Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron View Post
    If I operate a website visited by thousands of people and post on that site "I terminated this customer" now it's between you, me and those thousands of people. I'd better be damned sure I didn't make a mistake.
    No one has to know that the host was banned from advertising. It's still essentially between the forum site and that host. If the site posted that they terminated a member/host, then that's grounds for a liable lawsuit....and if a host was kicked off of WHT, there would be evidence as to why. The host would look foolish running around complaining about why they were kicked off.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post
    It's the bar's responsibility until you are out of the bar's area. That's why they have to watch all customers closely.
    Yup. I rarely drink, so most times I was the designated driver. We had friends who had "happy hour" before we went out. Before...a venue would love to let them in.....drink some more......spend more $$$$. After that law, security would not let them in. Any possible way to avoid a possible lawsuits down the road.

I don't see why VD got away without paying, look at other big companies, if they don't pay their invoice(s) they suspend licenses, etc. why didn't the provider go "right we're not getting paid, time to phone BurstNET up and take the items belonging to us".

Every time I see such stories, I have to wonder what type of relationship did the host and DC have?!?!?!? It's not like hosting started yesterday. Why would a DC allow a host to over-extend their credit.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Clearly YANAL, because everything you just wrote is ridiculous.

They don't have to do crap.

- They can ban obvious scammers (like most members here want)
    - They can heavily police hosts, which nobody is asking for anyway
    - They can let all manner of riffraff post ads here, which nobody wants.

WHT will either lose credibility with members/readers, or gain respect. Remember, this is the internet. Sites fail all the time because of decision (or indecisions) that are made, and others that are more in line with community wants take their place. Google wasn't first first search engine, and it may not be the last. WHT wasn't the first hosting-topic site, and it can either thrive or shrivel due to decisions like this. Whatever its owners do, they need to choose wisely based on people, not based on $$$ alone.

This VD issue is one of those make/break decisions they face.

I'm old school, so if certain rules/laws/regulations/policies/guidelines were in place, I would have much more respect for WHT or any other forum of the same.

There's already hosting forums for people who like to do questionable things....and the hosts on there always end up in questionable situations. Why can't the same apply here. If your feeding customers garbage, take it elsewhere.
      1 Not allowed!

3. Well I personally think that VolumeDrive is going to claim bankruptcy I have always waited from **** to hit the fan for Volume Drive
      0 Not allowed!

History often repeats itself in hosting, the owners will probably just start a new hosting venture if that happens.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance
      0 Not allowed!

Discussion here can't really change the outcome of the court's decision.. And I strongly disagree with some of the suggestions posted here (although that's my own opinion)..

Having a system such as "you've x bad reviews, so you're out" could be heavily abused, moderating webhosts already happens. What'd you expect? Does any of you want to see webhosts running nulled WHMCS selling UNLIMITED hosting in Russia? Damn, those unlimited SATA drives.

Volumedrive deserves the right to defend themselves in this case, however, they're not going to, which is the 'smartest' legal thing to do, keep their mouth shut.
    From what I've read they're pretty reckless when it comes to their own defense, they don't even bother hiring a lawyer to do their own work properly, which yeah, again, means that they probably don't have any funds in order to pay a lawyer.

Is VD going to claim bankruptcy? No one knows, although it pretty much seems like it, but I do not feel that their customers should be left in the dark.

After all, VolumeDrive hasn't scammed all their customers, I've seen a thread where they stole an SSD (lol) but other than that I think they've just provided a rotten service, like many hosts..

It's not the mod's task to babysit hosts, if the complaints arise it's the customers' common sense that should be working here. If you're incapable of doing simple research then what are you doing in the industry?

Not to mention that going with budget hosts is (most of the time, at least) shooting in your own foot, you're never going to get desired performance from such host, at least, VD.

VD is the first and the last budget host I've ever used. Long live premium brands if you want to stay out of trouble.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AG-Arco View Post
    Long live premium brands if you want to stay out of trouble.
    Good move
      0 Not allowed!

That's true here in the UK too mate, if you left a bar drunk and had a accident, it's the bar's fault and can be charged for letting you leave the bar without being in a taxi. It's the bar's responsibility until you are out of the bar's area. That's why they have to watch all customers closely.
    Yet another way to absolve someone of their own responsibilities and put those 'responsibilities' on someone else than their selves.
      0 Not allowed!

No banning or moderation. Buyers are responsible for at the minimum due diligence of reading reviews at WHT before buying (as they are reminded on the Offers page). Unfortunately there are still some who let cheap prices blind them to bad reviews and blatant warning signs. I note that it's been a month since VD has posted in the Offers section
      0 Not allowed!

Discussion here can't really change the outcome of the court's decision..
    No one with common sense would think a web forum would determine the fate of a case...but over the last many years, sense and common have been far apart.

[QUOTE=AG-Arco;8944182Having a system such as "you've x bad reviews, so you're out" could be heavily abused, moderating webhosts already happens.[/QUOTE]

Can you name 5 examples where webhosts are moderated?

After all, VolumeDrive hasn't scammed all their customers, I've seen a thread where they stole an SSD (lol) but other than that I think they've just provided a rotten service, like many hosts..

So providing bad service is ok? As long as no one mentions the word scam, then providing bad service and KNOWING that they're providing bad service is acceptable?

It's not the mod's task to babysit hosts, if the complaints arise it's the customers' common sense that should be working here. If you're incapable of doing simple research then what are you doing in the industry?

Another reason why scam hosts are successful. If someone is looking for a new host, how did they suddenly become a apart of the hosting industry??????

If I need new tires for my vehicle, I may go with a common name, I may do research, I may ask my social media "friends" (semi-bad idea), I may find a top 10 review site on tires(very bad idea), but with or without research, buying tires didn't initiate myself into the auto industry. If that were the case, I would get the best tires at cost. If a baker is looking for hosting for their new site, why do we expect them to know what about SSD, Raid, or Cpu cycles???? If the baker rented a space for his shop, his main concern is that the shop fit his needs. He didn't suddenly become an structural engineer...then why is he renting the store to sell cupcakes.

Too many times we blast the customer when THEY HAVE NO IDEA. Imagine the amount of people who think Go daddy is the greatest host in the world, only because of a TV ad. Therefore, watching a TV automatically means you are now apart of the hosting industry and the host with the tv ad is good.

Yes, you, I, and others in this thread know better, but we can't be completly naive and say we don't have friends or family that have not a clue what we do or know what this industry is. Heck, even when I worked in music, a friend on mine had no idea how a song is put together and how it ends up on the radio. I explained it to her. I wasn't mad at her...her job in the financial world doesn't require her to know this. Her job in the music world is turning on the car radio and enjoying the music. My job was making her (and others on the planet) enjoy the music. Different industry, same rules...our jobs is to put together a service that works...the customers job is to use that service. Working site, working email, that's it.

Not to mention that going with budget hosts is (most of the time, at least) shooting in your own foot, you're never going to get desired performance from such host, at least, VD.

VD is the first and the last budget host I've ever used. Long live premium brands if you want to stay out of trouble.

Not all host that have ripped people off are cheap hosts. I've seen some that had offers from $30 up to $90 or whatever amount a month, the same as others offering similar packages....how does a customer know this is a scam?

but I do not feel that their customers should be left in the dark.

I have yet to see a scam host follow that rule. It's a part of the scam...gather money....run. What could they possibly say to enlighten the people left in the dark?

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    No banning or moderation. Buyers are responsible for at the minimum due diligence of reading reviews at WHT before buying (as they are reminded on the Offers page). Unfortunately there are still some who let cheap prices blind them to bad reviews and blatant warning signs. I note that it's been a month since VD has posted in the Offers section

- Not all scam hosts offer cheap packages
    - Not all scam hosts have bad reviews right away

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    No banning or moderation.

I can only imagine how the 2014, 2015, and 2016 scam hosts are loving that statement. Every year I see at least 2 or 3 cases of a host jumping ship and running off with people's money. At least on one those hosts had numerous complaints.

Even if we say that some customers found the host through other resources and not WHT, why should WHT entertain allowing them to advertise if they had a bad track record elsewhere. If you rent a living space, the landlord will do a background check. If you ripped off other landlords, why would they rent to you. Because your cute of had a nice smile? Chances are, the new landlord will be ripped off too.

Reminds me of another host on here. Once a post shows up with their name, it becomes a circus. The best part, when the host responds, you KNOW they have no idea what they're doing or saying and get called out each time. At what point do we say Buddy, stop advertising, figure out what's going on, then come back and advertise.
      1 Not allowed!

As much as we all know what the outcome of the suit is going to be, for WHT to take any action before a verdict is passed would be jumping the gun.

Hopefully anyone who reads any advert volumedrive may post will search about them first.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MadzcoHosting View Post
    Yet another way to absolve someone of their own responsibilities and put those 'responsibilities' on someone else than their selves.
    It's just the law, if someone you know is incapable to walk / drive home themselves you don't just chuck them out, you probably allow them to sleep on the sofa, or get a taxi to take them home.

That's the responsibility of the bar staff, they can arrange a Taxi for you to be home safety, as soon as you are far away from the bar, they aren't under your safety any more.

On topic, it's like a company who took customers money, spends it on rubbish and then close shop leaving the customers who paid for a service without anything.
      0 Not allowed!

I am waiting to see how this will turn out. I am sure it will take a couple of more months until everything is processed.

But if I were an existing customer, I would keep backups!

- Daniel
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HackedServer View Post
    I agree, I don't think WHT should police that heavily, it would be far too difficult and unneeded. Consumers should be able to take some precautions on their own, a host that's been around for 4 days and has "amazing deals" shouldn't be used for your company because its a risk.

But, I think VD have gone way beyond that. They continue to scam people and to such a degree that I believe WHT needs to step in. $100k+ lawsuits, multiple reputable businesses being conned, many customers being scammed. The evidence is greatly against them, it should be their job to convince WHT that they are legit if they are. WHT should take action to remove them, and let VD work up a case to get reinstated if they deserve it.
    There's no reason VD should be banned. This forum is a democracy, where we need to evaluate and discuss different providers. If VD makes a mistake, us (the market) can decide whether we want to business with them.

If WHT were to tell us who could participate, the whole forum would lose its value based on the fact that it's not a transparent system.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmax View Post
    There's no reason VD should be banned. This forum is a democracy, where we need to evaluate and discuss different providers. If VD makes a mistake, us (the market) can decide whether we want to business with them.

If WHT were to tell us who could participate, the whole forum would lose its value based on the fact that it's not a transparent system.
    They have banned users in the past for scamming Jmax so your agruement is kinda pointless.
    Remember when ordering a server from a new company use a Credit Card. Paypal will not refund your money if you get scammed.
      1 Not allowed!

New members won't know what they are like will they?
      0 Not allowed!

How do you feel about them not being allowed to advertise, but still able to participate on the forums? I feel like that is really the best option.
      2 Not allowed!

How do you feel about them not being allowed to advertise, but still able to participate on the forums? I feel like that is really the best option.
    +1 I think they should be able to respond to things but the advertising should be stopped. I think WHT have the right to choose who can and cannot advertise on their site.
    Remember when ordering a server from a new company use a Credit Card. Paypal will not refund your money if you get scammed.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with you @HackedServer. They should be regulated to some extent, and not being able to advertise would be fair in my opinion.

There are so many facets to this, but ultimately I like the idea of it being an open forum where we can rely on customer experiences to learn about each provider. So keeping them in the discussion, but avoiding the commercial aspect, after violating WHT's terms seems solid.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers
      0 Not allowed!

Just a few points to add:

Aaron isn't going to search for positive reviews. They are there for anyone to search on their own. I for one had positive experience with VD 2+ years ago. Many others have.

To the person asking how you can argue both sides of an argument, that is just called being thoughtful. It is blindly taking one side and assuming the other side is stupid that has our world messed up.

Speaking for myself, I don't think VD should be banned. They will self implode with their foolishness in dealing with suppliers which will affect their customers but they are not IMO scamming customers. I do however understand why some would think they should be. It is just a very dangerous precedent to set.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services
      0 Not allowed!

You just said in your own post that the are going to implode and yet you think its a dangerous precedent to set to protect your community from something you know is dangerous. Your right but the dangerous precedent has been already set.
      0 Not allowed!

That's the responsibility of the bar staff, they can arrange a Taxi for you to be home safety, as soon as you are far away from the bar, they aren't under your safety any more.
    I don't know if distance is a factor. Whether 20 feet or 20 miles, the venue could still be liable if the person is involved in an accident. I don't know the details of that law;

- does it not apply the next morning
    - does it not apply when the person is in a safe residence
    - does it not apply when the person is sober

Who knows. Let's have a while we figure this out.

I agree with you @HackedServer. They should be regulated to some extent, and not being able to advertise would be fair in my opinion.

There are so many facets to this, but ultimately I like the idea of it being an open forum where we can rely on customer experiences to learn about each provider. So keeping them in the discussion, but avoiding the commercial aspect, after violating WHT's terms seems solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    Aaron isn't going to search for positive reviews.

I support this and in essence, from the customers stand point, we would still hear positive or negative about a host. It's only the negative reviews that would be of concern.

We all know that a positive review or any can be hard to come by (a day to gain one customer, 5 minutes to lose 500 customers), but if a host is doing a good job, we will know.

Speaking for myself, I don't think VD should be banned. They will self implode with their foolishness in dealing with suppliers which will affect their customers but they are not IMO scamming customers. I do however understand why some would think they should be. It is just a very dangerous precedent to set.
    I haven't dealt with VD, so my comments are in general. ALL hosts have a bad moment, no way around that. How they deal with it is key...BUT if they jump ship, they already wrote what they want people to think of them.

One thought...could be amusing or insulting. If a host is suspended or banned from advertising, and we allow them to post in forums, would any of us take them seriously...although WE wouldn't know if they lost that privilege. Maybe allowing them to post would be their way rebuilding trust. Of course with losing adverting privileges they would not be allowed to use their signature. Maybe the ban could be your account going back to probation mode. Just like a job....3 months probation period. Do good and your allowed "freedom" in your work. Do poorly, back on probation until you can prove your self. Fail at that...fired.

Just throwing ideas.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Injection View Post

Also Aaron did you find those links yet?
    What links?
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net
      0 Not allowed!

Aaron isn't going to search for positive reviews. They are there for anyone to search on their own. I for one had positive experience with VD 2+ years ago. Many others have.
    Oh, those links. Yes, search is your friend. Do one for volumedrive and get past this post, you'll see plenty of people suggesting them for low end servers after the last "issue".
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net
      0 Not allowed!

Volumedrive DOES get it right..sometimes, but they should be blocked from advertising based on principal, because it really does look like they engage in suspicious activities...to put it mildly.

I'd say block from advertising until the lawsuit is settled, if they didn't do what was claimed, allow them to advertise, if they did, block them permanently.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    I'd say block from advertising until the lawsuit is settled, if they didn't do what was claimed, allow them to advertise, if they did, block them permanently.
    I don't understand why blocking them until they clear themselves is so outrageous to some people. Its their responsibility to make sure their company does end up in such muddy water, it is reasonable for it to be their responsibility to clear their name. It isn't the duty of WHT to defend companies and be an open marketing field. If its for the better of the community, or even on the borderline, it is alright to take precautions and ask VD to defend themselves to earn their right to advertise.

I don't understand what's unfair about that.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast