Minecraft server

I was wondering what I'd need for this:

I'd like to start off a public server of maybe 50 or 100 slots. I also want to run a toplist website script as well as a minecraft site. I want to rent out minecraft servers by slot to players.

I obviously am starting small for now so I need something in a cheap budget. I want it to be adequate enough a system obviously. I'd want a windows host because I don't feel like tinkering with other operating systems anymore. I would like to start with an NA hosted server.

It's a plus to have some kind of money back deal where if the server doesn't perform well, or I can't get it off the ground within so long (maybe 30 days) then I can get a refund and leave the company. I'll also want to host a VOIP server of same amount of players (50 or 100) for the public minecraft server. Yes I plan to put a few mods mostly for security but leave the server mostly vanilla. I do not know alot about minecraft and haven't played it much. I just want to make a nice community and server host and make some money off of that. I have about 1000 likes on Facebook groups I own as well as hundreds of youtube subscribers, and several people in multiple MSN accounts, skype, and xfire.

If anyone has some offers for me feel free to reply or drop me a pm, or any suggestions on a host I'm welcome to also. I prefer direct hosting rather than reselling. Thanks.

what is your budget?

In general I would recommend against a Windows server because of a couple of reasons:
    - Windows generally uses more system resources to run the GUI and background services than a Linux box would, which limits the amount of resources you can throw at other things like Minecraft (specifically the RAM).
    - Windows servers have licensing fees, so they will tend to cost more on the whole for the same amount of resources.
    - Not all providers even have Windows servers, so you will limit your options quite a bit by restricting yourself to Windows.

That being said, I've run a number of Minecraft servers and they are crazy easy to setup even on Linux. I'd even be willing to help you out with that if you want.
    Otherwise you can also maybe look into some managed providers who might be able to do some things for you like setup the site(s) you want. That could allow you to not have to get too caught up in the Linux world.

Hope this helps.

Forget about moneyback if you looking for server (dedicated Server).
    Last edited by Prajyot; 02-20-2012 at 01:52 AM.
    PraHost.com - Since 2007
    Dedicated Servers - 1GE / 10GE / 25GE / 40GE / 100GE Unmetered Bandwidth | Exclusive Adult & Streaming Friendly Servers
    Data Centers: Netherlands, Germany, UK, Singapore

> Forget about moneyback if you looking for server.

Nonsense. There are providers out there who do stuff like this. Two good examples:

- Storm on Demand has for some time been running a $75 coupon where they will give you $75 in credit on your new account when you sign up - you can use this credit to test out their services and see if they will work for you, which is much like a money back guarantee.

- Linode offers a 7-day money back guarantee on their services. You can read that here: http://www.linode.com/faq.cfm#how-do-i-close-my-account or on their main page: http://www.linode.com/
    That gives you some time to check out their stuff as well.

I would recommend Storm above Linode for Minecraft because they offer more RAM for your money, but both are excellent hosts.

Am I missing something? Those servers are pricey for such low quality....

> Am I missing something?

Yes, definitely.

Linode - There is no VPS platform out there that is more flexible in what you as the user can do than Linode. I challenge you to find me one. Their Linode Manager allows you to do nearly everything you would ever need to your VPS. There are also plenty of customers who have not rebooted their servers in a year or more - usually to take advantage of Linode's yearly resource upgrades.

Storm on Demand - Storm is run by Liquid Web, an extremely reputable company with great support (Web Hosting Talk is run on a Liquid Web dedicated server) and their prices here are extremely competitive for their support and quality. Storm offers excellent prices on high RAM allocations for the VPS market compared to others, including Linode. Depending on what you need it might make more sense to find a nice dedicated server at a place like WebNX, but with Storm the flexibility of a virtualized platform is there.

No dedicated server providers offers any money back, you can try with a high end VPS first then go from there. Most VPS providers offer a reasonable money back guarantee.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

Quote Originally Posted by Ghan_04 View Post
    In general I would recommend against a Windows server because of a couple of reasons:
    - Windows generally uses more system resources to run the GUI and background services than a Linux box would, which limits the amount of resources you can throw at other things like Minecraft (specifically the RAM).
    - Windows servers have licensing fees, so they will tend to cost more on the whole for the same amount of resources.
    - Not all providers even have Windows servers, so you will limit your options quite a bit by restricting yourself to Windows.

That being said, I've run a number of Minecraft servers and they are crazy easy to setup even on Linux. I'd even be willing to help you out with that if you want.
    Otherwise you can also maybe look into some managed providers who might be able to do some things for you like setup the site(s) you want. That could allow you to not have to get too caught up in the Linux world.

Hope this helps.
    Yes I'm aware of this but as I said:

Quote Originally Posted by roman310 View Post
    I'd want a windows host because I don't feel like tinkering with other operating systems anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghan_04 View Post
    > Forget about moneyback if you looking for server.

Nonsense. There are providers out there who do stuff like this. Two good examples:

- Storm on Demand has for some time been running a $75 coupon where they will give you $75 in credit on your new account when you sign up - you can use this credit to test out their services and see if they will work for you, which is much like a money back guarantee.

- Linode offers a 7-day money back guarantee on their services. You can read that here: http://www.linode.com/faq.cfm#how-do-i-close-my-account or on their main page: http://www.linode.com/
    That gives you some time to check out their stuff as well.

I would recommend Storm above Linode for Minecraft because they offer more RAM for your money, but both are excellent hosts.
    Thankyou but like he said they are kinda pricy for me.

I fear that you will not be able to find what you want with a really low budget like that. I'd be expecting to pay around $100/month for what you describe. :-/

Hi,

Forget Windows, been there done that (coming from someone who sells Minecraft servers as a living now). Look at IOFlood.com

Regards,
    Jonathan Martin
    - MPServ LLC
    - MPServ.net - Quality Game Server Hosting - Minecraft - GMod - Team fortress 2
    - Custom Control Panel - Average 1 hour support response - Instant Activation - Amazing Prices!

If you want a full dedicated server for minecraft, and you're on a budget, the best price / performance combination would be an i3-2100 cpu. Because minecraft doesn't make the best use of multiple cores, the dual core cpu should work about as well for running a single server as a faster quad core cpu, and each core in the i3-2100 is nearly as fast as a high end quad core cpu. The i3-2100 is also pretty cheap. If you were running a lot of smaller servers then I'd give different advice, but for a single large one on a tight budget, that would make the most sense.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Because minecraft doesn't make the best use of multiple cores, the dual core cpu should work about as well for running a single server as a faster quad core cpu
    We have no experience with Minecraft servers but we do have experience with applications that use a single thread. So my question is:
    Would it not make sense to run multiple Minecraft servers on a single box, binding each server to it own CPU core?
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    We have no experience with Minecraft servers but we do have experience with applications that use a single thread. So my question is:
    Would it not make sense to run multiple Minecraft servers on a single box, binding each server to it own CPU core?
    You don't necessarily have to bind each to it's own cpu core, and the single threaded-ness isn't a hard and fast rule, just a guideline. I've seen some MC servers that are "maxed out" with 90-100% cpu in "top" (one full core), some that "max out" at 120-130%, and recently I saw one that was bumping all the way up to 300%. So because of this I no longer say that MC is strictly single core, but I do still stand by the rule of thumb that it generally makes poor use of additional cores, and therefore faster cores are more useful than multiple cores.

As far as it goes, MC is a great use case for virtualization or shared hosting, because of the above core considerations. On a high end quad core server, so long as you had sufficient disk i/o and ram, you could run two really big MC servers just as easily as you could run one, so yes, it usually makes more sense to split up a server and run multiple customers on it for minecraft, rather than have a dedicated server just for one MC server.

thanks for the input everyone

I would highly suggest for you to go with a Minecraft host specifically offering reseller packages.

Minecraft eats up quite a bit of disk I/O, ( Small, Random writes )

We've tried Minecraft on windows, but it was just simply slower than a CentOS 5.7 machine running the same exact hardware, with the MC servers on SSD. Plus with the added resource usage of windows (1GB idle vs 1-200MB ) it's really not worth it to run Minecraft servers on windows.

I've seen some MC servers that are "maxed out" with 90-100% cpu in "top" (one full core), some that "max out" at 120-130%, and recently I saw one that was bumping all the way up to 300%. So because of this I no longer say that MC is strictly single core, but I do still stand by the rule of thumb that it generally makes poor use of additional cores, and therefore faster cores are more useful than multiple cores.
    It depends... really. I noticed with the NoLag plugin, on Java 7 running Bukkit R3/R4, servers will use up as many cores as it wants depending on load. Adding in aggressive garbage collection in the command line will also allow the server to eat up CPU, instead of just simply ram.

So it's simply really, if you're only hosting 1 large server, get yourself a reliable SSD, and the fastest CPU out there. If you're hosting many small to medium servers ( shared hosting ) more cores will help significantly given that you have the proper disk I/O to support them.
    Last edited by Cookiesowns; 02-24-2012 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roman310 View Post
    It's a plus to have some kind of money back deal where if the server doesn't perform well, or I can't get it off the ground within so long (maybe 30 days) then I can get a refund and leave the company.
    No reputable provider will ever give you a money back guarantee based on whether or not you are able to get your business/project 'off the ground' in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    I noticed with the NoLag plugin, on Java 7 running Bukkit R3/R4, servers will use up as many cores as it wants depending on load. Adding in aggressive garbage collection in the command line will also allow the server to eat up CPU, instead of just simply ram.
    Thanks for that information. I'm sure that'll help out some of my customers : )

Thanks for that information. I'm sure that'll help out some of my customers : )
    Sure thing.

You helped most of us out when it comes to networking, it's all about giving to the community when you can right?

And to OP, if you don't have the contingency plans to "test" the waters for a month, don't even bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    Sure thing.

You helped most of us out when it comes to networking, it's all about giving to the community when you can right?

And to OP, if you don't have the contingency plans to "test" the waters for a month, don't even bother.
    Yup, I definitely try to be as helpful as I can.