Thread: DNS Servers

DNS Servers

Anyone have any suggestions/tips for setting up multiple DNS servers for my servers so that downtime is very low in the case that the current DNS goes offline?

Thanks
    Not sure what to put here :-P

The Secondary DNS service provided by http://freedns.afraid.org seems to suffice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseweb View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions/tips for setting up multiple DNS servers for my servers so that downtime is very low in the case that the current DNS goes offline?

Thanks
    are you using Cpanel?

Setup secondary servers preferably in different physical locations or at least on different network segments. If you have multi homed hosts they would be a good choice for DNS servers.

I am afraid that control panels such as cpanel, etc... have really crippled people when it comes to knowing how something works. A control panel is no substitute for knowing something like DNS and how to set it up yourself without a control panel. That's just my opinion. I guess I am old school. There's no school like the old school.

mooseweb from your site in your sig I can see you are having cPanel servers, hence best suited is cPanel DNSonly

Get one or two decent VPS in different geographical locations and use them as DNS cluster, switch off DNS on the main servers.

Additional benefit is you and your client will be using same set of NS, no need to have multiple NS for each server.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Quote Originally Posted by Vinayak_Sharma View Post
    mooseweb from your site in your sig I can see you are having cPanel servers, hence best suited is cPanel DNSonly

Get one or two decent VPS in different geographical locations and use them as DNS cluster, switch off DNS on the main servers.

Additional benefit is you and your client will be using same set of NS, no need to have multiple NS for each server.
    this is my sugestion too!

We are running a DNS cluster with 3 DNS servers in different data centers. So far, it has been useful, even though we have yet to have a downtime on any of the DNS servers.