Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    Do you have a define goal apart of learning?
    Here is some it...

"Berners-Lee's vision of the future Web is similar to the concept of Web 3.0. It's called the Semantic Web. Right now, the Web's structure is geared for humans. It's easy for us to visit a Web page and understand what it's all about. Computers can't do that. A search engine might be able to scan for keywords, but it can't understand how those keywords are used in the context of the page.

With the Semantic Web, computers will scan and interpret information on Web pages using 'software agents'. These software agents will be programs that crawl through the Web, searching for relevant information. They'll be able to do that because the Semantic Web will have collections of information called ontology's. In terms of the Internet, an ontology is a file that defines the relationships among a group of terms.

For the Semantic Web to be effective, ontology's have to be detailed and comprehensive. In Berners-Lee's concept, they would exist in the form of metadata. Metadata is information included in the code for Web pages that is invisible to humans, but readable by computers.

Constructing ontology's takes a lot of work. In fact, that's one of the big obstacles the Semantic Web faces. Will people be willing to put in the effort required to make comprehensive ontology's for their Web sites? Will they maintain them as the Web sites change? Critics suggest that the task of creating and maintaining such complex files is too much work for most people."

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/web-304.htm

This quote can then be segued into another Web 3.0 vision where you segment off or create specialized on-line worlds on a whole picture theme with user usage or experience via comprehensive ontology. Admitting that it is always a 'work in motion' and never complete. Despite the inherent risk of over complexity I see a simple application that by its own nature lends itself to maturation.

In my case it is a 100% on-line university. I like the word 'ontology' as it means the 'study of existence' or 'theory of existence' as a general branch of metaphysics.

And my university covers English/American Metaphysics 1890-1930 as it the subject was often covered, imported and applied in that time period. I see its application as near timeless.

In the beginning of this time period major universities still sported chairs of 'metaphysics' before it morphed into other branches sometimes derided as 'occult'. Such as psychology, physics, projective geometry, even chemistry and homeopathic medicine, etc. etc. The first tables of elements were assembled by 'intuitives' or 'psychics' and the first papers on 'atom weapons' were by mystics studying very old documents newly translated from India.

Several elements 'including uranium' were first discovered by mystic scientists or metaphysicians with no formal education at that time and they called them by 'other names' and new near exactly how they were constructed and how they might be 'misused'.

There is much more, it was a very open and speculative time period, before the onset of codification, legally mandated utilities, more ridged halls of learning. Even though most of this comes round again and again under new labels, it is often sourced from or easily found in many an old book now a century old.

I have another idea I feel most compelling, however I do not wish to announce it here.

So to this end I am setting up a few network labs and as feasibility is found proven out, I hold open the idea of building a 'clean room data center' in my shop from scratch.
    ABSF
    Arrogant Bastard Server Farm
    Built from scratch Data Center serving
    100 year-old Metaphysical Library

Hi all,

Been over a month since last update/post.

I have a long discourse on capacity planning for ones electrical grid, however it remains a single piece of the puzzle so I only mention it briefly as a continuing project that consumes both time, effort, and more monies. Though now sports a long and many stepped plan that integrates or accomodates the medium and long term Data Center usage.

Added in a generation of better servers; ok, well since I started at near the bottom of the heap, that was not so difficult of accomplishment.

And more, I beefed up my tech library another 20 plus books so to better understand what and how of building the Data Center Core. I put off adding in more pipes till I better understood the whys and wherefores of each network lab.

And lastly well, I am going 100% open-source with no licensing whatsoever. I will write out specifications in psuedo-code and what I cannot handle in code translation or modification, I will job out.

Kind Regards,
    ABSF

Wow I just notice this post and after reading.... I have to say what the heck is wrong with this person as you have no clue about safety or designing?

I been in the life safety industry all my life ( Certified Fire Inspector ) and seen some crazy things before, but this has to rank up there as one of the unsafe layouts and non-approved commercial sites I have ever seen.

Man would I love to do an inspection on your facility. I have that shutdown so fast it would be funny…

Also just because you site is commercial rated, does not mean it’s approved for that type of commercial use.

First things you need to do are the following:
    1. Get town approval for DC use.
    2. Get engineered drawings.
    3. Pull Permits.
    4. Have Licensed Professionals do the work.
    5. Have it inspected by approved inspector.

Here are some books you may want to look up to see all your violations.

IBC Book - Building Codes
    National Electrical Code 2008 - Covers Electrical
    NFPA70 & NFPA 70E – More Electrical codes
    NFPA101 – Life Safety Code
    NFPA110 - Generators
    NFPA10 - Fire Extinguishers
    NFPA13 – Sprinkler Systems

Robert Merrihue - President/CEO
    http://www.bethehost.com
    Where resellers become a host on servers we own and operate.
    Web Hosting Since 2000 *** 12+ Years in the hosting industry

Please read the whole thread ...
    1. Mmmmm food...

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Wow I just notice this post and after reading.... I have to say what the heck is wrong with this person as you have no clue about safety or designing?

I been in the life safety industry all my life ( Certified Fire Inspector ) and seen some crazy things before, but this has to rank up there as one of the unsafe layouts and non-approved commercial sites I have ever seen.

Man would I love to do an inspection on your facility. I have that shutdown so fast it would be funny…

Also just because you site is commercial rated, does not mean it’s approved for that type of commercial use.

First things you need to do are the following:
    1. Get town approval for DC use.
    2. Get engineered drawings.
    3. Pull Permits.
    4. Have Licensed Professionals do the work.
    5. Have it inspected by approved inspector.

Here are some books you may want to look up to see all your violations.

IBC Book - Building Codes
    National Electrical Code 2008 - Covers Electrical
    NFPA70 & NFPA 70E – More Electrical codes
    NFPA101 – Life Safety Code
    NFPA110 - Generators
    NFPA10 - Fire Extinguishers
    NFPA13 – Sprinkler Systems

No doubt you might try but... (I also have good attorneys)

Unincorporated county, no employees or business organization at this time. Owner-occupied, zoned light business use (inside buildings). It is a computer lab engaged in 'proof of concept' scenarios, hence no further organization is needed at this time.

Permits required for new or increased service drops. Owner occupied electrical wiring still requires knowledge and prudence and I have plenty of drawings. I am associated with electrical contractors, the local fire department etc. I could pile in the eye-balls wall to wall when necessary and have already paraded in plenty.

That said due paranoia is always a good place to start when working on an electrical grid. We used to own a contracting company that did plumbing, electrical and gas. This is not a 'blind' adventure just a little back footed with heaps of servers (not running) piled all about.

Subjects covered, whole grid bonding to ground, surge protection on the main panel, additional down-stream grounding, line conditioning from the primary service panel, auto fail-safe at the panel. A larger more fully sealed electrical service panel area. Only direct lines to servers. Upgrade rest of building for safety sake though not directly associated with server room use.
    Referenced Books in use. I have read all these.

'Principles of Electricity' by AT&T
    'UGLY'S Electrical References' by George V. Hart, revised 2008 edition
    'Wiring Simplified', 42nd Edition based upon the 2008 NEC
    'Stanley Complete Wiring' expanded edition, 2008
    'Black & Decker Advanced Home Wiring', an older edition, 1992
    'Electrical Wiring Residential' 16th Edition based on the 2008 NEC by Ray C. Mullin (I really like this one)

coming 'Soares Book on Grounding and Bonding, NEC-2008

I also read through an industrial wiring manual in gaseous and other dangerous environments as I use gas appliances but have all lines checked and use areas separated out. This book covered very dangerous situations myopically, my use scenario does NOT qualify.

Don't you JUST LOVE A LITTLE PARANOIA?!?

When it comes down to it, there is only so much going on, be thorough and pay attention.

And I still have adequate wiring for 20 appliances as is now and capacity planning will take me to 200 appliances once the clean room is fully up in the shop building.
    Last edited by Mavus; 02-01-2010 at 03:37 PM.
    ABSF

This thread of mine here kind of reminds me of an old Country & Western dirge...

"...looking for fellowship in all the wrong places" er, a bit amended for my culture.

What continues to be so nice about this fine fellowship in the great wild WWW is contrast.

Again thanks to the last poster concerning 'fire safety and electrical use codes'. I upgraded my vision to acquiring... ...drum role please!

" National Electrical Code 2008 Handbook (National Fire Protection Association//National Electrical Code Handbook) (Hardcover)" by NFPA

Now to some of those following this thread with keen interest in 'building one's own Data Center' at home or in a shop, I will continue to update:

Data Center = Electricity

Electricity = Electrical grid

Electrical grid = Whole building grounding, bonding, surge protection, line conditioning and clean circuit use and management. Also watch isolated circuits that have small battery back-up or UPS posted on them and are not also double or triple grounded by bonding and there is a keen danger of a lightning strike.

I hate to degrade to 'preaching' but I seem to draw it to me as well.

I do not believe an inspector or a consultant takes you 'off the hook' so to speak in understanding what is going on in your own home or shop. Experts are nice, but they are not sleeping in your house.

---------------------

I am actually ready to move on to another subject but do regard electrical usage as fascinating and always ready to pay keen attention to it.

That said let move on to 'reading', well just because, no special reason except these:

In regard to reading which includes but is not limited to 'research skills generally', 'assimilation of new ideas', 'logical organization of same' and the ability to 'discern amongst a plentitude of courses of action'; excellent reading skills are sacred to culture and civilization and perhaps all goodly progress worthy of note or mention most especially building a Data Center from scratch.

Such a nice segue, do you not think? <smiles>

Kind Regards,
    ABSF

They do, in fact. I have my day job at a power utility, and while I don't have anything to do with the electrical side, the inspectors are in fact allowed (and required) to disconnect a site if they find anything objectionable. And it happens, from time to time, whenever anyone has done anything to their site wiring without the required certifications.

Btw, these are the same people who come to inspect a fire site if there is any suspicion of an electrically caused fire. And there usually is.

Quote Originally Posted by aeris View Post
    They do, in fact. I have my day job at a power utility, and while I don't have anything to do with the electrical side, the inspectors are in fact allowed (and required) to disconnect a site if they find anything objectionable. And it happens, from time to time, whenever anyone has done anything to their site wiring without the required certifications.

Btw, these are the same people who come to inspect a fire site if there is any suspicion of an electrically caused fire. And there usually is.
    "within ten working days to make repairs or reasonable time as may be requested or granted" that is if "wiring is found in such a condition as to be dangerous to life or property".

New or upgraded service requires permits, already stated. Inspections are part of the permit. Further inspections by the District are at their discretion.

We all live in a fish bowl.

I am moving on to building a Data Center Core.
    ABSF

Very fun thread. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

I wish to ask you Marvus/Yukala something that would be off-topic in this thread, but I haven't got the posting privileges necessary to send a PM. Can you PM me your e-mail or send a message to strommen-nygaard (at) hotmail.com? (replacing (at) with @)

It would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Killerrabbit; 03-20-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Hi all now and later...

This is an update and sign-off. Oh and 'Killerrabbit' your email did not work for me.

All is a good go and I am going to take down the old home network soon and replace it this quarter with the Data Center networks while working through the 'go live to do list'. It is also the end of a long cycle of gathering gear and verifying plans with engineers of one sort and another.

Being here has been for me both negative and positive, but no matter I am moving on and into development so time here is up.

Anyone else want to talk about building your own Data Center in your basement, garage, mother-in-law apartment or that back bedroom, PM me.

Actually, I will just recommend you read a lot of books and research on-line. If you are uncomfortable or find yourself too challenged to wade through a few dozen tech books then most likely this kind of endeavor is probably not a good idea for you.

Kind Regards,

Mavus
    ABSF

Foolishly I posted an error in the e-mail address, the correct is: strommen-nygaard2 (at) hotmail.com

It's about AI for a new game... I hope you have time to talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerrabbit View Post
    Foolishly I posted an error in the e-mail address, the correct is: strommen-nygaard2 (at) hotmail.com

It's about AI for a new game... I hope you have time to talk about it.

Hi, no problem sent you another email.

And that is what I am into, Game Engine AI's. You must know me by other postings elsewhere?

Kind Regards,
    ABSF

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234