Which one: ubuntu 6.06 LTS or Debian 4.0?

Hello,

what would you recommend? I have ubuntu on development machine, and also on home pc. I am very used to it. But both are newer versions than 6.06.

What would be better for dedicated server? The Debian is newer (April 07) than Ubuntu LTS (June 2006), should I therefore go for debian? How different is ubuntu from debian?

I would like to stay with ubuntu, but if you advanced people recommend debian, I will use it!

Just note: I want to compile apache and php myself anyway, so this is not the issue. But there may be other packages, that are newer on debian...

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
    Elliot.

I don't really know the difference between the two - although i know that ubuntu is based on debian.

Personally i would say go with what you are most comfortable with - at the end of the day, linux is linux, and the packages you put on it are generally the same. If you're going to be doing all your own compiling then even better (just make sure that any control panel software you use - if any - is supported on that distribution)
    Regards,
    Leigh

Host High - reliable UK hosting

Elliot,

I prefer Ubuntu over Debian... although the are simliar, Ubuntu just seems much more streamlined and nimble to me.

Ubuntu is what I use on my desktop.

Tracy Phillips

Elliot01. As you are aware there are several differences between desktop use and server use when it comes to Linux and there is more to it that which one is newer (which is a concern for desktop use).

A server must be stable and rock solid. As such, there are a few issues to consider such as:

How long will I get guaranteed security updates for this OS? I actually can't say for Debian 4 off the top of my head but Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) has guaranteed security updates until 2011. That's why it's different from the desktop versions.

Linux versions are very different from each other and all they usually share are a kernel version or two. Pre-compiled binaries (rpm, deb, etc) are all different in that each distribution and version uses different gcc versions, libraries, static and dynamic links and so on.

There are measurable differences in performance in all versions so I would advise against falling into the Linux is Linux trap - especially for server use.

You say you are going to compile apache and php which would be highly recommended anyway but there are some other progs that may affect your decision such as subversion - Ubuntu LTS has an older version 1.3.1 while debian has the newer 1.4.2 version.

I now this doesn't actually help in your decision but it may add some tangible features to consider.

My personal opinion is Ubuntu as I like the guaranteed updates until 2011 and the majority of 'addons' or 'services' (email, subversion, etc) I compile myself.

However, I also have Debian 4 on a couple of servers and VPSs and it is great at the moment - I do not know how it will stack up in 3 years time. So, for me, if I had a choice I would go for Ubuntu LTS.

HTH

Talking Ubuntu...

I've did a comparison between Debian and Ubuntu in some physical servers and VPS and I have noticed that over Ubuntu environment Linux commands and operations, apps and more runs much more rapid (including installs and updates by apt-get). Note that Debian does not save or display .gif due lzw disabled (because the Unysis Lempel-Ziv-Welch algorithm patent issue). I evaluated all Debian and for me (IMHO) the best is Sarge. Concerning Ubuntu it's latest release is simply fantastic (I used it in VPSLink, a place I strongly recommend for all developers interested in evaluate a lot of Linux distros under Open VZ).

Regards
    The-REV, OS/2 Guru
    http://macarloshark.com/
    Trusted Since 1997
    Blog: http://my.opera.com/The-REV/blog/

6. Ubuntu 6.06 is based on the Debian testing/unstable branch that became Debian stable 4.0 in April, so they are pretty much the same animal apart from the installer, and at least for me, the Ubuntu repositories seem to be a little snappier.

I have a desktop workstation at home running Ubuntu 6.06 that I use to test security updates (actually pretty much all software) before I apply them to my server and haven't run into any system breakers yet.

Well the difference you really would notice between Debian and Ubuntu is that in Debian there is a root account but in Ubuntu there isn't.
    Normally in Ubuntu you would use sudo to use administrative features.

I personally choose Debian because I have administered Debian servers for sometime and feel confortable with "how it works" but if you are comfortable with Ubuntu's sudo way, I suggest you go with Ubuntu
    Yudai Yamagishi

I'd have to use Debian, I run Ubuntu as a main OS/Distro for my laptop/desktop, but I'd never use it as a server.

Just a personal preference.

If you're happy with the desktop version and the LTS I'd recommend that you go with that one. I mainly use Debian (not that much Ubuntu) so I can't give you a performance comparison.
    -Mr Bister

Ummmmm.

There is a root account in Ubuntu

If you had rather login as root instead of a regular user, just do:

sudo passwd root

That will do it for you and now you can login as root.

You might want to make sure that sshd allows root logins first though

Tracy Phillips

I would much rather Debian over Ubuntu for a server. Though like somone else said their alike.
    ModulaOne Network - Premium, Reliable, & Affordable
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee. 15 Day Money-Back Guarantee.
    cPanel/ WHM | Nginx + Varnish | CloudFlare | Softaculous

Debian is better off for a server from my personal experiences, but Ubuntu is better for your everyday house PC/laptop.

Agreed. I think that Debian is better suited for a server. The latest release (Etch, 4.0) has mostly caught up with recent versions of commonly used software (Apache, PHP, MySQL) and the kernel will work reasonably well even with some of the more modern hardware.

In my non-hosting life I run about 15 Ubuntu LTS servers. These are mostly 'office' servers doing file sharing and firewalling as opposed to web servers, but they're still remarkably stable. 95% of the problems we have are Windows/Linux compatibility issues usually surrounding Samba.

Quote Originally Posted by HV | Tracy View Post
    Ummmmm.

There is a root account in Ubuntu

If you had rather login as root instead of a regular user, just do:

sudo passwd root

That will do it for you and now you can login as root.

You might want to make sure that sshd allows root logins first though
    Yes, but it is NOT recommended by the developers and therefore it is "locked"
    After you use it you can sudo passwd -l root to lock it again though.
    But in Ubuntu the most recommended way to use its root features is by doing sudo -i or sudo <command>
    Yudai Yamagishi

Yudai,

Its Unix. Your statements would apply to all Unix.

I don't think admins are going to sudo around all the time.

Tracy Phillips

Thanks to everybody.

I have decided to stay with Ubuntu. No problems so far. I have used CentOS as server OS and I find ubuntu (or debian) much more friendlier to manage.

There is something more between me and Ubuntu

Elliot01,

Great decision.

We feel the same way. Now if only cPanel supported it

Tracy Phillips