Need help deciding whether to renew a domain

Hi

I have a domain which is 2 words with one hyphen, it is 2.5 years old, i havent done any work on its SEO apart from putting up a page and leaving it there coz i havent had time.

The details are as follows:

Pagerank: 3
    External Backlinks: 2
    Referring Domains: 1
    Alexa Rank: 12343269
    Not in the first 10 pages of google

The domain expiry date has come up, should i renew it or just get a new domain. A new domain would cost 99p or is it worth renewing this domain for £3.50 ?

I am working on the SEO of another site when i get time i will do some work on it maybe in a few weeks time....

I think you should renew it, if you're certain you will do some work on it or you will need it in the future.
    Uptime Monitor - Minimize your downtime by being the first to know about it!

Blacklist Monitor - Are any of your IPs or Domains blacklisted? Find out before it gets to affect you or your clients.

...also

after reading up on SEO, i have this thought in the back of my mind..someone else has the same domain name without the hyphen then what if users type it in without the hyphen, my traffic will go to their site ?

Quote Originally Posted by jaffacake2014 View Post
    ...also

after reading up on SEO, i have this thought in the back of my mind..someone else has the same domain name without the hyphen then what if users type it in without the hyphen, my traffic will go to their site ?
    Let me ask you this, when was the last time you actually typed in a full website address into your browser? It's either already there from your history, or you have it bookmarked, or you click on a link from another site/mail/social/etc, or you click a link from a search on google/bing/etc.

There's another issue of someone having the same exact domain without the hyphen, that's it you're basically competing on the same keywords and if someone will ever search for your site in particular on google they might also visit the other website as well.
    Uptime Monitor - Minimize your downtime by being the first to know about it!

Blacklist Monitor - Are any of your IPs or Domains blacklisted? Find out before it gets to affect you or your clients.

That is true, but im also thinking when you tell someone the domain name like for example: my-domain.co.uk

...am i gonna say 'my dash domain dot co dot uk' or 'my domain dot co dot uk' and then what if some people forget the dash and then end up in somneone else site, that is lost traffic.

you can renew and register new one.
    301 redirect from your old domain name should save your SEO benefits.

if i do a 301 it would mean i would have renew this domain for £3.50 plus the charges for the new domain.

Do you think its worth renewing the existing domain with a page rank of 3 and very little traffic ? I have only had about a dozen subscribers to my mailing list on that domain and thats it.

Try selling it if you believe it has good keywords. PR3 domains can sell for nice amount..