Dedi for social network

Howdy folks,
    I am starting up a social network site with an anticipated 400 users in the first month growing to about 2000 within a year (yes i have done a study and not just pulled this numbers out of thin air)

it will be offering audio/video so a dedi is pretty much necessary for encoding the files, and it will need to have cpanel and be able to have mysql db's

would an atom server (such as hivelocities $59 atom) be suitable for the 400 non concurrent users?

Also once the server has reached capacity, would it be best to transfer everything to a new server or cluster a second server in and have them both processing?

Cheers,
    Pete

An Atom is fine, and you would want to upgrade to a stronger server down the line, and then start clustering.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

damn you're fast.
    thanks for the reply

An Atom should be okay to start with, perhaps something a little more powerful is worth looking into though. What kind of audio / video is being processed on the site (aka do users upload it and the server encodes it to a certain format)? If so, that could be quite resource intensive alone.

Once you reach capacity, if it's on an Atom, I would personally recommend upgrading the server to something a little more decent power wise with Dual or Quad core running the helm at minimum, maybe a Dual Processor setup with mulitple cores. Then once that reaches cap, create a cluster.

Note: If your going for Hivelocity your going to get about 50mbit max upload. (I currently have there Gbit plan.)

(aka do users upload it and the server encodes it to a certain format)? If so, that could be quite resource intensive alone.
    Yep. Hence why I want to go dedi

Note: If your going for Hivelocity your going to get about 50mbit max upload
    that should be fine as most peoples upload speeds here are quite dismal

Yes, I assumed but you may want to consider a bit larger processor / decent ram for such encoding tasks. Don't under estimate it, is all

Quote Originally Posted by smenkhare View Post
    would an atom server (such as hivelocities $59 atom) be suitable for the 400 non concurrent users?
    Please make sure you are getting an Atom 330, not an 230.

It will keep you up for a few months, but then you will need to upgrade to a better processor. Clustering atoms is not the most efficient way of spending money.
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

If that is your requirements especially if you want to run videos, then it is better to go on Quad instead with SAS drives.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

What about this?

Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz
    2GB DDR
    250GB SATA
    4000GB (4TB)
    5 Addresses

File sizes for most users will be limited to 5-10mb and i am not expecting to have them all uploading at once.

"Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz" is pretty old nowadays, If you can get a single quad core processor that would be great
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

Quote Originally Posted by Harzem View Post
    "Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz" is pretty old nowadays, If you can get a single quad core processor that would be great
    quads are out of my price range.
    ps. I know servers that are still using single ultrasparcs

hmm... i wonder how i'd go getting it to run on a sun E10K lol.

get better disk setup then CPU.

Dual Xeon is dated, better than an Atom I would say. It's built to be a server processor, and can run at full bore 24/7.

That said Quads are pretty cheap at the moment and worth looking into. I would look for something with some more RAM personally. Due to the encoding. However limiting the file size to 5 - 10MB it shouldn't be too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by smenkhare View Post
    What about this?

Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz
    2GB DDR
    250GB SATA
    4000GB (4TB)
    5 Addresses

File sizes for most users will be limited to 5-10mb and i am not expecting to have them all uploading at once.
    I would go with this setup rather than going with an Atom processor. Maybe you can get some more rams added to it.

That will make you run the system smoothly for a while.

I am launching a social network as part a multi-tiered project dedicated to independent musicians. I would highly suggest looking for something to start off with that is better than an Atom.

While your site will start off low in terms of overall users, it is better to have a machine with specs that could handle even the lowest numbers along with any big spikes with relative ease. I am not sure I would trust an Atom CPU to such a task.

I already have a Quad Core that I am using for starters.

There are a lot of variables, but with what you've given there you shouldn't need to start on anything too intense (an Atom should have no trouble supporting even 2000 members on most options I've seen). For the average client, even with video and music on the site, 500GB of bandwidth is even typically enough. Just be sure that if you're getting a self-managed server that you're comfortable covering the systems administration work on it; and you should do just fine.
    Corey Northcutt | Electric Goat Media
    Currently building this nifty small business ROI calculator.