Hybrid View

Arrow Looking for a high quality Shared Windows Host.

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a Windows host that supports the following:

- MS SQL or MySQL
    - ASP / ASP.NET
    - High Quality Customer Support (24x7), Phone Support too.
    - 100% Uptime

Last year our site (http://www.bbreloader.com) ran into issues with our current web host, goDaddy.com (yeah, now I know.) We had constant issues of our MySQL Database going down due to too many concurrent connections, which ultimately affected our site.

Our software application interfaces with the database application to validate customer accounts and therefore we need reliability and 100% uptime.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff
    www.bbreloader.com

What are your disk space and bandwidth requirements? Is there a specific budget or is quality the only concern?
    Phil

CrystalTech

Hey Phil,

Having large amounts of disk space isn't really necessary. Bandwidth should be at least 200 GB a month. More won't hurt, but less would be cutting it close.

We're really looking for quality service so cost isn't entirely a big issue. However if we can avoid shelling out on a dedicated server than that would be better.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fullwave View Post
    Hey Phil,

Having large amounts of disk space isn't really necessary. Bandwidth should be at least 200 GB a month. More won't hurt, but less would be cutting it close.

We're really looking for quality service so cost isn't entirely a big issue. However if we can avoid shelling out on a dedicated server than that would be better.

Thanks!
    The best way for you to find out the QOS of a company is going to be talking to their customers. Most really good hosts will have their own public forums which will allow you to interact with customers of that host. I would suggest making a list of hosts that are suggested and start posting on their forums to get feedback from their current clients. If there is one thing about us, web hosting customers, it’s our ability to be brutally honest about our experiences.
    Phil

CrystalTech

If a Shared hosting account can provide what we need, then that would be perfect!

I initially think your larger question is how many concurrent SQL connections is your application attempting to use at peak loads? Regardless of hosts there's simply limits to what is generally allowed in shared hosting. It's largely your application that'll determine whether or not you're shared, VPS or dedicated and not the particular host.

I'm only trying to help you, so please don't misinterpret my comments, but this statement right here, "Our software application interfaces with the database application to validate customer accounts and therefore we need reliability and 100% uptime" implies (to me) you are not a candidate for shared hosting. You're dedicated and in fact to do it *right* you're dedicated and on multiple servers, however everyones definition of 100% reliability is different so...

I see clients wanting "100% reliability" and only willing to spend $50-100/month max all the time and there's a reality and expectation level that needs to be adjusted and met. The question is, how much downtime are you willing to accept and what amount are you willing to pay to achieve that?

I'm not saying ruling out shared hosting... there's plenty of good hosts and you might fit into one of those plans. Just don't think that spending $100/month buys you out of downtime. You can spend 10x and still experience issues. <<snipped by request>>

Good luck!

Wayne
    Last edited by bear; 11-28-2007 at 11:44 AM.

You might want to consider a fully managed dedicated server using MSSQL Express as this will give you full control over your hosting environment. Try to get t a setup where your have DNS and email failover if possible. Good luck.

Real 100% uptime is simply not possible on a shared service, machines need to be rebooted for upgrades, security updates etc etc.

You should be looking at a dedicated solution with 2 or more servers, each covering the other while they are down. even then you are not immune to a general localised network failure unless the servers are on separate networks.

Maybe you should make your requirements a little more realistic.

I agree with ServWise!

If you want to have 100% uptime on a shared server -- not gonnna happen (for the reasons listed by Serv)

therefore, i do suggest you using a dedicated host, or getting your own VPS

Dedicated solution seems to be best for you.. You can have a look at the Offers section for good deals..

Cheers,
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

no one will offer you 100% uptime, on a dedicated server would be close to 100% but yoy never know what can happend...

You can't really offer 100% on a dedicated server as the host doesn't have full control over what goes on with the server. If you didn't allow root access then it might be possible but that defeats the purpose of having a dedicated server. Some hosts will offer 100% uptime on their network as they have full control over this.

Yes asking for feedback on host's forums is a great idea. Also have the existing clients post their sites so you can check the speed and validity.