Looking for hosting to host my own "image host".

Hello,

I'm looking for hosting to create my own image host like imageshack.us... I had a look around and I'm surprised by the huge amount of both bandwidth and space some hosts offers. Taking a look at hostgator and hostmonster who both offer 600 Gigs of space and 6,000 Gigabytes of Bandwidth. That sounds awesome, but I feel insecure.

I don't want to do the mistake and buy something that won't do good in both speed and uptime so I figured I should ask here.

What is a good host for an image host site?

The host must accept "image hosting" sites. It must be fast and reliable (good uptime) and preferable not very costly since I have a low budget.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 01-03-2008 at 05:24 PM.

You probably won't be allowed to use all that storage and bandwidth.
    You might be better off starting with a VPS

Hostgator and hostmonster both told me just now that they don't allow image hosts.

Image hosts are very resource intensive.

-
    The hosts you found are massive oversellers. Hostgator is a good host. I use them and they've been great. But many shared hosts don't allow image hosting.

500GB of storage, even 50GB is too much on a shared host. Try to host that and you'll be suspended for resource abuse (high server loads, crashing server, etc.)

Try a VPS for starters, you can always go dedicated.
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator

Do you have any recommendations for where? Could I get something good for 10$/month. I would probably just need 50gb space and some hundred gb in bw

You wont find for that budget. Period.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    You wont find for that budget. Period.

rapidshare...
    Prorant.com - Web Hosting Directory & Honest Reviews
    Vanguard-Hosting.com - 24x7 Toll Free Support Cpanel Hosting

For 50GB storage, the cheapest VPS (unmanaged) with 50GB storage is $30 (www.bigvps.com)

rapidshare...
    Yeah I have look at rapidshare, but it doesn't work as an image host like I want...

For 50GB storage, the cheapest VPS (unmanaged) with 50GB storage is $30 (www.bigvps.com)
    Looks too unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by Warz View Post
    Yeah I have look at rapidshare, but it doesn't work as an image host like I want...

Looks too unprofessional.
    lol I was joking with rapidshare....
    Prorant.com - Web Hosting Directory & Honest Reviews
    Vanguard-Hosting.com - 24x7 Toll Free Support Cpanel Hosting

http://www.cheapvps.net/

But they do not have the space you specified. For 50 GB of storage for 10$, no way. Not going to happen for that price range

Proffessional *looking* or not, I've only ever read good things about them on WHT. I'm sure there's plenty of hosts with a nice website out there though.

I'm looking for hosting to create my own image host like imageshack.us...
    Taking advantage of huge shared hosting accounts could work to a certain degree, and only up to a point. After that point, you'll have to start facing the real costs of what you're trying to do. For example, you can expect that each GB of data transfer alone, will cost you $0.10+. If you want quality bandwidth, costs will actually increase.

You need a solid foundation for a solid business.

Taking advantage of huge shared hosting accounts could work to a certain degree, and only up to a point. After that point, you'll have to start facing the real costs of what you're trying to do. For example, you can expect that each GB of data transfer alone, will cost you $0.10+. If you want quality bandwidth, costs will actually increase.

You need a solid foundation for a solid business.
    I have the script from YABSoft which offers Multi Server Balancing, so I guess it's possible to buy more hosting accounts to spread the resources?

Multi Server Balancing
    # The Multi Server Balancing feature of MFHS allows webmasters to distribute server resources rationally across multiple locations and provide quality, speedy services for users. This feature alone shifts AIHS above all competition. It does all this with amazing simplicity for an administrator. This feature is absolutely indispensable for anyone running a growing Free Image Hosting website. One Click to setup UNLIMITED secondary servers!
    # Specify specific, or random servers for uploading!
    # Detailed Bandwidth and Webspace Usage easily tracked for all servers

Never tried it, but http://nearlyfreespeech.net seems to be good for things like this.

Most hosts don't allow image hosting. Good luck.

10$ for 50gb space is a pretty low budget. You would need to raise your budget to atleast 20$ to find a good and reliable host.
    HighLayer - Canadian Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Latest cPanel/WHM - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 24/7 Support
    Visit www.highlayer.com or Call 1-888-84-LAYER

I could probably raise it a bit, or lower my needs. I'm not going to run something huge, just a small image hosting site but it will have much pictures.

Dont rely on shared hosting, id go with a vps if i was you!

I will probably go with bigvps, I did some more research and it seems like a good company. Thanks

Most hosts don't allow anonymous upload scripts/sites. I try it on godaddy -> Account Suspended.