Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SSD hosting? reliable?

I was thinking to get server for my new hosting business. However, Some people said it doesnt really help. Any suggestion? I am thinking to sell SSD Shared hosting at this moment. Saw a few reseller with SSD too.

Thanks

SSDs are quite expensive, but are much more reliable, have longer life, and don't make any noise.

Not to mention read/write operations are significantly faster. Who told you they don't help?

With that said, it is pointless in certain use cases. It depends on what you're hosting whether you need it or not, will see the benefits or not.
    Sajan Parikh - PHP Development | Server Management | Linux Administration | Web Consulting
    Feel free to get in touch with me if I can be of assistance with anything.
    e: sajan@parikh.io | w: sajan.io
    Give me a call at (262) 343-5973.

Greetings,

On our shared servers, we use SSD in RAID 1 as a base and then mount /home onto SAS 15K disks in a RAID 10 array. It's a fantastic setup and the disk IO is phenomenal.

So, what I'm saying is using SSD is a good idea -- MYSQL etc will have fantastic query times, but using SSD for /home too is not very practical. Good SAS or SATA disks will work fine.

Good luck!

Last edited by Simplex-Ed; 04-09-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    SimplexWebs for awesome British web hosting, servers & domain names. Seven fantastic years of it.
    Need more power? We've got Enterprise Hosting for that.

Quote Originally Posted by sajanNOPPIX View Post
    SSDs are quite expensive, but are much more reliable, have longer life, and don't make any noise.
    I dont agree here. SSDs technically have a higher failure rate. You do want to make sure that backups are made to magnetic storage just in case
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

SSD in RAID 1 as a base and then mount /home onto SAS 15K disks in a RAID 10 array
    this make more sense and seems stable.

Quote Originally Posted by ngky7 View Post
    this make more sense and seems stable.

Realistically if you use that method, you'll only be using a small amount of disk space (OS, SQL, /boot etc). If you really do want to use SSD for /home too, prepare to pay the huge price tag.

SimplexWebs for awesome British web hosting, servers & domain names. Seven fantastic years of it.

thanks, just that I heard many saying higher failure rate or file system get corrupted very often.

anyone can recommend me a reseller with such or similar configuration ?

thanks, just that I heard many saying higher failure rate or file system get corrupted very often.
    Sure... which is why you need to be vigilant. Utilise a RAID array of disks instead of a single drive and, most importantly, a system of continuous data protection. R1Soft is a good choice.

SATA/SAS is more than enough for Shared hosting.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

I use SSD's on my main computer at home. All my servers for my company use conventional HDD but I can tell you that when I run a game server off my home computer on the SSD it makes a huge difference

compared to my normal magnetic hard drive. I would think it would make a big difference for game server hosting, not so much of a difference for web hosting as well as not being worth-while, and it would

be the same as web hosting for VPS hosting.
    Last edited by Ianm56; 04-09-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    SATA/SAS is more than enough for Shared hosting.
    You can't apply that argument -- the use of SSD is dependant on the user's needs.

SATA/SAS is fine for home computers, but why do you think people still use SSD? For the performance benefits.

Why do shared providers use SSD? For the performance benefits. Take MYSQL for example...
    Last edited by Simplex-Ed; 04-09-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplex-Ed View Post
    You can't apply that argument -- the use of SSD is dependant on the user's needs.

SATA/SAS is fine for home computers, but why do you think people still use SSD? For the performance benefits.
    Of course, SSD is faster, but SATA/SAS does the job. I doubt it'll make any difference to the end user whether the host is using SAS or SSD. Because the provider will just use the extra I/O from SSD to put more accounts on the server... which is the same as a provider using SATA/SSD with less accounts on the server. In the end, you get what you pay for, so ...

Edit: I see you edited your post after I had already quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplex-Ed View Post
    Why do shared providers use SSD? For the performance benefits. Take MYSQL for example..
    Yup, but it still comes back to my point of getting what you pay for, so I doubt it'll even matter to the end user...
    Last edited by HostXNow; 04-09-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Of course, SSD is faster, but SATA/SAS does the job. I doubt it'll make any difference to the end user whether the host is using SAS or SSD. Because the provider will just use the extra I/O from SSD to put more accounts on the server... which is the same as a provider using SATA/SSD with less accounts on the server. In the end, you get what you pay for, so ...
    That's not even close to true. Why are you implying that all hosts who use SSDs oversell? MediaLayer uses SSDs and MediaLayer doesn't oversell, and I'm sure there are many more out there who don't oversell as well.

SSDs are not faster than SAS drives, they are MUCH faster than SAS drives; like magnitudes of 10s faster than SAS drives, faster. SSD drives are especially good at random reades/writes, which is exactly what web hosting requires. End users will notice a tremendous difference between SAS drives and SSD drives.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    Why are you implying that all hosts who use SSDs oversell?
    Most providers will.

SSDs make a huge difference for end-users on desktops and laptops. They make that same impact on servers. That's really all there is to it.

Most providers will.
    Like whom? We use SSD and won't place more than 10 accounts per CPU core. That's no more than 240 accounts per server, I don't class that as overselling by any means .

I'm curious as to which shared providers that utilise SSD you know of that oversell. If a shared provider is using SSD, it's obvious that generally speaking they are going the extra mile and focus on performance. They wouldn't ruin that by overselling.

A lot of providers oversell with SATA/SAS, no different with SSD. Just because they're using SSD doesn't automatically mean they're not overselling.

Most providers will.
    I don't think so. I think the type of provider who cares enough to put SSDs in their shared hosting are less prone to oversell than those who have your average SATA or SAS RAID setup.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    I don't think so. I think the type of provider who cares enough to put SSDs in their shared hosting are less prone to oversell than those who have your average SATA or SAS RAID setup.
    The same could have been said about some providers who switched from SATA to SAS (because SAS was the new cool thing) and they started overselling with SAS. Why wouldn't they do the same with SSD?

Anyway, I'm not saying SSD isn't better. I'm just saying a host using SSD doesn't automatically mean you're going to get better performance from them for various other reasons.

HostXNow,

Sorry but your claims are unwarranted. You cannot compare the transition from SATA to SAS to the transition from SAS (or any mechanical drive) to SSD. A 15k RPM SAS drive is about twice as fast as a 7.2k RPM SATA drive, but an SSD is hundreds of times faster in terms of IOPS. Are you saying the providers are going to hundreds of times the accounts per server? Of course not, they'd run out of CPU well before then. And that's the point, by using SSDs you generally eliminate I/O bottlenecks. End-users will definitely see a benefit.

Not to mention, if relying purely on SSD based storage you'll have a higher cost per GB and lower capacity which means there is less room on the server to oversell and place more accounts.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I'll try again...

I have a clients site loading faster on our SAS setup than it did at their old provider who are using SSD drives. While the other provider uses SSD, and we use SAS, something else let the other provider down (overloaded CPU/bad network, who knows).

AGAIN, I'm not saying SSD isn#t better. All good having SSD, but other things can let the setup down.

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I'll try again...

I have a clients site loading faster on our SAS setup than it did at their old provider who are using SSD drives. While the other provider uses SSD, and we use SAS, something else let the other provider down (overloaded CPU/bad network, who knows).

AGAIN, I'm not saying SSD isn#t better. All good having SSD, but other things can let the setup down.
    Isn't it a given that if you have a crappy CPU or bad network, service is going to be bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Isn't it a given that if you have a crappy CPU or bad network, service is going to be bad?
    Pretty much.

Grr, I may have gone a little off topic.

Sorry guys.

I was thinking to get server for my new hosting business. However, Some people said it doesnt really help. Any suggestion? I am thinking to sell SSD Shared hosting at this moment. Saw a few reseller with SSD too.

Thanks
    To answer the original post: it helps if whatever you're serving would push the limits of your HDD config. It's also a big selling point in some markets regardless of the actual performance value.

If I were focusing on general shared hosting, though, I would stick with HDDs in most cases. Get some 15k RPM drives if you want capacity and speed.
    RamNode - High Performance Cloud VPS
    SSD Cloud and Shared Hosting
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Deploy on our SSD cloud today! - www.ramnode.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast