Moving large sites from one host to another

Hi everybody!
    I have to move some large websites from one host to another. The websites contain data about 1 - 3 GB, and my internet connection here is not that fast, so that downloading and uploading would take many hours. Unfortunately I have no SSH-Access to both accounts (old and new one), so I have to make it by FTP.

So I tried to make a tar file and moved it from the old to the new host. I made a tar archive of the whole webfolder (I used php to execute the shell commmands) and moved it by ftp to the new host. But now I´ve got troubles when extracting the archive on the new host: the extracted files are obviously created by the wrong user, so I can´t delete or access them by ftp.

So I´m trying to find other solutions to fix these problems. Maybe someone else had the same problems and could give me advice how to move large sites? Or do you know php-applications that can directly connect one host accout to another via ftp?

I would be happy if somebody can help me!

You should ask your host to help you out with this; they could have FTPed your data over for you and extract it under the right userid's ; but if you want to do it yourself try this:

extract the tar with the -o option.
    Do not attempt to restore ownership when extracting. This is the
    default behavior for ordinary users, so this option has an effect
    only for the superuser.
    Last edited by 040Hosting; 10-04-2008 at 06:52 AM. Reason: clarified quote

Most host will move your site free if it's the same control panel(Example: CPanel). Ask your host to help you out.

All the best,

You could just ask your host to unzip your tar file via SSH.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

Ask to your host to chown the extracted files.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore