View Poll Results: Did your revenue increase when switching from Linux only hosting to Linux/Windows?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, monthly revenue increased significantly

5 17.24%
  • Yes, monthly revenue increased moderately

3 10.34%
  • Yes, but only a little increase in monthly revenue

5 17.24%
  • No, I didn't notice any change in monthly revenue

16 55.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Did your revenue increase when switchin from Linux only hosting to Linux and Windows?

Hi there,

Im searching for some input from those of you who once switched from linux only hosting to offering both linux and windows hosting. Did your revenue increase? I just wondered how many customers are lost by offering only linux hosting. Does anybody here know any statistics on how the market share for each of these market segments are today? I hope that someone with the experience will respond to the poll, and any comments are gratefully received.

Thanks
    John
    Last edited by cyberbear; 12-28-2004 at 07:09 PM.

I too would be interested in this.

I three would be interested in this.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Me forth..heh

I should be getting a windows 2003 server box soon, Starting offering linux resellers/windows resellers. I like'd the idea of something fresh and the remote desktop..heh

I don't think many people want to host windows hosting just because it doesnt support anything.

why run windows when linux does it better?

That opinion is a bit biased. I like both server platforms.

But for certian things we need alternatives. Easier to use, Support for special things such as ASP.net, MS SQL etc etc

We all cant use linux for everything..

There are quite a few applications that are Windows specific that potential clients may need/want.

Only thing that puts me off is the $30/mo part and plesk and then if i wanted MS SQL its way over $300/mo...

But..some people need it. I just want it for ASP.net

i don't have static but if i'm not mistakeing. Linux is eating up Unix market while Windows still hold strong on it's own.

this is based on server sell by tire1 pc maker like Dell, HP...etc.

i believe the figure was windows have grow and so did Linux but the biggest loser is Sun's server with Solaris (Unix) Isn't the low end server with Intel chip is one of main reason that force Sun to release its Solaris for x86 market.

anyway, you're just offering another hosting platform. it won't hurt your bottom line.

Its directed at totaly different markets, of course it'll hurt your "bottom line" in some way. You just gotta falunt it in a good way to make sucess out of new things

Originally posted by camers
    Only thing that puts me off is the $30/mo part and plesk and then if i wanted MS SQL its way over $300/mo...

But..some people need it. I just want it for ASP.net
    about MS SQL...here is an good arugment point that i heard from MS community.

with all the database driven web apps on the net. it's simpler to upload a file-based database such as MS Access because it's easier to move to another host/server than to unplug a db from say...MySQL or MS SQL and plug it into another host/server database server. i agree with that point of view to simply upload a file based database and your webapp is ready to go without extra tweaking and since some host have database and web server on seperate box. it may delay you to setup your web app.

SQL and Visual Studio Express going to be a wild card. MS is going to offer an end to end development platofrm (Windows/iIS6 + SQL Express + Visual Studio Express) you don't need ftp to upload anything your customer can do their web development from just one software pacakge. i beleive WebMatrix can do the same...connect to IIS6 upload the file, and connect to SQL server...etc.

it'll be interest to find out how Visual Studio Express and SQL express going to play out in the coming year 2005. (i think that's when MS plan to release both product and really push their .Net framework)

anyway, i'm keeping an eye on Visual Studio and SQL express combo and see how it play out.
    Last edited by jt2377; 12-29-2004 at 02:05 AM.

Yes all looks very promising. I am a small company with only one server right now, and just looking for my second after getting my upgraded server tonight.. mobing fast but i still dont have $350 for MS SQL.. But i may suggest to anyone thinking of windows getting a shared SQL to get them off their feet i guess

At the moment I've yet to see enough requests for ASP.net/ASP/MSSQL based webhosting. Those I do see seem to think it is far too expensive.

Until Microsoft decides to lower the price of Windows and related software (MSSQL for example) I don't see it as being worth it.

Originally posted by camers
    Yes all looks very promising. I am a small company with only one server right now, and just looking for my second after getting my upgraded server tonight.. mobing fast but i still dont have $350 for MS SQL.. But i may suggest to anyone thinking of windows getting a shared SQL to get them off their feet i guess
    lol...i'm the same but i just got another one from LT. beat u to it.

why run windows when linux does it better?
    I think that it also depends on the customers point of view. Many are just ordinary users and don't know much more about computers than how to use them. Using a windows computer at their home, for instance, they may not know that it doesn't matter if their site is hosted on a linux or windows platform. Those that knows and use windows, may choose windows hosting. Isn't that correct?

John

We added a windows server mainly for existing clients that had a need for both Linux and Windows systems, the response was quite good and now we offer windows reseller alongside Linux plans.

Originally posted by cyberbear
    I think that it also depends on the customers point of view. Many are just ordinary users and don't know much more about computers than how to use them. Using a windows computer at their home, for instance, they may not know that it doesn't matter if their site is hosted on a linux or windows platform. Those that knows and use windows, may choose windows hosting. Isn't that correct?

John
    Not really. Dell use Windows since IIS4 for their website and the fact is there are lot of companies use Microsoft technology for web and they all seem to run fine. the most important thing about security is actually human side. (admin) you can have a bad admin screw up linux too.

ever heard Dell got hacked?

ever heard Dell got hacked?
    I'm not talking about security, but what makes customers choose either windows or linux hosting. If I, for instance, were a potential customer and had used windows at my home for some years, I would probably choose what I felt comfortable with. We know that it doesn't matter, but do they?

John

Originally posted by jt2377
    with all the database driven web apps on the net. it's simpler to upload a file-based database such as MS Access because it's easier to move to another host/server than to unplug a db from say...MySQL or MS SQL and plug it into another host/server database server. i agree with that point of view to simply upload a file based database and your webapp is ready to go without extra tweaking and since some host have database and web server on seperate box. it may delay you to setup your web app.
    I agree that it's very convenient to just upload a database-file and get going. Fortunately, PHP offers something that's quite similar to what you described: SQLite.

I haven't tried it myself, but I'll probably use it for the next small PHP project I'll work on.

No experience on the increase of sales by offering hosting on both platforms. The windows server I'm running is still just for personal use; I don't feel confident enough with IIS to start offering any commercial service.

Our business is built around Windows. We've had quite alot of success

MSSQL, ASP.NET, etc. are gaining popularly quite a bit these days.

Microsoft licensing is very reasonable. $169/month for a SQL Server Standard 1 Proc. Windows 2003 web edition is priced at $11/month

SQL Server is one of the most popular high-end database solutions for its price.
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

where did you get your SQL pricing??

Microsoft Service Provider Licensing Agreement (SPLA)

As a service provider, you cannot buy retail software and host with it, you must pay monthly

Yes i know, but i mean where? Say if i rented servers from theplanet the charge is something like $350/month ?

They make a good profit

Originally posted by cyberbear
    I'm not talking about security, but what makes customers choose either windows or linux hosting. If I, for instance, were a potential customer and had used windows at my home for some years, I would probably choose what I felt comfortable with. We know that it doesn't matter, but do they?

John
    I don't believe it matters to them either, just so long as they can use Frontpage to upload their website. Windows hosting, in general, is also much more expensive due to the licensing required.

Add that to the fact PHP, CGI, MySQL....etc... are under GNU licencing - I can see why most (probably unknowingly) choose Linux over Windows.
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast