Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Computers

Green Computers

According to http://www.techroar.com/2009/06/03/green-computers/ you can buy a Green Intel Dual Core 2.0GHz at around $500... only bit expensive than the normal

seems like Green Computers will conquer the market soon

seems like they have changed the page( and i cant edit the post).... the correct one is http://www.techroar.com/green-computers/

"Asus hasn’t just laid strips of wood over a plastic cover. Its new Ecobook is an honest attempt to become better friends with the environment. "

Since when is covering a computer's case with wood enviro-friendly?
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Not as expensive as I would have expected. Hopefully they'll take off and then prices will come down. I'd consider one I think.

Passed by, had a look casually.

I don't get how does this make it Green?

How does this make the computer green? Sure, you use less plastic. However, computers are not like the plastic bags they give you in the supermarket - they are reusable, like the shopping bags they encourage you to buy.

The "green" computers are really a marketing thing... when will we really see resource-efficient, energy-saving computers? That would be better than plastering a computer with wood. That just doesn't justify the extra price.

Oh, isn't the thread in the wrong section?
    bikster.com - Quality Hosting. Affordable Prices.
    Providing premium quality shared and reseller cPanel/WHM hosting at low prices!
    Reseller cPanel/WHM hosting solutions that you can afford

The reason making it out of bamboo makes it green is that bamboo grows quickly so its not a tax on the environment. These are also made with other recycled materials, so yes, they are very Green in terms of helping the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by bikster View Post
    How does this make the computer green? Sure, you use less plastic. However, computers are not like the plastic bags they give you in the supermarket - they are reusable, like the shopping bags they encourage you to buy.

The "green" computers are really a marketing thing... when will we really see resource-efficient, energy-saving computers? That would be better than plastering a computer with wood. That just doesn't justify the extra price.

Although anything less taxing on the environment is good, I agree that it may not make a huge difference. Ways of computers using less energy is the way forward. The materials they are made out of are not that significant - it's not like millions of computers are being made each day.

MACS are green.

OF course it is good to see computers that use less energy, for example like the intel Atom processors, those are really great. But I have to agree with bikster for now all the green thing is more a marketing thing than anything else, that is why I custom build my green computers, I use the old cases, but an new low voltage power supply, some intel Atom, some Ram and use some of those samsung green harddisks. This way I was able to reduce the power costs for an one time investment (it is worth it and it makes you feel so much better).

If you are really wanting a green computer the new mini desktop pcs are the way to go they run on 9watt of power, less then 90% current desktop power!

PCs and information-technology equipment consume $8 billion in annual electricity costs each year in the United States. The price is even greater when you factor in carbon emissions caused by this power use, which contribute to global warming.
    Source: http://computershopper.com/feature/h...buy-a-green-pc

how i know thats green?

If only we would all stop caring so much about making money and start caring about existing. No planet = no money, after all.

there can be cheap than Green Computers but nobody can be as Green Computers

doesn't it take less energy (i.e. used at the factories) to make a wooden shell, instead of a plastic one? surely a plastic factory will burn more coal, use more electricity and produce more harmful gases than a wood making factory, which could even make use of "hand made techniques" to reduce electricity use altogether.
    South African Web Hosting - http://www.SoftDux.co.za || SA WebHostingTalk - http://www.webhostingtalk.co.za

Wood is not good with heat really

And energy is not only electricity, it's also the work put in to make it, which is significantly higher
    Cheapest Multiple C Class IP Hosting

sure, but you can treat wood to be safe with heat. Besides, if your PC / server reaches 100 degrees Celsius, then you have other worries as well

AND, the manual labour involved to make wooden chassis means fewer machines will operate, less electricity will be used
    South African Web Hosting - http://www.SoftDux.co.za || SA WebHostingTalk - http://www.webhostingtalk.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoKinkaid View Post
    MACS are green.
    An Apple PC is no greener than a Windows PC.

They use almost identical hardware, with design differences for appearances and 1 chip being the primary difference.

The Operating Systems both use much of the same technology for sleep mode, etc...

So, an Apple PC Running Mac OSX is no more green than the same hardware running Windows.

They look really nice, I would purchase one If I had the money.

I agree, AnnekeR.

The big benefits of Green computers/Hosting/Energy are of course the reduced carbon footprint - as mentioned with the minis running on 9 watts power. This alone means that the power plants are pushing out less energy, meaning less 'fuel' needs be used to power computers.

The packaging side of this again shows a reduction in production costs for plastics and other synthetics used in computing. While not as big an impact as green energy(for computing/hosting), packaging innovations for computers and peripheral equipment could eventually be useful in reducing energy use(in production) as well as in making computers more 'disposable'.

Consider the fact that computers DO get tossed regularly as the market and available products change...how many Commodore 64's are still used for business? Or punch card computers? While not as massive as automobile graveyards, our computing past still takes up considerable space in our landfill sites, so reducing this even by a small margin could be beneficial in the long run.

You are 100% right.

i agree

I agree, it's all about marketing. "green" became a buzzword & marketing folks love buzzwords because the press loves buzzwords

What is green computer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast