Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you think of people who steal images?

What do you guys and gals think of people who steal images off other peoples websites? I think its a most crude and unprofessional thing to do.

For example, I saw this website (an MLM website) which stole 2checkout.com's PC image:

First check 2checkout.com
    Then check mlmdc.com

I've attached a picture of the stolen image (with the website) incase the owner of the site (who posts in these forums) decides to change it, which he will

How many times has your site been ripped off like this? This recently happened to a site of mine (which I had quickly rectified by emailing the person who did it [and as usual the designer was blammed]) but still it angers me when some steals someone elses work....

Let me know your thoughts...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stolenimage.gif  
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

I really don't like people stealing designs, but for a picture is much more likely that it is from a free or paid picture shop/gallery.

Lightbulb

Of course, theft of any kind is wrong...

But keep in mind that there are many companies out there who do nothing but maintain a bank of standardized images and license those images to others to put on their web pages, catologs, brochures, etc. Search for 'stock photography'.

Just because an image appears in more places than one doesn't necessarily mean it's stolen. Many people just find it easier to pay $50 for an image than to take pictures or create graphics for themselves (or pay someone hourly to do it for them).

http://www.gettyimages.com/

http://www.superstockimages.com/

http://www.indexstock.com/default.asp

http://www.1stopstock.com/

http://www.comstock.com/web/default....450.2589702606

http://www.weststock.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Muse2

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=stock+photography
    Last edited by Pablo; 03-10-2002 at 11:18 AM.

If you look closely you will see that the image they stole of the computer clearly shows 2Checkout's web site being displayed. LOL.
    Hostit365.com - Reliable Web Hosting with magical support
    cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
    WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
    Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now

first, this domain, mlmdc.com, is mine,
    and it is pointing to the self replica website of my downline, Trey

and we are independant sales representatives for mlmdownlineclub.com

i am not sure who design the website,
    but i do know 2checkout.com is our primary cc processor

if you have questions, go ahead and email 2checkout.com and also mlmdownlineclub.com

the site is not designed by me nor my buddy Trey,
    as stated clearly in the website as "Independant MLM-DC Representative"

so, next time, please think before you post

"If you look closely you will see that the image they stole of the computer clearly shows 2Checkout's web site being displayed. LOL."

Exactly what im trying to point out.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]

Originally posted by sayap
    so, next time, please think before you post

FYI -- im not saying you're the one doing the ripping, im just pointing out the rip.

I think if one were to document all of the image borrowing that is prevalent on the web, it would never end. Rather than discuss each case, I'd simply forward the info directly to 2checkout (or other site owner) and let them worry about it.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I've attached a picture of the stolen image (with the website) incase the owner of the site (who posts in these forums) decides to change it, which he will

FYI -- im not saying you're the one doing the ripping, im just pointing out the rip

Originally posted by Chicken
    I think if one were to document all of the image borrowing that is prevalent on the web, it would never end. Rather than discuss each case, I'd simply forward the info directly to 2checkout (or other site owner) and let them worry about it.
    true

if anyone does a search for 'copying' here they'll get endless results

Click on Live Help

Okay, here's what I think of people who steal images.

They should all be shot!

But not to death, just some maiming.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Originally posted by bitserve
    Okay, here's what I think of people who steal images.

They should all be shot!

But not to death, just some maiming.
    Thats a bit extreme, just throw them in a turkish prison for a night

Originally posted by ^Kyo
    Thats a bit extreme, just throw them in a turkish prison for a night
    Better yet, every time we find one we should post at WHT about it, and talk bad about them! That'll stop this menace!

Oh wait, we already do that.

[Edit]
    Since it apparently wasn't clear, the above post included sarcasm. I oppose the unauthorized use of copyrighted site content, but also oppose the practice of reporting every vaguely hosting-relating possible occurrence of it at WHT.
    [/Edit]
    Last edited by JayC; 03-12-2002 at 02:18 AM.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Originally posted by JayC
    Better yet, every time we find one we should post at WHT about it, and talk bad about them! That'll stop this menace!

Oh wait, we already do that.

And *yet* it persists! LOL

Originally posted by avara
    If you look closely you will see that the image they stole of the computer clearly shows 2Checkout's web site being displayed. LOL.
    FREE ADVERTISING !!!!!
    Thank You, Sesran
    www.Hostified.com - Web Hosting
    Offering Shared, Reseller & Windows Hosting

Lock them in a room with Barry Manilow music piped in.

As if any of you haven't ever right click, did the old save as, then put a little photoshop magic to put it into your design.

Which brings up another interesting issue. If I cropped your image and put it into my design so that you cannot tell that it was your photo such as just a hand, or a finger, is that technically your image? Also, if I take your image and run it through several filters and renderings which makes it look entirely new - then again, is this your image?

As for design, if this really mattered, think about what a field day Amazon would have.

All in all - it always come to down to content. Every time. If a company steals your layout and trademark to appear as being you - then I'd say you have a point. But as for people using other people's images - that's just something you're gonna have to get to used to - being 1,000,000+ people are doing it on a daily basis. If you really have a problem with it, I'd say go lobby your favorite browser company and ask them to remove the "save image" thing. While you're at it, see if you can hide the HTML source code.

This is not to be a flame - just a prevenative measure to keep me free from Turkish prisons and all night Barry Manilow sessions.

Originally posted by Jezner
    This is not to be a flame - just a prevenative measure to keep me free from Turkish prisons and all night Barry Manilow sessions.
    Ah, I knew Barry Manilow would strike fear into the hearts of potential graphics thieves :-))

Originally posted by Jezner
    Which brings up another interesting issue. If I cropped your image and put it into my design so that you cannot tell that it was your photo such as just a hand, or a finger, is that technically your image? Also, if I take your image and run it through several filters and renderings which makes it look entirely new - then again, is this your image?
    Simple answer - yes and yes.

Or rather, anything you make is your image - the point lies with the illegal use of the original image. You can change, modify, skew, or blend any image you like but you'll still be using an image illegally. Sure you can make it look totally different to the original, but that doesn't negate the fact. It's also just a poor habit to get into.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Jezner,

I agree with Greg. And by the way, I never have stolen an image from another web site. I only have the one personal web site, but it's not that hard to create original content for it, and snap my own pictures.

It's unfortunate that we have to deal with lazy people who'd rather steal images than actually work and create one, or buy one, or even ask permission.

If you're that lazy, just stick with text. Much more legal and just.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

rather, anything you make is your image - the point lies with the illegal use of the original image. You can change, modify, skew, or blend any image you like but you'll still be using an image illegally. Sure you can make it look totally different to the original, but that doesn't negate the fact.
    I think that point is highly debatable. For example - I take your image and apply a massive amount of filters and rendering to it so that I am creating an entirely new image - for example - you take a picture of snow - I use the snow, do my magic so that it looks like metal grains, then apply to image - you've have an entirely new image.

That's just my point which, of course, does raise some interesting legal issues regarding art.

It's unfortunate that we have to deal with lazy people who'd rather steal images than actually work and create one, or buy one, or even ask permission.
    But using already exisiting images without permission does not simply indicate a level of laziness. There are many other factors such as access. For example - I need a picture of space, or say Jupiter. By that argument, I'm too lazy to build myself a rocket and launch myself with a 35mm camera. Or how about the world trade center? I guess that indicates I'm too lazy to hitch a ride with Guy Pearce and travel back a few years.

Of course, I could ask the website owner (which I do in some cases - I carry Political Cartoons on my own personal website) but lot of times the point is wasted since the website owner doesn't know where he or she "borrowed" the photo.

My main argument is that this thread is taking a very grey issue and turning it black and white. All people here are basically stating that they have never scanned or used another image without permission. Everything you've created has been 100% yours which I find very hard to believe. (And by the way - if you take your own pictures - you have to get signed releases of people in them otherwise you doing exactly what you oppose)

The other reason I am responding to this thread is because I'm bored and still have another six hours of work to go before I can go home.

Regards,

Jezner

Pretty much any image you need is available as a licensed image or from a paid for image disc. There really isn't a need to start with jacked (as the kids say these days) images.

Edit:
    I'll also add that as an educator, I have a bit more 'image borrowing' rights than many of you, but that doesn't mean I'd swipe an image and use it on a web site or use it in educational materials without reference to where I got it.

I've saved lots of images I liked, but I don't use them in the way you are describing, no. Never.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Re: What do you think of people who steal images?

Originally posted by ^Kyo
    What do you guys and gals think of people who steal images off other peoples websites? I think its a most crude and unprofessional thing to do.

For example, I saw this website (an MLM website) which stole 2checkout.com's PC image:

First check 2checkout.com
    Then check mlmdc.com

*snipola*

Let me know your thoughts...
    Asher,

Do you **know** that any image was stolen?

Did you really think this was the correct way for you to continue a fight with someone over their hosting business?

When will your childish tirades stop?

If you really were concerned about a "stolen image" you'd have simply sent an email to 2checkout.com, so please do not try to claim that was your purpose here.

Try to show a bit of professional courtesy and limit comments regarding 2checkout.com to card processing and don't involve us in your petty flaming attempts.

TomD
    tom@2checkout.com

Well, I'll let Tom speak to the specifics of this case, but in general, I purchase many images from Comstock and I though that this explanation of image piracy was very informative:

http://www.comstock.com/web/IHF/LICE...ensePiracy.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast