can I buy Windows Server license for one time fee?

Is it possible instead of paying monthly windows license fee to provider, so I purchase a windows server license for lifetime for personal website use and ask hosting provider to use my license so I dont have to pay monthly windows license fee?

Compare to linux, it seems windows is far away too expensive and most web host suggest by default linux OS instead of windows which I familiar with. Also not many web host provides windows server for free and even if its free the monthly payment will be more expensive compare to linux with same spec.

Does microsoft think about this?
    Can I purchase personal windows server license and grant provider to use my license and remove it once I move to other provider?

As far as Microsoft is concerned, you can buy their software and then use it on rented hardware, sure. The thing is, most providers won't let you do this because it's a liability to them.

Letting people self-license makes it easy for people to use pirated software, and that then becomes a liability to the host if Microsoft audits them. Even a client using legitimately self-licensed software becomes a liability to the host as they don't have the license on hand in the event of an audit, and Microsoft will ask for that certificate of authenticity. Microsoft doesn't care if the software activates - they simply care that you have a certificate stating that you have a license for that environment. If the host can't provide that because the license is sitting at your house (or in a dump... you'd be surprised how many people throw that certificate away) instead of at their facility, they could have fines imposed on them, or lose their agreement, so most simply won't risk it.
    vNucleus - Serious Managed Xen VPS Hosting
    █ James Riley, Founder & Managing Partner
    Windows & Linux, 24/7 Monitoring & Fully In-House Support, Managed Off-Site Backups, 99.99% Uptime SLA, Self-Managed Available

Quote Originally Posted by Thalagyrt View Post
    As far as Microsoft is concerned, you can buy their software and then use it on rented hardware, sure. The thing is, most providers won't let you do this because it's a liability to them.

Letting people self-license makes it easy for people to use pirated software, and that then becomes a liability to the host if Microsoft audits them. Even a client using legitimately self-licensed software becomes a liability to the host as they don't have the license on hand in the event of an audit, and Microsoft will ask for that certificate of authenticity. Microsoft doesn't care if the software activates - they simply care that you have a certificate stating that you have a license for that environment. If the host can't provide that because the license is sitting at your house (or in a dump... you'd be surprised how many people throw that certificate away) instead of at their facility, they could have fines imposed on them, or lose their agreement, so most simply won't risk it.
    thanks for the highlight
    i actually found out some hosting they write "Windows 2008 Standard (Unlicensed)" does this kind of provider means that they are requiring you to have a windows key?

I would not go with a provider which has something unlicensed but may be you can share the link of this provider

You will need to get and sign a SPLA contract and pay monthly usage in case if you will use Windows for hosting. You can't use other licenses, including retail and OEM for it.

If you were to find a web host that would allow you to use your own license you would be able to use a retail copy, much in the same way you would be able to use a retail copy on your own dedicated server if you colo'd one.

This should not brake the Microsoft license, to be 100% call a licence seller, most large sellers have Microsoft accredited sales advisers.