Thread: Work experience

Work experience

Hi there all, I am 14 and in London. I am looking for work experience in the hosting industry or web design industry. I have approached a few companies but I thought I would try a more personal touch, so thus this post was born.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction or give me a hand in anyway. The placement would be in June , between the 13th and 24th, and I would work normal office hours.

I am very interested in the IT industry particularly hosting and web design.

Thanks

N Kalra
    Last edited by Odd Fact; 02-07-2005 at 05:36 PM.

the best thing you could do at your age is to look through local newspapers, and or internet job sites, for internships in the area you wish to work. A lot of people will probably turn you down just because you are so young. I'm not sure if it's the same way in London, but in America when you start getting into a corporate enviroment they like you to be at least 18 for liability and legal reasons. However a lot of places will offer internships for people who are still in highschool. So if there are any local companies near you I would try with them. I don't want to seem like a damper on your plans but at the age of 14 it's going to be very hard to get a full time job in the IT industry. I know this from personal experience. Most people will want you to have some kind of degree, or diploma or certification or something. Also on your CV I would remove the part about counterstrike admin, and just put server administrator. It looks slightly more professional and you can go into detail more about what type of server it was if/when you actually get an interview. Also should you get an interview be prepared with samples of work you have done webdesign wise.

just remember your resume isn't the biggest seller for whether or not you get the job or not, that will happen in the interview, Your resume is mostly used to capture the attention of the person who is going through them, be honest, but when it comes to stuff like your skills where you have "gaming server admin" Seeing this would be less interesting to me as seeing "server admin" Also when employers look over resumes they skim over them so you want to make sure your best skills stand out, make sure they are first in your list, because when I see a big list like that I will probably only read the first couple lines. I'm not sure how your employment history is, but you should order it with most recent to earliest. You should also add somewhere on there that referals will be availible on request, and have a list of your previous employers with you to hand them if they should ask for them.

thats about all I have off the top of my head.
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

Its not full time, as part of or our timetable for 2 weeks of the year we have to do work in a business somewhere, so many business do offer support for students.

Thanks for the advice.

The problem that we have is something to do with our personnel insurance, that status all employee's have to be 16 plus.

I will ask around local hosts and let you know young man

Thank you very much Kenny.

Insurance on companys is going to be the main downer, I found it very hard to get a JOB in IT for work experience because of insurance, So i did a 2 week web design course in stead

I have looked there too, not much response, an cannot find many places in London.

If you are willing to look for the job, it is that easy to get it.
    For my work experience I worked for a leading ISP and learnt alot over the week.

It was a great experience.
    Last edited by effusionx1; 02-07-2005 at 05:24 PM.
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Originally posted by fusionx1
    If you are willing to look for the job, it is that easy to get it.
    For my work experience I worked for a leading ISP and learnt alot over the week.

It was a great experience.
    While there may be exceptions, I too had a tough time getting a job or even an internship at many of the bigger (and even smaller) operations. Liability is a big concern with management here, and, according to insurance companies, we sub-18's are a risk!

As of yet I still have nothing, and my deadline for paper work is nearing. Can anyone please recommend a few firms which may be able to help me out if you yourself can not, be it web design,hosting or anything technical.

Thanks for everyones help.

Im on my work experience and i will be working for the Magistrates courts. Apprently quite exciting, in London there should be quite alot of Firms (IT) that would be willing to let you do work experience with them. At your school they should have information on this
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"