Should I go VPS route, or should I stay with simple web hosting? Which VPS to go with

I have several Wordpress blogs and couple of websites of projects I am working on.
    So far I have been on GoDaddy and want to get the hell out of there. Too many reasons to list here.

Here is my question, I have seen some VPSes go as low as $15 per month. That is definitely a price I can pay. I am also good with Webmin and at least decent with command line (well... google helps there).

I am not using too much space. 500MB for web content, so probably 2-3gigs of HD would do.
    My traffic on all the sites combined at the busiest has been 20GB per month (which I highly doubt, since GoDaddy stats suck).

Biggest reason I am looking at VPS is because with GoDaddy, middle of the day my sites are hardly accessible. I am not getting the hits, because they (just like many other hosts) oversold the servers. So some kind of CPU guaranteed allocation would be nice.

Lastly, it would be nice to be able to run one VPN tunnel for the times I am at coffee shops.

Should I just move to a better web host or should I go with VPS? If I should go with VPS, what config would you recommend and what host would you recommend (US-based)? Keeping it under $20 per month would rock.

Give ServerComplete a shout, Daniel regularly has a special running. I have a backup server over there.
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

I would move to a better web host. You likely will be in a worse situation if you get a bottom feeder vps at that price.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

That depends on whether you are able to manage a vps yourslef

You did not mention how much ram you need, but from your resource requirements above (3GB of storage space, 20GB monthly traffic, willing to pay $20/month), you should have no problem finding a unmanaged vps.

If you take the vps route, you have to handle all the software related problems, like system patching and reconfiguration, yourself. Try to build a web server (your target application) first, from your old, unused pc at home. Can you handle that? That is the most important criteria when deciding to go vps or shared, in my opinion.

Managed vps might be another option. I have never used that, so can not comment on it.

I you care only about your disk space, I would stay on the Shared Hosting route as it much cheaper.
    As previously mentioned, with your VPS, you should have at least basic sys-admin knowledge and some spare time.
    CloudVPS
    Affordable VPS Servers - Middle East
    High performance | Green technologies

You're best off staying with shared hosting, as your requirements are quite low. At your price range, you are looking at an unmanaged VPS, which unless you have experience with servers, will take a lot of your time (for learning etc...), not to mention you will lose all of the luxuries of cPanel, unless you decide to pay the license fee and get one for your VPS.

Since you have multiple websites with low traffic, going with a basic reseller account from a good host would make sense at this point. Unless you are looking for windows hosting, I would recommend going with a host which offers WHM/Cpanel, which would make the task of handling all the sites a breeze and would also be easier to move to another Cpanel host.

As for reseller hosts, I would recommend www.hostgator.com and www.mddhosting.com. I have used both of them (still with MDDHosting) and they are quite a good value for money and have fast servers and reliable network.

Honestly, I'm not convinced you need a VPS just for that - we use more resources than that on our current shared host.

Over the years our company has used various shared hosts, both for ourselves and via our clients the best by far that we have come across has been http://www.justhost.com - we've used them for just over a year now.
    You get cPanel included in the cost, can host unlimited domains, have unlimited space/bandwidth, MySQL databases, email accounts, etc.

Their servers have been rock solid (ours is hosted on a Xeon L5410 2.33GHz /w 8GB RAM and another 2GB as swap), services are well priced, support has always been good (though admittedly we've never used it much), and I have never noticed them to be down ever.

Currently we have 9 domains hosted on our account, over 23GB of data stored on them, 37 email addresses, 17 MySQL databases, etc. one month we used 41.44 GB of bandwidth on one of our domains, and they never batted an eyelid.

Code:
    ***@btcentral.org [~]# uptime
    13:54:53 up 108 days, 11:14,  1 user,  load average: 0.43, 0.33, 0.45
    Above is the uptime response from my current account with them - the 108 days uptime is because we were migrated to a newer server - free of charge, without even asking.

And to top it all off, it costs us a grand total of £35.76/year so it hardly breaks the bank - I really would highly recommend them if you do end up looking for another shared host.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BTCentral - Ben; 12-05-2009 at 04:24 PM.
    Ben Thomas, Director - BTCentral Web Development Services
    http://www.btcentral.org.uk - Need a custom Web App? Visit us online.

Try another shared host for a month,if that suites you then its good
    Else get a VPS,At your price you will get a decent unmanaged VPS.

As per your post I assume you have a medium/low traffic websites, so a VPS with 512 MB Ram will be enough for you.Get an unmanaged VPS and install webmin on your own.

Go with a reseller. You can have separate hosting accounts for an inexpensive price. The VPS's that you can get for $15 won't be worth crap.
    VPSforMe.com - OpenVZ Virtualization with SolusVM Control Panel on High Quality Servers.
    VPSforMe.com - Inexpensive VPSs with great features.
    VPSforMe.com - 24/7 Ticket Support with FAST Replies
    VPSforMe.com - CEO Jackson H - Jackson@vpsforme.com

I'd also go for a shared host at this point. Any other host is likely to be an upgrade from godaddy, especially if you go with the highly regarded hosts here in WHT (read the shared host section). You can then focus on developing your sites instead of spending hours a day setting up your VPS.

I think in the immediate, you should give another host a try but if you intend on growing those blogs to the max...a vps (medium, maybe next 3 yrs with great advertising) and a dedicated in the long run. Always remember to back up your data!
    If you're the smartest person in the room then you're in the wrong room