Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sameev29

it's better then 2 x 7200 - in RAID 1

So yes, it's better.

But SAS drives ar always better - cause you get more speed.

Check your options to get 10.000 RPM drives or even 15.000 RPM drives if possible.
    SubHosting.net – Managed dedicated and VPS servers.
    http://www.SubHosting.net

Quote Originally Posted by sameev29 View Post
    Will 4 SATA 2 7200rpm hard drives in RAID-10 be okay?
    If you're doing WD Black Caviars you can do maybe max 8-10 VPS and then you'll run into IOPS bottleneck problems again with the disks

Quote Originally Posted by NEMON View Post
    sameev29

Yes that's right better do RAID 1 then unless you get RE4/RE3, it also depends on what RAID controller you're using you need to know all specs...

But you're beginning to see with VPS it's not about the CPU or RAM it's all about Disks and RAID setup that's limiting you...

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik Holben View Post
    If you're doing WD Black Caviars you can do maybe max 8-10 VPS and then you'll run into IOPS bottleneck problems again with the disks

Yes that's right better do RAID 1 then unless you get RE4/RE3, it also depends on what RAID controller you're using you need to know all specs...

But you're beginning to see with VPS it's not about the CPU or RAM it's all about Disks and RAID setup that's limiting you...
    I wanted to know how to use the maximum power of cpu and ram.That's why I was asking about hard drive setup.

I am not going to use my server for vps,it will only be used for shared hosting.Does your suggestion goes for shared hosting too?

I am not going to use my server for vps,it will only be used for shared hosting.Does your suggestion goes for shared hosting too?
    Yes more or less the same with Shared Hosting as they both have a pattern of high IOPS heavy Random Read and Writes on the disks...

I wanted to know how to use the maximum power of cpu and ram.That's why I was asking about hard drive setup.

Well the way to use "maximum" power of something is to push it to the limit. I have no idea what you running on server so I cant tell you "When you put 100 more domains, that's the limit"

Basicly, you put as much clients you think it's OK - and until server is working ok for you, then it's ok. You should never go over 60-70% resources you have on your hand, so you have stability when something "strange" happen. (Like some website get alot of visitors or whatever).

I know people who have 2000-3000+ domains on server - while on next server they have only 5 domains, cause domains use different resources, some ar just business websites (100 visitors per day) - while others have 20.000+ visitors per day, so amount of domains really means nothing as well.

no, it`s not enough, because they offer only 10 TB bandwidth per month at 100 Mbs, after that they will reduce your connection at 10 Mbs...i don`t think 10 TB is enough for 20 VPS...Additional traffic is very expensive at hetzner....trust me, i know

explorator7,

why you say 10 TB is not enough ? what if each VPS use only 400 GB per month ? More then enough.

Also, traffic is not expensive at hetzner - it's only around 6,90 Euro-ish

ANd trust me that's cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by FedoraIT View Post
    There's really no difference between Xeons and i7's besides maybe some more L3 Cache, higher testing levels for server environments, and maybe some additional virtualization features. You have to think about how much RAM the VPSes will be using, it's not a good idea to "oversell" or over allot RAM because if, between the VPSes, more than 24GB RAM is physically used, you'll encounter some issues.

Now, not all VPSes will use all of their alloted memory 24/7 so you do have a margin there, but don't risk it.

As far as bandwidth goes, make sure you have atleast a Gbps connection, especially if you have clients spread that far. A 100Mbps pipe generally won't be enough for that amount of VPSes and might get bogged down if the clients are running heavy network operations (Downloading, uploading, serving files, etc). Make sure it's unmetered too, or restrict your client's bandwidth so you don't have any overages.
    I's say QPI vs NSB is a substantial improvement.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Quote Originally Posted by NEMON View Post
    sameev29

So yes, it's better.

But SAS drives ar always better - cause you get more speed.

Check your options to get 10.000 RPM drives or even 15.000 RPM drives if possible.
    Is SAS and SSD same in performance?I also saw SAS drives can't be found in 1TB or 2TB space.

Overall I want to use a powerful server to host many domains to reduce cost,as I am very low on budget.

No, SAS drives aint even close to a good ssd, even the worst ssd's outperfomence a SAS drive but ssd is more expensive as well. If its better price/perfomence i dont know, but pure perfomence its not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by fdmu876 View Post
    No, SAS drives aint even close to a good ssd, even the worst ssd's outperfomence a SAS drive but ssd is more expensive as well. If its better price/perfomence i dont know, but pure perfomence its not even close.
    Is the data reading speed(rpm)the same of both?

Is the data reading speed(rpm)the same of both?
    Not even close.

A 15k SAS gives you 200 IOPS.

An SSD gives you 20K IOPS or more. That's over 100 times faster than a 15k SAS.

Thank you continuation, im strugling with finding any IOPS comparisons but i will continue my search.

Anyways, i will be back later whenever i found/make up some numbers myself (okey, i wont do that!) but in the meantime i think its important for you to understand the diffrence between these as it sounds like your confused!

A SAS, SATA, IDE and so on is physically harddrives, meaning it has a physically thing it reads from, just like a CD or DVD. It means it will be slower as it has a physic object inside wich is limited at either (5,4k, and yes, i even saw a few server companies with 5,4k drives still, STAY AWAY FROM THESE!) 7,2k, 10k or 15k speeds (of course theres alot of diffrence on how its made as well!) and got a very small cache (usually 8-64 mb for branded drives nowadays), the cache is what makes it remember what it loaded recently, meaning if its a recently added or loaded file it will find it very quickly, but if it is a old file the harddrive need to search for it by spinning around.

A SSD have abseloute nothing inside it wich is moving, consider it as a huge USB but without the limit of USB 2.0 or 3.0, just meaning its quicker as it never need to spin around to find the files its searching for, it know exactly where everything is and where to place it.

Please correct me if i am mistaken with something!

Quote Originally Posted by continuation View Post
    Not even close.

A 15k SAS gives you 200 IOPS.

An SSD gives you 20K IOPS or more. That's over 100 times faster than a 15k SAS.
    Dam,that's a lot of difference.Can you suggest me good hosts or data centers who provides cheap servers with SAS and SSD's.

Quote Originally Posted by fdmu876 View Post
    Thank you continuation, im strugling with finding any IOPS comparisons but i will continue my search.

Anyways, i will be back later whenever i found/make up some numbers myself (okey, i wont do that!) but in the meantime i think its important for you to understand the diffrence between these as it sounds like your confused!

A SAS, SATA, IDE and so on is physically harddrives, meaning it has a physically thing it reads from, just like a CD or DVD. It means it will be slower as it has a physic object inside wich is limited at either (5,4k, and yes, i even saw a few server companies with 5,4k drives still, STAY AWAY FROM THESE!) 7,2k, 10k or 15k speeds (of course theres alot of diffrence on how its made as well!) and got a very small cache (usually 8-64 mb for branded drives nowadays), the cache is what makes it remember what it loaded recently, meaning if its a recently added or loaded file it will find it very quickly, but if it is a old file the harddrive need to search for it by spinning around.

A SSD have abseloute nothing inside it wich is moving, consider it as a huge USB but without the limit of USB 2.0 or 3.0, just meaning its quicker as it never need to spin around to find the files its searching for, it know exactly where everything is and where to place it.

Please correct me if i am mistaken with something!
    I haven't seen any company providing servers with high space SSD,like 1TB or 2TB.What can be done with this space shortage problem?

Uhhh you wont find any server providors with 1tb SSD drives as it would become VERY expensive! (we are looking at 2500$+ for a single 1tb ssd drive, and im not even sure if they are out for us consumers yet), and for a 512 gb (in my country at least) we are about 700$+ for a single one of these. Also, keep in mind SSD´s is diying faster than a SAS or SATA drive, meaning more disk-failures and might becoming expensive for you if you choose to colocate a machine, wich i would recommend! I have however no clue about what a SAS drive is on costs as i never realy looked into those, i allways used RAID for my personal system and never realy had a IO demanding service on my server.

One solution could be to run servers with SSD´s but without any raid, and buy another server with some SATA drives with more capacity to do backups, but i have no clue if this is a secure and reliable solution.

Another solution could be to buy a test server with 6 or more SATA2-3 drives in and test if it would meet your requirements, forexample hetzner have a full 14 day refund period and 30 days if you have a very good reason to cancel the server at lets say day 25.

A third one would be to just go with quite a few SAS drives, but as said i have no ideas how expensive this is going to be.

EDIT: and for good host with cheap prices, i have no idea. i myself just brought a new server from dade2.com (hint, look offers section) for a pretty good price with 10tb data and 1gbit upload, but i cant say how it perfoms and how the service is as it is not online yet, i will comment on this tomorrow where it should be up.

What i should get here is: I7-2600 | 16 gig ram | 2x3 TB HDD and 1gbit upload with 10tb data for 100$/month, i have no clue if they can meet your requirements with disks/if they make custom servers.
    Last edited by fdmu876; 05-07-2012 at 06:04 PM.

How many hosts in the world providing shared,vps,reseller packages uses SAS or SSD hard drives?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12