Test your knowledge of the law...

First person to answer this correctly AND tell me why gets a cookie
    Test Your Knowledge:
    A police officer is responding to a call with lights and sirens on. He approaches an intersection, and has the green light. You have a red light, but blow the light and hit us. Who's at fault?

Your light is red, wouldn't it be your fault?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Muyskens

Your light is red, wouldn't it be your fault?

Nope. It's the cop's fault, but I'll be really impressed if someone can tell me why

Oh really?
    *puts on thinking cap*
    I could use a new car....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick H

Nope. It's the cop's fault, but I'll be really impressed if someone can tell me why

Maybe because when the police are driving in response to emergency on call, the light change from red to green in a second to let the police pass through and stop all traffic.

Is the police officer responding to a call from the doughnut shop?
    On the phone while driving? (against the law here anyway )
    Quote:

You have a red light, but blow the light and hit us.

I think the answer is in there somewhere, it's worded sort of oddly.. I think

Your question was confusing. If the citizen blows a red light and strikes the squad car, the citizen is at fault (being a squad car is irrelevant, the citizen blew the red light).
    If the squad car blew the red light and struck a citizen, then the squad car is the offending vehicle. Part of the rules of running lights and siren include ensuring traffic is cleared from the intersection prior to proceeding.
    The rules are the same for police, fire and ambulances running lights and siren, although I am not sure about President Elects.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertk1

Part of the rules of running lights and siren include ensuring traffic is cleared from the intersection prior to proceeding

Right! But - the same rules apply even if the light on the officer's side is green. They still have to slow down and clear the intersection.

Quote:

First person to answer this correctly AND tell me why gets a cookie
    Test Your Knowledge:
    A police officer is responding to a call with lights and sirens on. He approaches an intersection, and has the green light. You have a red light, but blow the light and hit us. Who's at fault?

Who/what does "us" refer to there?

__________________Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now With .NET 3.5, MSSQL 2005, PHP5, and MySQL 5Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!Equinix Secaucus (NYC Metro). Now with Internap (1000 Mbps) and Level3 (1000 Mbps)

Quote:

Right! But - the same rules apply even if the light on the officer's side is green. They still have to slow down and clear the intersection.

Where is this law stated? If you run a red light in any situation, you are breaking the law, and if you strike a car who was passing through a green light while doing so, you are at fault. Why would this change when you strike a police car that is in an emergency situation? I understand that it is probably stated somewhere that it is a police officer's responsibility to use caution when driving through traffic during emergencies, but based on my experience in traffic court, I don't see any judge upholding a law that says he is fault when you hit him while breaking one of the most basic laws of traffic.

__________________••If one picture is worth a thousand words, what is the value of an entire movie?••••Check out our flash tutorials here •• http://www.ivialis.com sales@ivialis.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by FHDave

Who/what does "us" refer to there?

This is a hypothetical situation...where the "us" refers to the officer's car.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IvialisRyan

Where is this law stated? If you run a red light in any situation, you are breaking the law, and if you strike a car who was passing through a green light while doing so, you are at fault. Why would this change when you strike a police car that is in an emergency situation? I understand that it is probably stated somewhere that it is a police officer's responsibility to use caution when driving through traffic during emergencies, but based on my experience in traffic court, I don't see any judge upholding a law that says he is fault when you hit him while breaking one of the most basic laws of traffic.

The person that ran the red light would get a ticket, no doubt. However, for the purposes of accident/insurance fault - the officer would be at fault.