Cool

Hi Everybody,

I hope everyone has had a safe & relaxing weekend--things have been pretty nice here on the West Coast. =)

Like I wrote in a previous post, I am in the process of setting up my reseller site, to bundle with a service I already offer. Since I want to learn as much as I can (to be able to offer the best support to my clients) I have been doing a lot of studying (thanks for the links to the great info!)

However, there is one thing I'd like to learn how to do the right way, and I was hoping I could learn from your experience. And that has to do with the transfer of existing domains for new clients. (I already have a company with whom I will register new names)But I am unsure as to how to go about transfering an existing domain.

For instance, Network Solutions requires that any modifications of Domain info be sent from the registered e-mail address. How would I go about doing that? Do I simply give the client the nameserver info and let them do it? I would prefer to offer better service than that, so any light y'all can shed would be appreciated.

Thanks..and have a happy week!
    Briguy

If you request the change from whatever email address you use, the client will get mail from NetSol asking for confirmation of that change. So just advise them of that beforehand, and they should be able to follow the instructions in the NetSol mail. But actually I've approached it by telling clients that they'll get email about the change, and they should forward it to me and I'll take care of it -- in those instances when I had little confidence in a client's ability to follow instructions!

Of course your best bet might be to just request transfer to the register of your choice. Same thing will happen -- the client will get email asking for confirmation -- but you won't have to deal with Network Solutions again. Downside, of course, is you'll have to register a year with your new registrar.

Originally posted by Briguy
    Do I simply give the client the nameserver info and let them do it?
    I think this might be the best way. If they are with NetSol, then a little step-by-step on your site would surely be appreciated. Just realize that you can be helpful, without actually having to do anything (aside from designing the step-by-steps once).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Wink Sounds Good

Hi there,

Thanks for the replies! I suppose the best bet will be to design a nice step-by-step for my clients. I'm sure I'll still have to field calls about this, but maybe I can reduce the number!

Though transfering a clients domain will cost me a year, it sure does seem like it might even be worth the investment just so I don't have to deal with NetSol. Oh, well--Lot's to think about in this business, but I'm really excited about the challenge!

Thanks again for your replies--I am learning a TON. By the time I am ready to lease a dedicated server, I should be pretty knowledgeable, thanks to this forum & all the great people here.

Take care,
    Briguy

Re: Sounds Good

Originally posted by Briguy
    Though transfering a clients domain will cost me a year, it sure does seem like it might even be worth the investment just so I don't have to deal with NetSol
    The only thing I have to say about this is, what would you say if your host asked you to change registrars?

Alos, changing registrars is more of a hassle than changing DNS, and I think you'll run into more problems going this route. Some require fax authorizations, and often there is a more than a week of uncertainty. A nice step by step (really only required for NetSol), as a guide should do the trick under most circumstances.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Good Point...

Chicken,

You make a good point about the hassle of changing registrars. The great thing about being in my position is that I am very flexible--I have yet to form any solid opinions about anything, so I'm able to absorb as much of other's experiences as I can. Learning is good!

Thanks for your knowledge & time,
    Brian

transfering from netsol will be your best first move.

I use OpenSRS and making changes to the nameserver, contact information, ownership is a piece of cake.

using netsol I had regular heart attacks because the changes were not being made and my clients were asking me questions

so if you have a cool registrar to transfer over to I would recommend doing it. Also with transfers although you have to pay for a year with the new registrar, the year adds to the current time on the domain.

but the best part is doing a transfer requires very little interaction with netsol. Your new registrar handles most of the work

later

David
    Systematic Software
    david.iyoha@systware.com
    http://www.systware.com