good shop cart software?

Can you suggest a good shopping cart software? I'd like to learn and open online store down the road?

If you are using PHP - OSCommerce is a way to go. Otherwise, if you are looking for ASP, check out www.vpasp.com. And then of course you can have your own shopping cart built to your specs, usually for about $700.

One thing that you might want to specify, tomamy, is what kind of technical skills and programming languages you are comfortable in... or if you are looking for an off the shelf cart that can be installed and managed through a Web interface.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

www.cubecart.com seems to be pretty decent, although it doesn't have the huge developer community of oscommerce (and so it has fewer mods).

But it looks a lot better out of the box and is suitable for most needs..

Find a good php shopping cart. Do a search on yahoo! for php shopping cart.

Miva
    NxTek Solutions Inc - www.nxtek.net
    Award-winning Hosting, Development, and Ecommerce Solutions
    Locally-owned and operated Datacenter since 1999
    There is no best pizza, only the pizza that's right for you.

As previously recommended, osCommerce may be your best bet - particularly if you're just starting out.

Its an open source product (so free!). Very large community associated with it, so there's lots of help out there. Also, may hosts have experience on it and would be able to help you set it up, customize it, support it, etc..

Best of luck with your venture,
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Originally posted by Gargoyle
    As previously recommended, osCommerce may be your best bet - particularly if you're just starting out.

Its an open source product (so free!). Very large community associated with it, so there's lots of help out there. Also, may hosts have experience on it and would be able to help you set it up, customize it, support it, etc..

Best of luck with your venture,
    Why would a host support a free product without getting paid. Common you know that isn't true. There isn't one host that offers free support for OScommerce. Don't fib to the poor guy and cause him to make a poor decision if he doesn't know php.

Originally posted by MrBojangles
    Why would a host support a free product without getting paid. Common you know that isn't true. There isn't one host that offers free support for OScommerce. Don't fib to the poor guy and cause him to make a poor decision if he doesn't know php.
    We provide ALOT of free support for osCommerce. We also have extended support packages and charge for that as well.

Many hosts offer basic osC support at no additional charge (when one buys a hosting pakage)

Overall, I think recommending a host that supports osC is good advice. If he needs more then basic support, or specific customization, then yes, he would probably have to pay for it. (but I dont think the poster, or any reasonable person would expect less).

Also, I mentioned that theres a large osC community, another source of free, extensive support.

Dont be so quick to make accusations. osC is a good option for people starting out with ecommerce and using a host that can support the application is good advise.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Hey Gargoyle, don't worry about bojangles. He can't help it, he still uses YAYHOO! lol

Originally posted by webrebel
    Hey Gargoyle, don't worry about bojangles. He can't help it, he still uses YAYHOO! lol

Thanks Webrebel
    www.cartika.com

We provide ALOT of free support for osCommerce. We also have extended support packages and charge for that as well.

Many hosts offer basic osC support at no additional charge (when one buys a hosting pakage)
    They don't support any add-ons or mod's you make. Give me one host that does. They only support that it works on their server. They don't support it if you have questions or need to make modifiations or additions.

They don't support any add-ons or mod's you make. Give me one host that does. They only support that it works on their server. They don't support it if you have questions or need to make modifiations or additions.
    I also meant to say at no charge. No host supports it for free.

Your own site says:

Monthly support package ($49.99 CDN/month)
    (Included in Tier 2&3 Support/Hosting packages)

Do you need constant support with osCommerce?
    This could range from training on osCommerce, walkthrough, bug detection and fixes as well as other unexpected problems that may come along.
    This is an ideal solution for serious osCommerce store owners who need technical support and experience on the osCommerce platform.

Are you currently experiencing an urgent osCommerce problem? Do you need immediate assistance to solve the issue?

Per Incident Support Package ($99.99 CDN for non Cartika Customers - $39.99 CDN for Cartika Customers)

So you do charge for support. Its on your own site.

Why would any host support any add-ons the "customer" makes for free.

We support all the add-ons we include in our snapshot and we have never turned away a request for "how to" or even minor customization. We also support, for free, any questions related to any stable released snapshot of osCommerce.

Now, if a customer wants to install their own mod, or have us create one for them, or wants any serious customization, then of course we charge. Again, I think this is a reasonable expection.

Not sure who you have dealt with in the past, but again, my original advise stands. If you're planning on using osCommerce, do a search on google for osCommerce hosting. The top 5-10 companies specialize in this product and most offer a much higher level of support for free (rather then just ensuring it runs on the server).

Most, including us, will also offer premium support packages - which any serious osCommerce user will happily pay for. Things like monthly DB imports, mod additions, graphics integration. Same packages are also available from many other cart providers - whether it be Miva, Angora or many others.

Try customizing Miva and purchasing premium support with unlimited add-ons, database imports, etc... what do you think the cost of that will be?
    www.cartika.com

Per Incident Support Package ($99.99 CDN for non Cartika Customers - $39.99 CDN for Cartika Customers)
    Yup,

And this is exactly for people that install their own mods and need us to fix the resultant bugs...

If you leave the original osC snapshop as is, or if you install our snapshot, and you host with us, we dont charge for this... (keeping it bug free and running, answering basic questions (ie how do a create a new category, how do I add a product, how do I set the tax zones, how do I integrate with UPS, why are my images blurry, how do I make images, etc, etc, etc..) and even making basic modifications) - this is the same with most hosts that specialize in osC hosting...

Also, we have some serious osC users, who are performing weekly or monthly DB imports, constantly needing mods installed or created, getting graphics integration, adding custom pages or DB fields, creating custom reports, integrating with their ERP, etc... Of course we charge for that.. and have packages available for those people/companies that not only require it, but have demanded it from us- Again, this is the same for most hosts that specialize in osC
    Last edited by cartika-andrew; 01-13-2004 at 01:17 PM.
    www.cartika.com

Personally, PayPal's integrated cart isn't too bad, but not very professional for a web company.

However, if you're starting out and can't afford a different one. I'd recommend starting with it and evenually moving forward.
    Ricky Lipe
    Just Thinking About U • Because sometimes... you just can't help thinking about them.
    I Forgot 2 Tell You • Because there is always at least one thing you forgot to tell them.