Hybrid View

Question Managed Hosting @ RackShack ?

Would you guys/gals use Rackshack if they were to offer managed servers ? Why yes or why not ?

Anybody have an idea how much more RS would charge per server if it were managed ?

Just my opinion, but companies should stick to core business. If you're going to be the McDonalds of dedicated server's, don't try to sell Filet-Mignon (?Spelling?).

Just my 0.02

Originally posted by AKavanaugh
    Just my opinion, but companies should stick to core business. If you're going to be the McDonalds of dedicated server's, don't try to sell Filet-Mignon (?Spelling?).
    That's usually true. However, if the company is big enough it doesn't apply. Look at Microsoft. They're big enough to force their way into any market they want. It will be interesting to see how this works out for Rackshack.

well didnt HS mentioned something about some sort of additional support, or something like that? ( last announcment )

RackShack will be providing Managed hosting near the end of this summer, that was a part of the big announcement earlier if I'm not mistaken.
    Dathorn, Inc. - Premium cPanel/WHM Hosting since 2002! Check Out Our Blog!
    Experience the Dathorn Difference! - andrew@dathorn.com
    LiteSpeed | Clustered DNS | CloudLinux | CageFS | KernelCare | Imunify360
    Pure SSD Storage | Off-Server & Off-site Backups | Softaculous | SpamExperts

The announcement was Ensim/CPanel related. The managed service they are still considering how to approach it.

Actually, he (headsurfer) also talked about offering managed servers. He said they would offer a product of comparable quality to rackspace, but at a much lower price.

Good luck, thats all I can say.

Servers like Rackspace's with more affordable prices, that would be awsome.. they should really make an effort to do that, if they have so many clients already, I can't imagine how many more they can get by offering managed servers.......
    And we need that kind of host..
    • I'm looking for programmers •
    • I'm looking for reseller hosts ••
    • I'm looking for Partners •••

with that many tech support they have, managed solution wouldn't be a problem. If they do offer managed solution and it turn out good, it will put great pressure on other provider such as nocster, DN etc..
    ◊ James | sales@vnpixel.com |
    ◊ aim: vnpixel • msn: support@vnpixel.com • yahoo: vn_pixel
    ◊ http://www.vnpixel.com

I would think rack shack would need to hire more techs experienced customer support reps in order to offer true managed support on the level of rack space or a few other providers.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

If Rackshack offered managed servers, I would use them. Simple as that.

Originally posted by JP.
    If Rackshack offered managed servers, I would use them. Simple as that.
    I would buy a machine or there two if it had some decent 'semi-management' (port monitoring, kernel upgrades)

I've heard enough about their great network, and considering WHT is hosted there, I can say I never really see it (WHT) down. I have before, but not for more than a few seconds (excluding the lag/down from MS SQL worm..)
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.

Originally posted by DarktidesNET
    I would buy a machine or there two if it had some decent 'semi-management' (port monitoring, kernel upgrades)
    Honestly I don't even know what level of support they're offering now -- I've just heard horror stories of being told that reformatting is the only option. If I don't have physical access to a server, I'd at least like to have remote hands that can take a look at it and fix it up without huge hourly fees.

I've heard enough about their great network, and considering WHT is hosted there, I can say I never really see it (WHT) down. I have before, but not for more than a few seconds (excluding the lag/down from MS SQL worm..)

Yup, that's why I'd sign up for managed (or semi-managed) hosting with them in a heartbeat.

If rackshack offered managed servers, I'd definitely put them on the list of considerations... I'm already planning on getting a managed server in the fall for an ecommerce site that is currently on a rackshack server. I don't need lots of hand holding, but if something breaks and I can't fix it myself, I wouldn't want to hear a restore is the only option.