Thread: The mods are...

The mods are...

Jerks.

Well, not all of them, but most of them from what I have seen. Am I the only one that gets annoyed with the edit message they put it? I'm not sure if they think they are being funny, but it isn't to me.

On most boards, being a mod meens that you should be setting an example that the users should follow. Should we all post like immature pricks now?
    E-Mail: awoodward@wdeservices.com
    Aim: WoodDraw87

Are you talking about: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=23482

It should have said who did it... Don't know what you put there, but if it was against the rules it was against the rules. Some of them do have a twist to their "humour" however. You can't expect people to keep moderating and stay sane ;D (j/k). Some of them just edit in different ways. That happened to be a rather not so nice way to do it though.
    Justin K.
    "Error: Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue."

Nope Justin. That was me editing my post... I forgot to read the last line of his post, so what I had said made no sence. I should ahve made it more clear that I was the one that edited it.

I'm just talking about what they say in general.

If someone si not following the rules you would think they would edit/delete the post in a mature way and pm the guy about what he did wrong. If they do it again they would ban them. Instead, They make a complete fool of themself and whoevers post they edited.

Oh. lol... ok, me speculating since I thought it was a post of yours they edited in general. my bad.

Well, they've gotten a little more entertaining about how they do that now. I actually (going to regret this... going to regret this...) enjoy reading what they say sometimes after editing. It's the way they do things and if there's a majore problem with it I'm sure Matt would start nudging at them a bit (if he has time) to be a little less interactive with editing.
    Justin K.
    "Error: Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue."

I don't like pointing the finger at anyone, but the most active mod that I see around here is Chicken ( 6181 posts ) and he's usually the one who edits posts. I'm annoyed by that also, but I'm really annoyed when a mod closes a thread for a stupid reason. Ok, I'm done talking, I don't was to get "suspended" or anything, just voicing my opinion.

I appreciate the way this forum is moderated.

What I dislike is posters who fail to read the rules
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I think the mods are doing a good job. They have to edit so many posts that humor helps them a bit. And some of the posts are really break the rules, it's almost hysterical how much they break the rules. Loosen up, they got lives and they also help mod here and may need a little humor, plus it's a little more interesting/humor what Chicken does!

Thank you mods!
    Colin

If everyone read the rules:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/misc.p...on=forum-rules

There will be less edits to go around. I find it amusing when people break the rules and then say "Oh! I didn't know about the rules." But hmmm...doesn't everyone have to agree to the rules before signing up?

Are the rules that HARD to follow?

Whatever...

What I think a mod should act like and what you guys think is different. I don't get how being a complete jerk to the guy can be considered funny.

Would you mind posting an example where a mod was a jerk to someone?

The mods sometimes use a bit of humour, but I think its funny - and some of the posts are blantantly breaking the rules, and I find it quite amusing to read Chicken's humourous remarks in such cases...

Keep up the good work, mods.

Matt

Originally posted by Woody
    Whatever...

What I think a mod should act like and what you guys think is different. I don't get how being a complete jerk to the guy can be considered funny.
    Can you be a little more specific? Maybe post an example even?
    I have not seen actions like you elude to.

I'll look for the posts here in a few.

The one I can remember off the top of my head is where Chicken edited a guys post in a Control Panel thread for posting understand different names and spamming his product. Before anyone jumps on me for this, yes, anyone that breaks the rules should be wanred/edited/banned, but why do you guys feel the need to act like idiots in the posts. It is annoying, to me anyway.

Any mod that acted liek this on other boards would be gone, but not here.

Originally posted by Woody
    . . . . . The one I can remember off the top of my head is where Chicken edited a guys post in a Control Panel thread for posting understand different names and spamming his product. . . . .
    Okay . . . . I think I know what you're referring to now.
    But, I would have to highly disagree with you.
    If I were a mod here, I would ban much more than they do.
    It doesn't take a lot to read the rules here; and once read, abide by them.
    Generally that's all it takes. But, as in your example, if someone decides to use different usernames to promote their products in the non-advertising forums; I don't know what you would rather a mod do.
    Be like me and ban that person?
    I think the mods try to do everything possible before banning a user from this forum.

I know the post you are referring too as well - I thought it was funny. Imagine how frustrating it is when people continuosly break the rules - humour such as that can release some of the frustration.

Well I admit, I got a little snippy on that one (by the way, issue resolved). I tend to have a shorter temper with people who just flat out attempt to deceive members and who then lie about it.

It is one thing to be new, not read the rules, and post advertising where it shouldn't be. It is another thing to pretend to be someone else, speak in the third person about yourself or company, and then deny doing it, fully knowing that you are violating the guidelines. As I said, I don't have much concern about these people.

I'll attempt to hide my disgust for these people better.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Originally posted by Chicken
    . . . . . I'll attempt to hide my disgust for these people better.
    Please don't.

Whilst everyones entitled to an opinion, and I welcome all regardless of 'for or 'against'.

From personal experience I have always found 'Chicken' to be fair game
    Always willing to enter into a bit of online banter and never taking things personally. Being a MOD on aboard such as WHT can't be an easy task - for anyone.

Eladesor.
    Regards

Eladesor

The mods are...

...only doing what they think is right for the majority of the boards members.

Its only human to make mistakes, mods do make mistakes as do users who violate the rules, thats why the mods understand minor mistakes and amend them sometimes with a witty retort to add humor to the mistake but what are the mods to do if somebody blatantly ignores the rules or attempts to circumvent them using often childish procedures?
    www.microsolder.uk - Microsoldering Services in the UK

Once again, I don't disagree with the actions the mods take. I disagree with the way they do it. I don't find anything funny about it. That is just me though.

The Mods are great! It`s not like every other board out there with nice and sweet mods, because WHT is highly commercial and surely half of the members are iBiz() people.

Having Chicken in bald text on the "members online" list was a little nasty though