Hybrid View

Best Litespeed Hosts?

I'm looking for recommendations and advice on any reputable hosting services that use Litespeed/application hosting for my power hungry WordPress build. My current host seems to go down too often for my liking, with unexplainable 503 errors and I've never been able to determine what the culprit was that led to these problems, so I'm assuming it's just the product of being on a weak server with shared users. Thanks!

Is your current provider a LiteSpeed provider (I am guessing so with 503 errors). Also - how is your WordPress build "power hungry" - have you not taken steps to reduce the resource usage?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Are you running any WordPress pluggins? Have you tried disabling the pluggins to see if that improves things?
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Yes I'm currently using a Litespeed host. I should say it's my plugins that seem resource hungry, not my actual WordPress build, although deactivating each one for testing has been unhelpful. I have gone through them all and there has been no deterioration in performance. It only happens sporadically, and never long enough for me to quickly seize the opportunity and discover which wayward plugin might be crippling performance. My host says they have no information available on 503 errors so there's no way for me to troubleshoot the issue.

How about keeping plugins disabled for a certain amount of time until you experience the error again to find the culprit, and if you stop experiencing the error then you can just leave the plugin disabled.

Are you using Super Cache plugin with WP? That helps bring the resource usage down for WP blogs.

Did you tried to work with your host about it?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

In 99% of cases 503 errors are PHP crashing. So some code in the PHP is triggering a PHP crash bug. It can also happen if the memory limits in Litespeed are to low for external applications so sometimes PHP is going over the limit. The other reason was bugs in Litespeed itself but I have yet to see any in newer versions.

Your provider should turn on core dumps for for the external application and it will probably dump a core which will tell you why it's throwing a 503 error.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

Your hosting provider should have no problems knowing why your website is going down all the time. They should be able to give you at least some kind of info..
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee U.S.A Based & Operated
    Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

Disabling plugins for periods at a time would probably take me over a month to do before I came up with any solid suspects. My host has since moved my site over to a server with better hardware, so I'll watch and see if that improves things. If it happens again I'll make the core dump suggestion and see what they say. You're right there must be a way to troubleshoot 503 errors so I at least have an idea of what plugin(s) is at fault so I can get rid of the ^@$*ing thing. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnAdams View Post
    Yes I'm currently using a Litespeed host. I should say it's my plugins that seem resource hungry, not my actual WordPress build, although deactivating each one for testing has been unhelpful.
    If you list your plugins here we may be able to suggest which one is causing the issue because some are known to cause resource usage issues in general.

I have gone through them all and there has been no deterioration in performance. It only happens sporadically, and never long enough for me to quickly seize the opportunity and discover which wayward plugin might be crippling performance.
    It can be very hard to track down resource usage caused by something that is sporadic but realistically if it's not consistent enough to be able to troubleshoot I would question if it was a real issue that your host should address.

My host says they have no information available on 503 errors so there's no way for me to troubleshoot the issue.
    I've only seen 503 errors in some buggy LiteSpeed releases but generally LiteSpeedTech has cleared those up quickly and released updated versions. If your provider isn't staying up to date with LiteSpeed releases then it is very possible that they are on one of the buggy releases. I believe they were 4.0.6~4.0.9.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    In 99% of cases 503 errors are PHP crashing. So some code in the PHP is triggering a PHP crash bug. It can also happen if the memory limits in Litespeed are to low for external applications so sometimes PHP is going over the limit. The other reason was bugs in Litespeed itself but I have yet to see any in newer versions.
    I've only once seen 503's caused by PHP Crashing but you're definitely right that it is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    Your provider should turn on core dumps for for the external application and it will probably dump a core which will tell you why it's throwing a 503 error.
    Absolutely - it's not something you can do but your provider should be able to. If they don't know how to enable the core dumps and then read the contents of said core dumps you may want to find a new provider.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.