Question A few questions about VPS

Hi everyone,

This is my first posting here, nonetheless I have been learning a lot by reading your posts.
    I have been with a web hoster for more than a year 1/2 (shared hosting) I do not have any special grief against but now I just need to have my own private room. :-)

I’ve decided to go for a VPS but before making this step forward I would like to know.
    When you have a VPS, will MYSQL server bet included into the allocated VPS ? meaning will Mysql will be installed in your private server ?
    The reason I am asking is I find strange to provide a VPS with MYSQL but wit ONLY 64 Mb !
    I cannot imagine MYSQL running perfectly (with a popular website) with that amount of RAM.

In term of security, will patches be applied with there is new security flaws discovered? (ie SSH). Or will I be the only master on board?
    What about data backup? Will data be backuped by the Web hoster ?
    Please advise.

Thank you

Hi,
    We've got a number of customer running MySQL in 64Mb with no problem, so yes it is possible. The MySQL install is actually inside the server so you have control over it. Also most VPS providers give you swap space so you can go abover the 64MB and into swap giving your more flexibility.

It surprising what you can run out of 64Mb ram TBH. Also all VPS providers will be able to upgrade your ram (at cost obviously)

As for the patches some companies do some don't. Also data backup may/may not be done by the hoster however you should always have your own backup incase the host goes under

HTH

Rgds

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

^^
    this guy rocks. service and support has been great for me, especially in the rocky first week while I set stuff up.

Thank you guys for your input.
    When you have a VPS/VDS, it is better to have a Cpanel.

What other software alternative we can install into the VPS ?
    Is Webmin a good thing ?
    Thanks,
    Jayce

VDS/VPS is good, provided that there's some sort of CPU-sharing scheme. Otherwise, one account can take many CPU resources and others will grieve over it.
    As for MySQL - VPS is like a real server, so you can run pretty much anything on it, including MySQL, Apache, any other software that fits into specs you're given. You can fit a lot into 64 Mb, just be sure to upgrade when needed.