Thread: Hello Y'all!

Hello Y'all!

Hello Y'all! I need a host for my site that will attract visitors from mainly Alabama and was wondering if it matters were the server is located? I have seen a few good plans from Chicago-- is that OK or should I look for something closer to home?

These days, speeds are quite negligible in that respect. A server from the USA will do nicely.
    IT Support - Business Hosting & VOIP Solutions Scotland

I agree with Prontohost. It's not so much about geographical location more as it is about network topological properties.

There are quite a lot of good providers operating in Chicago

peez,

It's the internet, you can connect to Europe with very little noticeable latency You'll be more than fine getting a package anywhere in North America, Chicago is definitely a central fit though

Anywhere in the US would be great for speeds to good 'ol Alabamie
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Yeah you'll be fine with anyone in the US, and if it's closer to you it will be faster, but the naked eye won't be able to tell much of a difference. Like Henrik said, there are many good providers in Chicago, and Chicago has a lot of good internet and bandwidth lines too.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

also agree that server in the us will work preety good for your goal!
    http://www.eskhosting.com - reliable web hosting services with no overselling. E-commerce hosting solutions. Domains registration with Whois privacy

lol why not be hosting in poland there will only be a slight difference as long as the polish dc has a good network infastructure your fine lol you could be hosted anywhere in the world as long as that dc has a good network infastructure you wouldnt know the difference

Any US host that has good speeds should do fine with you.
    I'd suggest hostican because of their fast speeds, fast support, and 99.9% uptime (I've tested)
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator

Anywhere in the US will be fine. If you still want something closer, you could look for hosts in Atlanta or Texas.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    Anywhere in the US will be fine. If you still want something closer, you could look for hosts in Atlanta or Texas.
    Agreed. I would search for web hosts which have servers located in Atlanta, GA or Dallas, TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Rentaservltd View Post
    lol why not be hosting in poland there will only be a slight difference as long as the polish dc has a good network infastructure your fine lol you could be hosted anywhere in the world as long as that dc has a good network infastructure you wouldnt know the difference
    Ehm... POLAND?!!!

For webhosting it does not matter much (anything that pings below 200 ms should be fine.. I get 110-150 transatlantic)
    Chicago is definitely a good fit for you.

I agree with you there, Bvs[NL]. As long as the ping is around 150 ms and lower, the site should load just fine for the average user. I can see that some ajax-applications can be experienced as sluggish, though I'd say it is more of a rule that 150 ms ping reply should be a good performance marker.