highly suggestion you learn before you make an attempt to start your own gaming services provider. Trust me, it will be a lot easier for you. I just don't like seeing tons of people spend thousands of dollars into the gaming business and end up becoming another fly-by-night host. TCAdmin will make a lot of things easier for you, but you'll still need some prior knowledge before being able to configure and sell game servers with the expected quality by your customers in order to achieve any amount of sales goals. Let me know if I can be of any help to you, I'll try to help in anyway possible.
    Patrick Nett | E-mail: Patrick.Nett[at]Gmail.com

As PatrickN said above, You'll need some high end hardware and a good budget to start off into Game Server's, You'll also need loads of bandwidth as game server's eat bandwidth. Also, You will have to know how to optimize the server on which you run the Game Server really well to get good performance when 3 - 4 large game server's run at the same time.

Hi PatrickN and GearServe

first of all Thank you guys for replying

I have knowledge about these gaming stuff I also have the server hosted on my PC on Windows OS.
    I was thinking to make it as a business I only wanted to know like which server configuration will be good and what net speed should I have to take for hosting purpose.

I only don't know how to configure the panel thing that's why I Posted in this forum

Budget is not of any problem I don't want to go for re seller I want to start my own hosting that's y.

I can get 16 Mbps net connection with static ip's & server configuration I wanted to know so that it can handle many gaming servers simultaneously.

I agree with Patrick.

Patrick and I both, along with many on this forum have been in the industry before.. (I'm actually getting back into it with my boss Marcus).

I really recommend you research more about the industry, how to do the thinngs you don't know how to do. Get involved with some discussions. I can highly recommend some GSP forums where GSP Staff and owners talk, which include GSPRating.com/forum and GSPTalk.com

The industry is slowly going, and unless you do have sufficient funds to be in the negatives for the first atleast 5 months I recommend not doing it. It's true when people say the industry is slowly dying. It really is.. Especially with these companies doing exclusive deals with GSP's.

Just research your stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by TuckerPDS View Post
    I agree with Patrick.

Patrick and I both, along with many on this forum have been in the industry before.. (I'm actually getting back into it with my boss Marcus).

I really recommend you research more about the industry, how to do the thinngs you don't know how to do. Get involved with some discussions. I can highly recommend some GSP forums where GSP Staff and owners talk, which include GSPRating.com/forum and GSPTalk.com

The industry is slowly going, and unless you do have sufficient funds to be in the negatives for the first atleast 5 months I recommend not doing it. It's true when people say the industry is slowly dying. It really is.. Especially with these companies doing exclusive deals with GSP's.

Just research your stuff!
    5 months? I'd say 2+ years. The industry isn't dying because of the GSP's doing exclusive deals anymore. That was for competitive servers, and what's killing that market is ESEA. Don't even try to start with public servers with GameServers.com is your competition...you're going to need a fat budget to compete with them. Any other business in my opinion would be easier than to compete against them for game servers lol.
    Patrick Nett | E-mail: Patrick.Nett[at]Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by web29jan View Post
    Hi PatrickN and GearServe

first of all Thank you guys for replying

I have knowledge about these gaming stuff I also have the server hosted on my PC on Windows OS.
    I was thinking to make it as a business I only wanted to know like which server configuration will be good and what net speed should I have to take for hosting purpose.

I only don't know how to configure the panel thing that's why I Posted in this forum

Budget is not of any problem I don't want to go for re seller I want to start my own hosting that's y.

I can get 16 Mbps net connection with static ip's & server configuration I wanted to know so that it can handle many gaming servers simultaneously.
    Nope. I personally run a few gameservers (Source engine based). The box I run it on uses 10mbit/s constantly, and peaks at 350mbit/s. This is for just three gameservers; which won't be profitable for you.

It also sounds like you're thinking of home-hosting.. please don't. I squirm inside when I think people actually pay for services like that.

If you want my personal opinion, I'd aim for a specific game on the market. Many people who try and start GSP's, dive straight into the deep end and go for Steam games to try and host. I'd say, your best bet would be finding a mod that's on the rise, maybe one that interests you, and offering a kind of host for them.

what game do you want use ?
    you need server with powerful cpu + less ping(for lag)

Sure, If your serious about this then I recommend you get a server in the E3 series or a hex core server.

Ideally, You would need E3-1230+, 1 SSD Drive booting the OS, 4 x 7.2K SATA Drives running in RAID 10, 1Gbit line.

For this setup your looking at $280+ in a good datacenter that has low latency.

Figure out your business plan and then decide howmany large / small gameservers can run on this and what limits your bandwidth will be at. The calculations need to come first in the queue before you start splashing out any cash because if you have no strategy then competing with the big guys in the gameserver industry will be no walk in the park.
    AboveClouds - UK Based Company
    Self Managed Scalable, On-demand Cloud Hosting with a personal touch ❤

Ideally, You would need E3-1230+, 1 SSD Drive booting the OS, 4 x 7.2K SATA Drives running in RAID 10, 1Gbit line.
    those specs starting out in the idustory is a major overkill.

you dont NEED SSD and you dont need 1Gbit feed to your server to run some decent game servers.

How much traffic you use will depend how busy the game servers are or how popular the game is...If its a new release any server you host with that game 9/10 will take some hammering with traffic. If its a game like counter strike source, thats been out for a while unless its clan based thats your client then its going to take a while to fill and keep full.

Its abit like web hosting, try not to focus having all your nuts in one basket otherwise your just run into resource issues. (which is where the big budgets come into play).

based on that statement alone, I would say your not ready.

I'm not going to get into the in's and out's of why home - hosting is not good thats been discussed more times then I care to think about on WHT and other forums alike.

However when you do start-up, I wish you well and if theres anything I can do to help aswell I will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Goodluck.

i agree with Flumps