100 milion PV per month is one of our milestone

I'm asked for an advice, but honestly I've never experienced scale such as 100M PV per month. I'm thinking of giving them an advice for cloud computing. We're looking at about 2~3 years until reach 100M milestone.

- WordPress + external commenting system such as Disqus.
    - VBulletin as choice of our forum.
    - Main content will be the images. Size of each image would be 500k~1MB.

So far I've reached RightScale, and they told me that rough estimate is hard, it'll be safe to guess around $15,000 for the first year. I have not experienced cloud before so I don't know if it's reasonable or not.

Anyone experienced RightScale? Or are there any other company who has experience on projects like this?

I appreciate any input. Thank you.

The bigger question is, what do you use now. Cloud would be a great environment to provide you with the flexibility, reliability, redundancy, and scalability of your platform but pricing would be determined based on your actual needs. Estimating needs 2-3 years down the road is kind of silly. Focus on today, and 12 months from today. Find a Cloud host to discuss a custom solution. With a $15K budget you could do a small VPDC (Virtual Private Data Center).

I was thinking of cloud because people said that if we ever reach the milestone, that's most likely where we would end up. You're right about estimating years down the road, no one can or should even try it. But I thought that instead of changing from dedicated managed to unmanaged, hiring admins then moving to cloud and VPDC, upgrading and restructuring, I would want to stick to a road and follow it for lower downtime. Not that I expect 100% uptime, but with the investment that my friend is getting, they would probably want as closest as it can get.

And yeah I'm also talking to few hosting companies. Interesting because some of them knows exactly what I need, while others telling me that not to worry because they can make an upgrade within 48 hours.

If you know any good ones, I'm all ears.
    And thanks for your input.

I do agree with you there. The more you grow, the more attractive Cloud becomes. There's "shared" cloud's, then the private/VPDC cloud setups. That of course is the most powerful environment as you can basically use any hardware you want so it is custom tailored to your needs, but it's more costly upfront.

Each host will more than likely talk in a way that they can service you, so I would expect different responses from different companies. Just keep asking questions, learn about their infrastructure, their history, and try to make the most informed decision you can. That's great you want to pick a host that can be with you for the long haul though. Anyone in business appreciates that.

Search the forums, and contact some companies you may be interested in. It's against forum rules for companies to "reach out" to you directly even if they feel you're a good fit.

Ahh, I didn't know it was against the rules. I guess I'll have to search around.
    Thank you for your insight!

No problem. I'm fairly new to WHT myself and appreciate the environment that it is here. I've been to some forums where people flood your thread and PM box with so many offers so this is a nice break.

Good luck with your search and feel free to post additional questions. There's a lot of people here to help!

What's your budget and what are your requirements between say now, and in the next 6 months?

If you have the requirement and budget to do so, it may be wise to start off with a two machine set up from the start - one web, one database (ideally with a fast SSD). This type of set up, with a well optimised PHP and MySQL will scale far in comparison to a lot of set ups.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

Since you have decided to go with cloud hosting, i would say you start with a small cloud and you can always scale as you grow. The best bet is contact individual companies and get quote from each of them. Evaluate all the quotes and decide what company to go with. For much less than $15k/mo you can get great deals!

Make sure you get a clear Idea on what hardware the cloud is setup. With right hardware setup you can get performance, if not setup correctly it can cause huge problem (if not now, it may cause in the long run)