Unhappy Domain .com issues

Hi, i own several .com domains. My issue is that my old host will not reply to my mails, probably because they have gone bust once or twice! So i can get the .co.uk ones sorted through nominet, however the .com ones I dont know where to start to get them back.
    Any ideas appreciated?

Find a new host, then go to your .com registrar and change nameservers to your new host. You don't need to communicate with your previous host to do that.

What happens when the domain is about to expire though? Where do i renew it as i wont renew it with the old host and the new host cant see it?

Your host is likely a reseller for a registrar. Do a WHOIS (at link below) to find the registrar's name then contact them.

http://www.verisigninc.com/en_US/pro...is/index.xhtml

Quote Originally Posted by funktheory View Post
    What happens when the domain is about to expire though? Where do i renew it as i wont renew it with the old host and the new host cant see it?
    What Techno said. Your "host" is the provider who maintains the server where your web page content resides and is made available. Your domain name is maintained by your "registrar." As Techno pointed-out, some domain registrars also offer hosting services.

You will not be able to change registrars without the cooperation of your old (current) registrar. That's for your protection, to prevent another registrar from hijacking your domain.

ok thanks, i have a feeling this will be a long road with nno end but will try

Quote Originally Posted by funktheory View Post
    ok thanks, i have a feeling this will be a long road with nno end but will try
    15 years ago we used to pay a lot more for domains, perhaps $25 to $35 per year. Around that time I was in the process of migrating all of my domains to a discount registrar, but I had one registrar who refused to release a domain.

The way they did it was to simply ignore my migration requests, but still email renewal notices to me. The domain expired, and they refused to release the domain to Godaddy until I paid $25 for another year with them. I still demanded the transfer, and they complied, but I was out $25.

I send a few complaints to ICANN, but none were seriously entertained. Hopefully it demonstrated a pattern. Bottom line, you're at their mercy and there really isn't much recourse.

Enter your domain name and select domain...who is your Registrar using this link?
    http://www.verisigninc.com/en_US/pro...is/index.xhtml

I cant post it here as it wont let me use vb code or links

see if this works its onl1nenic

Most (if not all) registrars have set procedures for dealing with registrants whose domains are registered through rogue or defunct resellers.

As long as your domain names are registered in your own name (rather than that of the reseller) Onlinenic will be able to retrieve your domains from your defunct reseller

You sure they've gone? No other way to contact them? Telephone or fax? Cuz as far as I know once domain register has gone, your domain wouldn't be available any more. So I suggest you trying to contact them in other way if there is any.

Do you have the ability to transfer the domain ? If so you can just initiate the transfer to another Registrar ... once the transfer is initiated .. the administrative contact of the domain name will receive a mail to confirm or decline the transfer. At the same time an email is sent to the losing Registrar (OnlineNic in this case). If they do not approve it in sometime (5days i think) the request goes through automatically. A mail is then sent to the gaining registrar (wherever you decide to move) and they have the option of accepting or denying (usually set to auto approve).

Quote Originally Posted by StoneWilson View Post
    You sure they've gone? No other way to contact them? Telephone or fax? Cuz as far as I know once domain register has gone, your domain wouldn't be available any more. So I suggest you trying to contact them in other way if there is any.
    As I understand it the OP is talking about a reseller, not a registrar.

If a reseller disappears the domains will continue to be registered until the registration period runs out. If the reseller is providing hosting then the hosting may disappear sooner - that depends on when the reseller's contract with their upstream provider runs out.

I have come across resellers that had disappeared with their web sites still up and running and telephone numbers still connected (but going to voicemail) and everything looking entirely normal.

The OP needs to contact the Registrar. The Registrar will then attempt to contact the reseller and give them a deadline by which to respond, and if they don't respond then the Registrar will take control of the reseller's domains.