View Poll Results: Do you like Windows 8?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. I'm sticking with Windows 7, XP.

65 48.87%
  • I'm undecided. I haven't tried it yet.

8 6.02%
  • I love Windows 8. Took a little getting use to

60 45.11%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnthony View Post
    It's a little different without a start button, move your mouse to the lower right corner of the screen and a tab should come out of that side of the monitor. Click the settings button, click power, and then shut down. Hope that helps
    I'm assuming the programmer who added the two extra steps to shutdown Windows 8 must have fell on his head before he redesigned that function.

That's why you should never rock your office chair back!

Now is that the same amount of steps to shutdown Windows 8.1? I don't remember because they just downgraded me back to two step Windows 7! Woohoo!

Those 3 months of Windows 8.1 has been hell for most at the office. To me it was just a pain in the ar$e.
    Last edited by UnhappyCamper; 02-04-2014 at 11:20 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

i use window's 8 for my server's due to updated and more secure. but would never use it at home or on the office computer's it's too tablety and full of widget's and gadget's
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by UnhappyCamper View Post
    I'm assuming the programmer who added the two extra steps to shutdown Windows 8 must have fell on his head before he redesigned that function.

That's why you should never rock your office chair back!

Now is that the same amount of steps to shutdown Windows 8.1? I don't remember because they just downgraded me back to two step Windows 7! Woohoo!

Those 3 months of Windows 8.1 has been hell for most at the office. To me it was just a pain in the ar$e.
    It can be done the same way in windows 8.1, although there are a few other methods of doing so as well. You can right click on the new "start" button, and you'll get a pop up menu, you can select shut down or sign out, and then shut down. I've never used it, but apparently you can hold down the alt key and press F4 from the desktop and a shutdown box will pop up.
      0 Not allowed!

Hi DAnthony.

I was joking about not knowing how to shutdown Windows 8.1

It sucked on a desktop PC, but works great on a tablet.
      0 Not allowed!

Hi DAnthony.

I was joking about not knowing how to shutdown Windows 8.1

It sucked on a desktop PC, but works great on a tablet.
    I figured you were, i just thought id throw those extra shutdown options out there for anyone that was curious.

I can imagine how windows 8 would be better on a tablet, it seems like they were really concentrating on mobile, and not desktop use
      0 Not allowed!

Windows 8-1 is a lot better than 7 in my opinion .
    It's faster in almost all points but the only thing that is annoying me is the design . But all in one its fine ...
      0 Not allowed!

I'm running 8.1 with IOBit Start Menu (http://www.iobit.com/update/startmenu8/index.php) since I hate not having a start menu. Other than that, for what I do and need, it performs pretty similar to 7.

I'm happy overall.
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, I like windows 8, but I did install Start8 and ModernMix so that I can have it like it was in Win7. I cannot live with all the fullscreen madness that's going on in win8, it's too much hassle when you have a lot of screens open.
      0 Not allowed!

wish we could have win7 interface with win8 performance... :p
      1 Not allowed!

I wasn't a fan at first now am I hooked on Windows 8!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DAnthony View Post
    It's a little different without a start button, move your mouse to the lower right corner of the screen and a tab should come out of that side of the monitor. Click the settings button, click power, and then shut down. Hope that helps
    With 8.1 you can right click on the Windows logo in the task bar, but really you should never use the mouse to access the start screen or charms. Windows 8 is all about learning the shortcuts.

The windows key brings up the start screen.

The windows key + i brings up the charms menu (which has settings, power, volume, network)

To launch a program, hit the windows key then start typing the name of the program and hit enter. For your commonly used programs, you only need to type one letter and hit enter and it will launch it fast. The indexing feature on the search is improved over previous versions. I don't even keep things on the desktop anymore except for temporary files, it is much faster using this method to launch programs not in my taskbar.
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry, 8 sucks. I gave it a good shot, and just never want to see anything called an "app" on my desktop computer. Which is where I use software and programs, NOT APPS! Those I use on my phone.

Sheesh, they just changed one thing... EVERYTHING. Charms bar???? really? FU Microsoft. I am not going to say to a client, "Just access your charms bar to find that setting." Nope, no way, not in this lifetime.

Seven rules forever!
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us
      1 Not allowed!

No I hated it when I tried it, but hey I am linux all the way, never use windows anymore
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
    Sorry, 8 sucks. I gave it a good shot, and just never want to see anything called an "app" on my desktop computer. Which is where I use software and programs, NOT APPS! Those I use on my phone.

Sheesh, they just changed one thing... EVERYTHING. Charms bar???? really? FU Microsoft. I am not going to say to a client, "Just access your charms bar to find that setting." Nope, no way, not in this lifetime.

Seven rules forever!
    The charms menu only provides quicker access to certain things. It isn't a disadvantage. You can still access everything in different ways, especially with Windows 8.1 which you can right click on the logo in the task bar and get access to everything.

However, learning the shortcuts and making use of the faster search makes Windows 8 > Windows 7 by a long shot.

For example, to make use of the search in an effective way. Let's say you want to launch Firefox and it is your most commonly used program that starts with an F, all you need to do is:

Hit the windows key, type f, hit enter and Firefox will launch immediately.

For control panel:

Hit the windows key, type 'co', hit enter and it will launch.

This works on Windows 7 too, but the search isn't as fast or accurate.
      0 Not allowed!

I have to admin, now I have my new computer it is starting to grow on me, I find it faster to do things.

But I would really like to see more apps
    Unhappy with your current host? Take at look at The Pro Host
    Daily Backups|Guaranteed 99% uptime|Friendly support
    What else do you need?
      0 Not allowed!

I personally took the effort to search for Windows 7 drivers on an ultrabook which came preinstalled with Windows 8, just so I could revert to Windows 7. The lack of a start menu and the somewhat drastic change in interface just makes it unappealing for me.
    HostWithLove.com - World Class Hosting Personalized - 9 Locations Across 4 Continents
    Fully Managed Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated and Dedicated Servers
    cPanel/WHM | CloudLinux | JetBackup | LiteSpeed | MariaDB | SpamExperts Outbound Filtering
    Locations: Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, Quebec, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Singapore and Sydney
      0 Not allowed!

i love windows 8, wouldnt ever go back to anything, however, there could be a few more apps :/
      0 Not allowed!

also, when i say apps, i dont mean facebook / twitter etc etc, i mean music apps, accounting apps, banking apps etc etc
      0 Not allowed!

Windows 7 still the best for me
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xlilx View Post
    Windows 7 still the best for me
    Millions more feel the same way including me. 8 is not allowed in our offices, none of them and will never be,

Everyone refuses to use it...good for them.
      0 Not allowed!

I have updated recently windows 8 and i am really enjoying it if you want move any icon in 'Quick Launch' toolbar just click on 'pin from start' and icon will create automatically.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ExeterWeb View Post
    also, when i say apps, i dont mean facebook / twitter etc etc, i mean music apps, accounting apps, banking apps etc etc
    push windows + d and run any app you want no need for windows store apps
      0 Not allowed!

So long as you have a touch-enabled PC, Windows 8 is easier to use than you may have feared. Just give yourself time to master the learning curve. I think I look cooler and more professional with Win 8
      1 Not allowed!

I love windows 8 once you get used to their new UI you will never look back.
    Failure is success if we learn from it.
      0 Not allowed!

So, has anyone tried Windows 8? Did you install a third party app to restore a fully functional Start Menu like what you had in Windows 7, or do you prefer the Start screen's tiles? Is the Start screen limited compared to a Start menu, or are you able to perform the same functions? Any privacy issues?

Are you sold with Windows 8, or are you sticking with Windows 7, XP?
    I tried windows 8 and feel don't like it so i come back to windows XP until now. Windows XP is the best
      0 Not allowed!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast