Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plan your website at the very beginning then start to execute it step by step. Think what you want on your website and how you can implement it in affordable and feasible way. Hire a professional service provider and make clear all your needs to him.

Keywords research are very important before writing content.

i open notepad, and start writing my ideas for sites.. and when i write all that, then i'm doing what i have planned...
    It really works

As a web designer, I love it when my clients draw out a sketch of were they like things to go and how they would like them, It helps me make the design more appealing to there market!

i find wireframing tools like balsamiq useful

Great Point Guys:
    Yes paper work is the most essential part here.
    1.You first have to be clear what u want your website layout to be.
    2.How the menu buttons should look like.
    3.Whether the website will have left or right sidebar or both.
    4.Design a logo for your website which you can place in the header.
    5.Knowledge of Colors is really important as it can change the whole look and feel of the website.Age group of people your website is intended for can also help in choosing colors.Like brighter colors work well with children & youth,where as go for soft shades like blue,brown and maroon,grey for older groups.
    6.Add a footer Note.
    7.Very important to design a master page for Your website.
    8.Keep A Contact Us & feeds option otherwise it wont be anything more than a static Website.
    9.You can Use a Picture in the background.
    10.Keep Content Justified & Simple.
    11.Make it visually Attractive.
    12.Add Hover Effects on buttons.
    13.Make Use of Tables & divisions where Possible.
    14.Add Picture Slideshows n Gallery Where needed.
    15.Use A good Font Typeface which is readable & Use the Same Size for All pages.
    Keep These Points in Mind while DeSigning

plan your project , search for webdesign companies , make your content good , select proper domain name , get outbound links

Something to consider when initiating your design phase:

Less is usually more. If it's too busy in general, you'll loose the viewer quickly. How many seconds of the viewer's attention do you think you have before they act to leave or explore further? So make it easy to find everything. Lastly, research shows that when people first view something, their eyes will typically move in a 'Z' pattern. Use this natural tendency by placing navigation or important content in key areas.

Quote Originally Posted by wegaonline View Post
    Some of the web sites are either design to "overkill", or it is just plain too dull. It is excited to build your own web site, and get it online initially. The adrenaline rush, excitement etc. But you need to plan what is your web site all about.
    Below are some guides, if you have other suggestion, please add it in this post too:

(a) Objective/ goal
    What are you trying to achieve? Are you selling a product online, or just a personal web site? Building a website is not a one step process, it need to be updated and change according to the needs and trends of the market. If you want the visitors to come back to your site regularly, you'll need to update your page. Havng a mailing list is a good idea to let the visitors know the changes on your web site, but no spamming.

(b) Target audience
    This where you anticipate which visitors will come to your site. If your site offers a service, make sure your site descibe it well. Offers a location map to your office, feedback form, FAQ page etc. If you have a site that targets the younger audience, it would be good to include some web templates that is modern, a product that the younger generation want etc.

If your site sells a product, offer a shopping cart and an online credit card processing form. It is a hassle at the end that the visitor need to bank in the money via bank just to purchase a product. I know that some of you are trying to sae on the processing fees, but believeme, it is not worth it. Try PayPal or other credit card merchants that charges low fees.

Lastly, make sure your site is fast to load, don't include too much Flash animation and graphics. Not all the visitors have a fast Internet connection. Too much pop up ads is certainly a no-no.
    To go with the payment processor, many do prefer a method such as paypal. This way if they have the money in their account, they do not need to worry about a credit card.

As far as the pop ups, those are very annoying to several, including me. I usually do not tend to hang around a site that has this. It turns me off big time and I do not feel that I need to spend any more time on the site. I prefer a site that loads rather fast. I can do without all the flash and huge graphics. If you have a good design and portray it well, you will not need this extra garbage.

look through templatemoster blog. They have a number of articles to help you desside and to know latest trends

Quote Originally Posted by wegaonline View Post
    Lastly, make sure your site is fast to load, don't include too much Flash animation and graphics. Not all the visitors have a fast Internet connection. Too much pop up ads is certainly a no-no.
    This is a good point to stress on. Not everyone has fast internet connections, especially with the increase in the proportion of views from mobile devices. Less data will cost people less to use your site.

Also Google takes into account the speed of loading pages when ranking websites.

Hi! I'm browsing about web design and I landed on this forum. The last reply was last 2008, it's been five years huh! Anyway, as I read your comments and tips, it helps me to have ideas on how should I start in web designing. Thanks for all your comments!

I'm planning to start a business and having a website is big YES to establish my identity in online market. I'm planning to outsource the project to Prime Outsourcing, my friend told me that she had a good experience in partnering with them. And now, it's my time to test them.

Anyway, because of what I have read here, I can clearly say what I need to be done in my website.

Thanks again!

TM

Quote Originally Posted by Mark777 View Post
    look through templatemoster blog. They have a number of articles to help you desside and to know latest trends
    Templatemonster are out of touch IMO, plus their stuff is full of bugs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12