2 Qs: SSI, PERL and hosting

I design and program Web site but I leave hosting to the pros. It occurs to me to ask whether SSI has a detrimental affect on the serving of pages. I am creating a site now, for instance that has 6 SSIs on each page (including a .css), totalling about 4k. The base .shtml files are 3-8k, and the SSI does not add to the total data delivered--one way or another the same code would be on each page. This lets me make the pages modular in a way that facilitates future updates of the kind this client expects. But will it hurt the performance of the site? (I realize SSI makes work for the server even if it doesn't really change the amount of data being sent.) If so, how much SSI do you think is "too much?"

Second, one of my clients' hosts has told me not to use PERL because if they activate PERL on the server (NT) it will slow way down. I am guessing you can use PERL fine on an NT server and they simply don't know how, but I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. If they are right, I will look into porting my work--what do you recommend for that? (I should note that they are not saying the activity of my PERL app will slow things down--it won't run often anyway--they are saying that the presence of PERL itself will slow down the server, including other clients hosted on the same box.)

Thanks!

[Edited by nagromme on 10-12-2000 at 12:48 PM]

In regard to SSI:

If you're just including static pages, I haven't ever seen a noticeably detrimental effect in performance. If you're including CGIs, then that will of course impact performance more. SSIs are a great tool for modularizing common components and making site maintenance easier.

On Perl:

I administer UNIX servers, so I can't speak with confidence about NT. But I can't imagine how the mere presence of Perl in the server configuration could slow it down, unless something was horribly misconfigured. Perl will only incur a load on the server when a Perl script is run, and that's true of *any* CGI or other script. I wouldn't believe it, personally.

Travis is right,

The presence of Perl on the server won't make a difference at all because the perl interpreter in only called when a perl script is executed. What he probably meant (or not) was that perl is cpu intensive and many perl scripts running concurrently will eat up a lot of cpu resources.

To say that the mere presence of perl will slow the server down is, how to say nicely, crazy! hehe

It's crazy unless NT people only install it as mod_perl (???) but I don't think they can. Most likely they don't know what they are talking about. It is true, though, that Perl isn't nice for the CPU and RAM. alternatives like PHP are, in my opinion, much better.
    Félix C.Courtemanche · webmaster@can-host.com
    Can-Host Networks · http://www.can-host.com
    web«cp Control Panel · http://webcp.can-host.com