Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    First you need to know what method they're accelerating their disks. For many of us we are moving into this field using SSD based cacheing which means our raid cards determine which blocks of data are being commonly requested and those get cached on the SSD array and the rest of it stays on the less expensive and larger HDD's. So the dd test is not going to be completely accurate. So Mysql queries that are constantly getting hit will see improvement, while files that get a few hits a day will not. Using this technology is better for all because SSD's are very expensive when it comes to going to an all SSD solution and we cant offer large disk space for the same price, but with SSD Cacheing we can do this and performance increases for all users at a reasonable price point.

Truth be told, most vps servers max out on the Disk IO before the CPU's are maxed out, eventually someday this might become an even issue or completely reversed.

We will be rolling out OpenVZ and KVM based SSD Cached nodes later this year that will employ this technology, and other hosts are also following up on introducing SSD Caching into their servers.
    █ Total Server Solutions
    OnApp Cloud Solutions, CDN, DNS, Load Balancers, and Hybrid Dedicated Servers
    █ Colocation with Colo@
    Visit us at http://www.totalserversolutions.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FRCorey View Post
    First you need to know what method they're accelerating their disks.
    Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps more words from providers could be of use, to have them explained how they in fact are using SSD and for what purposes.

Of course, bare numbers do not give the entire view. Actual usage is the only means to have all the impressions.
    IT blog is under reconstruction, please standby
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network Monitoring Tool - contact me for coupon code to get discount

TWIMC, I have added the intro to CloudSigma IaaS provider. They offer SSD storage; the corresponding entry will be soon available in the chart as well.
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."

Added results for Stylex Networks' SmallSSD.
    Also adding results for a CloudSigma's VM.

Added CloudSigma's VM benchmarks, based upon SSD (VirtIO mode) drive.

Adding SSDVirt.com to the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Bo View Post
    .....When I grow to the above monthly price, I'll test the Storm as well....
    Stormondemand offers a free 75 credits, you need to search for it,
    you do not have to put out any money.

I created a SSD VM cloud in minutes, tested it with Centos 6.2, very impressive.
    Then i destroyed it and emailed them with a big thank you
    for giving me the opportunity to test it.

Their support is very very fast.
    My initial questions were answered in minutes.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by bwrob View Post
    Stormondemand offers a free 75 credits, you need to search for it, you do not have to put out any money.
    Thanks for the piece of advice. I'll look for the means to have those credits.

Here's a benchmark I ran for SSDVirt yesterday:

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2012...vnpPGESa3sOUHm

PHP Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    1.78353 s
    602 MB/
    ██ ServerBear - Easy 1 Command Benchmarking (IO, IOPS, UnixBench & Network)
    ██ Example Report - http://bit.ly/LMdmuG
    ██ Rankings - Current Top Performing Servers & Hosts - serverbear.com/benchmarks
    ██ Web Hosts - Benchmark Your Nodes & Our Performance Reports Increase Conversion Rates

Quote Originally Posted by serverbear View Post
    Here's a benchmark I ran for SSDVirt yesterday: ...
    Thanks.

As I've said in PM, I'll add a reference to your chart on the SSD chart page - if you don't mind.

No worries, we're adding the FIO tests to our automated script shortly.
    ██ Rankings - Current Top Performing Servers & Hosts - serverbear.com/benchmarks
    ██ Web Hosts - Benchmark Your Nodes & Our Performance Reports Increase Conversion Rates

No worries, we're adding the FIO tests to our automated script shortly.
    Do you have plans of including tests such as some of Phoronix suite?
    That would provide more details on actual VPS power with respect of a task it should solve (i.e., site hosting, DB server, calculations, monitoring etc)

Phoronix tests are automated easily.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Bo View Post
    Do you have plans of including tests such as some of Phoronix suite?
    That would provide more details on actual VPS power with respect of a task it should solve (i.e., site hosting, DB server, calculations, monitoring etc)

Phoronix tests are automated easily.

Thanks.
    Without hijacking your thread, yep Phoronix is on our todo list (along with GeekBench). We're about to roll out an uptime benchmarking service first

Adding StormOnDemand to the queue (I hope the test registration gets approved in immediate future).

Without hijacking your thread, yep Phoronix is on our todo list (along with GeekBench). We're about to roll out an uptime benchmarking service first
    Great.
    The more benchmark-related resources, the better for end users.
    Good luck!

Three SSD-powered VPS will be running benchmarks shortly, from the following providers:
    ssdvirt.com
    stormondemand.com
    ssdvm.net

Thanks to the corresponding representatives for providing me with VPSes. The results will be added to the chart ASAP.

Master Bo, your site has become one that I quite enjoy visiting every couple days. Thanks for doing this.
    Ain't here to spam my signature, I'm not desperate for sales.

@Master Bo

Is there anyway when you next update the site, make the test result table headers click-able, so people can for example, sort by dd speed, iops speed, etc etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by jarland View Post
    Master Bo, your site has become one that I quite enjoy visiting every couple days. Thanks for doing this.
    Thanks for your kind words. I hope I will be able to post, as planned, 1-2 posts a week the least.

Quote Originally Posted by mVPS-Simon View Post
    @Master Bo

Is there anyway when you next update the site, make the test result table headers click-able, so people can for example, sort by dd speed, iops speed, etc etc ?
    A good suggestion, thanks. Since the number of entries grows rather rapidly, it's definitely worth implementing.

I'll make that the next task to handle, after I complete currently scheduled benchmarks.
    Last edited by Master Bo; 08-15-2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: correction

Do you plan on doing some actual reviews or accept maybe user reviews if verified? I would love to see some well done reviews especially on the top 3 like ********.com and cleverkite

Quote Originally Posted by drvps View Post
    Do you plan on doing some actual reviews or accept maybe user reviews if verified? I would love to see some well done reviews especially on the top 3 like ********.com and cleverkite
    I know this question is not addressed to me.
    But, i have a SSD VPS server with ********.com right now, 2 nodes.
    I choose them because my test shows that they have highest IOPS numbers
    on their SSD HD that i have ever tested on many SSD VPS providers
    that advertise here.

I need a very fast SSD HD for mysql databases. I keep trucking
    of all ips that access my website with geoip, plus many other mysql entries.

So, if a VPS provider keep trucking of HD reads/writes, i could easily get in trouble.
    ******** scores higher on my test as a 4xE1230 on a dedicated server with 2xSSD HDs, but with a controller card of 3Gb/s, that way SSD runs at 1/2 of its speed.

Their support is excellent. Hardware enterprise grade.

my 2c worth

bob

Quote Originally Posted by drvps View Post
    In short, yes.

I do first reviews in approximately 3 weeks of actual usage (running tests is NOT actual usage).

I suppose more or less good review can be created in approximately 3 months of actual usage - during that time frame it becomes clear how any types of failures are handled, how stable is service etc etc etc.

So any review based upon real-life usage are very welcome. They can be useful for providers themselves as well, since SSD-powered hosting is relatively new and not all the aspects of optimization/maintenance are thoroughly studied.

Quote Originally Posted by bwrob View Post
    I know this question is not addressed to me. ...
    I do not mean to prevent reviews being posted here, but as I've said, all the reviews, with actual site's/whatever domain names are very welcome. After all, this is what convinces people most - actual use cases.

I will be glad to post such reviews in the blog, along with tests run by their authors.

Added wswd.net to the queue (I have ordered a VPS and will commence testing ASAP).

Note that after the above mentioned results are added, I'll change the way results are added:
    - a special content type, hosting plan, will be added, so that it can be commented etc
    - sorted display will be available (to handle the mentioned request to sort the plans by parameters)

Any suggestions are welcome. The above to be implemented during the remaining part of this week.
    Last edited by Master Bo; 08-17-2012 at 02:20 AM. Reason: correction

Two pieces of news:
    - wswd.net's review/benchmarking is postponed, due to technical reasons. Stay tuned.
    - I have posted the first (I hope, from many) review of ********. So far it offers most robust SSD-powered VPSes.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Master Bo; 08-17-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo

DigitalOcean and ServerLoft added to the queue.
    Last edited by Master Bo; 08-18-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Note that I am changing the way hosting plans/reviews are stored - it will take several days to transform all the records into 'Hosting plan' content plan.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast