Figuring out a price

I've been looking around WHT at domain names and what some people are asking for them. I've seen posts that state .net is worth 50% of .com and so on all the way down to .cc and .ws domains. I've seen users ask for $100 for a 3 character domain name.

Having said that, what makes a short domain name that has no traffic and no actual name worth something?

For example a 3 letter domain name like bob.com is useful and could be worth a lot (bob is a radio station here). Maybe in the mid 1000's. What I'm wondering is what makes xqd.com worth anything other than being short?

please note I'm just using those letters randomly. If it actually is someone's domain name here I apologize.

Should I register a name like xqd.com if I see it comes available?

Lastly are the 3 character domains worthwhile? Last week I could have registered a0k.net but chose not to. Probably a dumb move on my part.

well, there seems to be a mania for short .com's and to be honest rightly so.... This is because they have portensial.... All domain have portensial into becoming developed but specific words have more portensial then others... Say for example if you wanted to develope a website like a hosting company and you decide to call your selfs "BEST WEB HOSTING" you may be interested in the domain www.bwh.com as its short and easy to remember and with 1, 2 and 3 letter domains you can be creative and name your selfs to match the domains.... .coms are the leader in internet domains dut to the fact that it gained popularity first and is inbedded in everyones minds so if you wanted to visit a website on cars one of the first thing you will do is type cars.com and not cars.net or .org.......

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Postmaster
    This is because they have portensial....[QUOTE]

Portensial? If this is a real word, I'm running to register portensial.com right now. It's still available.

Ahhhh, just kidding.

ha ha ha ok afew mistakes there how about "potential"

3 letter domains are in such high demand because there is a limited number of them and all 3 letter domains for .com, .net, .org, .info, and .biz are registered.

So even something as ugly as QJX.com has value.

So you're saying that any 3 letter domain that I find I should register for potential future profit? Isn't that what squatting regulations prohibit?
    http://www.wpdirectorypro.com is a premium plugin to make a directory using WordPress
    http://www.pocketbikeforum.com racing, mods, sales, and general discussion of pocket bikes

Any three letter combination .com or .net. Any of the others you'll probably want to evaluate the letter combination first as some of them might not get any return on your investment.

Originally posted by Baal
    So you're saying that any 3 letter domain that I find I should register for potential future profit? Isn't that what squatting regulations prohibit?
    if someone bought a block of land with the hopes of making a potential future profit would you say they are "squatting" on that land?