What size server rack cabinet do I need? plz suggest

Hi,
    Recently I am in market for 32U and 42U floor standing rack cabinet. But can't figure out what size should I go with for the servers in office.

Options I have is: 600x1000mm or 800x1000mm

which one to get?

All server we use are supermicro 818-14
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/c...C818G-1400.cfm

from website dimension is
    Width 17.2" (437mm)
    Depth 28.2" (716mm)

I dont want to get in a situation that I brought one and later in office none of the servers fit.

plz suggest.
    TechWacky - The Social Tech Guide - HERE
    Currently operate servers with: Wholesale Internet, EvoSwitch, DataShack
    _) Previous servers: Limestone Networks, RapidSwitch, Poundhost, TailorMadeServers, JoesDC

All servers are for 19" rack

If you have a chance use bigger rack as there will be more space for wiring

I always suggest deeper. As the poster above me said, more room for cabling and to work in the back there if you need to.
    AS395558

well the depth is 1000mm, which i believe is enough, as my server is just 716mm

I am confused with Width they say...600mm or 800mm <---what is that

I found this image..
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19088-01/...ackmount-8.gif

SO basically all server are 19" but when retailer say 600mm or 800mm width that means its saying the width of the cabinet from outside. is it?
    _) Previous servers: Limestone Networks, RapidSwitch, Poundhost, TailorMadeServers, JoesDC

Looks like a standard Supermicro 1U chassis, we usually get the APC AR-3100
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

what cabinet are you looking at?? that would go a long way to tell you what the actual dimensions they are talking about are.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

800mm is obviously the width, this gives you 100mm either side of the rack mounting frame which can be useful for cables passing cables from back to front (if you have limited rear access) etc.

Personally I don't think it'll help much, but it certainly won't do any harm to have one that's too big.

The number of U will control the height, 42U should go under most ceilings (44.45mm x 42U + feet & lid) normally ends up being about 2m.

When you're rack mounting make sure
    1). You adjust your vertical posts correctly, personally I go as far forward as possible and then the back post wherever it fits in best with the hardware

2). You put your servers in actual U spaces, there are 3 holes in a U, the middle one whole of a U is further apart from the other two holes than the next U. If you don't use the correct holes you'll find servers don't fit

Re Depth, 1000mm is probably the minimum you want to consider, 800mm is possible but will be quite tight with most servers.

You should also consider the noise and heat, if you have 42 servers in an office it'll put out a few kW of heat and a few dB of noise and probably upset the neighbours. If you put it in a cupboard make sure it has some ventilation, servers like stable temps and nothing much about 27C
    ServerHouse | Est 2001 | 3x UK Data centres | Roof access, satcoms | High density | DR as standard
    http://www.serverhouse.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by serverhouse View Post
    800mm is obviously the width, this gives you 100mm either side of the rack mounting frame which can be useful for cables passing cables from back to front (if you have limited rear access) etc.

Personally I don't think it'll help much, but it certainly won't do any harm to have one that's too big.

The number of U will control the height, 42U should go under most ceilings (44.45mm x 42U + feet & lid) normally ends up being about 2m.

When you're rack mounting make sure
    1). You adjust your vertical posts correctly, personally I go as far forward as possible and then the back post wherever it fits in best with the hardware

2). You put your servers in actual U spaces, there are 3 holes in a U, the middle one whole of a U is further apart from the other two holes than the next U. If you don't use the correct holes you'll find servers don't fit

Re Depth, 1000mm is probably the minimum you want to consider, 800mm is possible but will be quite tight with most servers.

You should also consider the noise and heat, if you have 42 servers in an office it'll put out a few kW of heat and a few dB of noise and probably upset the neighbours. If you put it in a cupboard make sure it has some ventilation, servers like stable temps and nothing much about 27C
    Thanks a lot for the info. I don't need space for cable on side, as its going to be for 6 servers and one 24 port patch panel. I will go with 600x1000mm... 32U , front door is plexiglass. I will have easy access to rear. I will going with a brand called iview or inet. 32U will cost around 380ish USD.

Quote Originally Posted by techwacky View Post
    front door is plexiglass. I will have easy access to rear. I will going with a brand called iview or inet. 32U will cost around 380ish USD.
    Your servers suck cold air in the front and blow hot air out of the back.

Make sure your rack has vents to allow this, normally the more vents the better, with glass fronted racks you normally have vents at 45 degrees the glass, but you'll also need them at the back.

I wouldn't recommend putting fans in the top of the rack as this has been proven to only cool the top 1/4 of the rack.

Ideally we like to be able to feel the air blown from the servers out of the rack door when the door is closed, nice to know all the hot air is getting out
    ServerHouse | Est 2001 | 3x UK Data centres | Roof access, satcoms | High density | DR as standard
    http://www.serverhouse.co.uk

Make sure your rack has vents to allow this, normally the more vents the better, with glass fronted racks you normally have vents at 45 degrees the glass, but you'll also need them at the back.

I wouldn't recommend putting fans in the top of the rack as this has been proven to only cool the top 1/4 of the rack.

Ideally we like to be able to feel the air blown from the servers out of the rack door when the door is closed, nice to know all the hot air is getting out

I agree,
    Cold air flow is paramount within any size Rack especially the more equipment you are utilising within the rack.

Bad air flow can lead to premature server failure due to parts overheating and some parts generally becoming non functional i.e. HDD's, Fans, PSU's etc..
    4D Hosting - premium hosting solutions
    VPS | Reseller Hosting | Exchange Email |
    www.4dhosting.com |@4dhosting

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    I always suggest deeper.
    Ditto.

I'd personally go with a deep 42U cabinet. Buy something that can support vertically mounted PDUs. The space savings are significant and you'll be thanking yourself later when you start filling up the cabinet.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

Looks like one rack will do. it also depends on how much power these server may take. even though they are 1u servers it depends ob the processors and how much power they consume. so at the end of the day you may need one but for safe measure plan for two.
    ¦¦ COLOCATIONAMERICA.COMIt’s All About Connections...
    ¦¦ Colocation, Dedicated Servers, Premium Bandwidth, 24/7 Support!
    ¦¦ Los Angeles , New York , New Jersey , San Francisco , Chicago
    ¦¦ Email: Sales@ColocationAmerica.com for a quote or call 888-505-COLO!

As per your recommendation I am getting glass front door, with vents on both side. mesh vented rear door, and 4 fans on top.

You didn't understand.
    You should get mesh front AND rear. You have no use for the glass and it will just impede maximum intake airflow for cooling. You don't need the fans at the top though. Just make sure that when you rack equipment, you DO NOT leave spaces between equipment and any open gaps at the FRONT of the rack are closed off with blanking panels.
    You do not want the hot exhaust air being recirculated thru the front of the servers from the gaps between equipment.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

I know that I need mesh vented front door but because the server cabinet will be inside an office, due to the sound we are going with glass front. It is not an option but its must. regarding the cooling... aircon runs 24x7 inside office.

A lot of the noise will be from the rear as the air exhausts out

I know.... that is everyone in office has to deal with.