Beachcomber vs Hostnine ?

Hi

I have been looking for both hosting companies Beachcomber vs Hostnine. The good news is that both companies don't oversell nor scam people. Beachcomber has a good reputation in providing dedicated servers, but not sure about shared hosting.

I want your feedback on both hosting companies in terms of :

Customer support.
    Server's uptime and load.

Regards,
    Expert5

NB: If you are to tell me use the "search" function, then it was used! I want a fresh thread with some fresh reviews.

What makes you think they aren't overselling? 225GB of transfer and 10,000MB of space for $15/month smells like overselling to me.

This is not overselling : 10GB space is normal for the price of $15/month compared to plans offered by hostgator of 600GB for $9.

225 GB of bandwidth cost a lot more than $10, that's overselling.
    And because many people do offer 10 GB of space to $15 that only means that a lot of companies do oversell too.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

That is overselling, but it's not gross overselling.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

I don't think you should consider it overselling as I don't believe they are overselling their available resources on hand to a point that they would not be able to meet the demand.

You have to look at this like an all you can eat buffet. You have people that will try and eat as much as they can, but the idea is that the majority of customers will eat smaller portions, thus balancing it out. The owners monitor the food and will close down the buffet if and when they felt they were not able to meet the demands of the customers.

Much like hosting companies - they monitor their services and if they begin to get overloaded, they will alter their strategy to ensure the demands of the customers are continually met.

Unfortunately, smaller companies (startups) see the larger players doing this, believing they they too can manage their reseller account in the same fashion. This is when you should use the term, overselling because they don't have the resources to meet the demand.

A nice replacement phrase for the big boys: Below Cost Services - not Overselling.

I disagree, although you can expand resources, I think we should compare this to a dedicated server. Let's take a server for example, and let's say that it costs $200 per month to run, and it has a 250GB hard drive, and 1500GB of diskspace. If you offered reseller accounts with 225GB of bandwidth, you would only be able to satify 6 accounts, before you go past the allocated resources. 6 accounts would only bring you $90. Regardless of whether this is the big boys or the smaller hosts, I still think of this as overselling. Yes, you could order more resources, and meet the demands, but would it truly be profitable at this point? You're still banking on the fact that people won't use the resources that they have allocated to them. I do believe that hosts should sell left over resources, it would make business sense, but overselling to a point to where you have unrealistic package resources to me is still overselling. Of course they can expand and provide these resources, but it's a numbers game, and they would suspend the moment you used too much cpu. I think that overselling like this, makes the ToS so restrictive, that you have to suspend instantly for some reason or another. Let's say you had above package, and that you used 225GB of bandwidth. By the time you reached that, they would probably suspend you for using too much CPU or being a file distributor or something like that. I hope I made sense, because I was typing as I was thinking. I'm not bashing anyone or any hosts, this is just my personal opinion, and as a hosting customer, this would be my train of thought.

is this the site for the beach comber host?
    http://beachcomber.net/hosting.htm

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Bobby View Post
    I disagree, although you can expand resources, I think we should compare this to a dedicated server. Let's take a server for example, and let's say that it costs $200 per month to run, and it has a 250GB hard drive, and 1500GB of diskspace. If you offered reseller accounts with 225GB of bandwidth, you would only be able to satify 6 accounts, before you go past the allocated resources. 6 accounts would only bring you $90. Regardless of whether this is the big boys or the smaller hosts, I still think of this as overselling. Yes, you could order more resources, and meet the demands, but would it truly be profitable at this point? You're still banking on the fact that people won't use the resources that they have allocated to them. I do believe that hosts should sell left over resources, it would make business sense, but overselling to a point to where you have unrealistic package resources to me is still overselling. Of course they can expand and provide these resources, but it's a numbers game, and they would suspend the moment you used too much cpu. I think that overselling like this, makes the ToS so restrictive, that you have to suspend instantly for some reason or another. Let's say you had above package, and that you used 225GB of bandwidth. By the time you reached that, they would probably suspend you for using too much CPU or being a file distributor or something like that. I hope I made sense, because I was typing as I was thinking. I'm not bashing anyone or any hosts, this is just my personal opinion, and as a hosting customer, this would be my train of thought.
    It's okay to no agree with me. I never stated my explanation was without flaw however, I still stand by it.

If done correctly and managed, then yes, you can successfully offer the larger plans and still make bank. Hostgator, Site5, etc. do it each and every day.

Does this mean I want to be on a server that operates in this below cost arrangement - No Da'Gum Way.

Quote Originally Posted by jerett View Post
    It's okay to no agree with me. I never stated my explanation was without flaw however, I still stand by it.

If done correctly and managed, then yes, you can successfully offer the larger plans and still make bank. Hostgator, Site5, etc. do it each and every day.

Does this mean I want to be on a server that operates in this below cost arrangement - No Da'Gum Way.
    That's cool dude. I understand your point of view, and I'm not trying to bash you or anything. I just have my own thoughts on it, just from me being a hosting customer as well. When we debate this, and discuss it, this allows people to read what we have wrote and draw their own conclusions.

First, there is a fine line between careful overselling and giving customers a data-center for $10.00.

Second, I have had accounts with HostNine in the past, but have yet to try BeachComber. I will say that when I first started hosting with HostNine that I had perfect service, both on live chat and support tickets. However, over the past few months, HostNine's support has dramatically declined. I have checked up on them a few times in the past week and they are acting quite slow.

Maybe they are thinking up their next "Future of Hosting" event

I don't think you should consider it overselling as I don't believe they are overselling their available resources on hand to a point that they would not be able to meet the demand.
    Then you agree it's overselling, but you think it's properly managed. Overselling does not imply server overloading or mismanagement or resources, despite the term often being used as if it would.

is this the site for the beach comber host?
    http://beachcomber.net/hosting.htm
    Sure is.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post

Sure is.
    Thanks I found several sites by that name so wanted to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by amichan View Post
    Thanks I found several sites by that name so wanted to be sure.
    This industry is definitely saturated with hosting providers. However, I believe that there should be some sort of qualification you must go through to become a legal hosting provider, just like businesses do today.

Having to sign papers and pay for paperwork would weed out those that are true to the industry and those that don't know what they are doing.
    Last edited by JohnJ; 10-12-2007 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    This industry is definitely saturated with hosting providers. However, I believe that there should be some sort of qualification you must go through to become a legal hosting provider, just like businesses do today.

Having to sign papers and pay for paperwork would weed out those that are true to the industry and those that don't know what they are doing.
    They do not do that now?
    wow thats scary.

Anybody that has money can sell hosting.

That explains how some kid ripped me off last year with hosting.
    Good thing the place he was reselling though gave me a refund.

I was wondering how a 16 year old could own a hosting company last year but figured he got help.

You can legally own a business at any reasonable age. But the problem is that most businesses that are run by teens are not legal.

Ah I had my own business once and I registered it and got a little plaque (I can not spell the other one but is pronounced the same) from the state saying it was legal.

You had to renew that every year too.

Practically anyone can become a host. Just get a reseller account somewhere, throw a site up, and there you go. No one can see your legality status, so everyone assumes they are legal.

You are actually legal to some extent. It really depends on how much you make yearly and how legal you can make your business look. They only problem is that unless you have an LLC or equivalent, if your "buisness" is sued, your family screwed.